News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AGENTS OF THE IMPERIUM - UPDATED 05/29/2015 (Was Inquisition Kill Team)  (Read 12501 times)

Offline Ambience 327

I am likely going to be participating in a Kill Team tournament at my local game store at the end of March. I decided this would be a great chance to build a small force of Inqusition models using mostly bits and kits that I already had on hand. I settled on using one of the Inquisitor characters from a long-running Inquisitor campaign my wife and I are part of, but make him earlier in his career, during his time as an Interrogator under another Inquisitor.

The Kill Team list I am using is as follows:

Interrogator Rahm Belsavis (Ministorum Priest with Power Maul & Bolt Pistol)
    Dorian Shick - Former Hive Ganger (Acolyte w/ Bolter)
    Inquisitorial Stormtrooper Squad ΘΣ-327 (2 Acolytes w/ Bolters, 1 w/ Hot-Shot Lasgun, 1 w/ Plasma Gun, all w/ Carapace Armour)
    Chrono-Gladiator Marius D'Altann (Arco-Flagellant)
    Death Cult Assassin Kristianna Carmisson
    Alexi and Andur Provost, Crusaders of the House of Valiant Champions
    The Son of Thunder (Inquisitorial Razorback w/ Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters and Psybolt Ammo)

Ganger & Interrogator

Stormtroopers w/ Bolters

Stormtroopers w/ Plasma Gun & Hot Shot Lasgun

Chrono-Gladiator & Death Cultist

Crusaders

Below are a pair of Servo-Skulls, hovering over some Tau debris that Belsavis and his team are investigating. These are intended as objective markers. Still need to find some bits to make at least one more, but I'm fresh out of Tau bits that would work well at the moment, and I don't really want to branch out to other Xenos since part of the Tournament judging will be a display base that I am going to start working on soon, and I want all three objective markers to fit in well together on it.

I haven't started painting yet, so there is still room to make changes if anyone makes any good suggestions or notices anything odd I may have missed. Specifically, I am trying to decide whether I want to put Scion backpacks on the other three Stormtroopers to keep them more uniform. Obviously they would have the power cables cut off if I did. Thoughts?

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Inquisition Kill Team
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
very neat kitbashes, this looks very promising!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
Great stuff!  I particularly like that Death Cult Assassin!  Are those spare Harlequin parts?

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »
She's part Harlequin (head and right arm) and part Dark Eldar Wych (other arm, torso and legs).

Offline chaplainmikey

« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Those Scion head look great on the Scout bodies, looking forward to seeing how they look painted.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
She's part Harlequin (head and right arm) and part Dark Eldar Wych (other arm, torso and legs).

Ah, I thought as much.

Excellent and interesting kit bashing overall.  :)

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
I haven't gotten any more work done on the infantry models yet, but I've gotten a good start on the Razorback, the "Son of Thunder"

A few small icons of devotion grace the hatch on the right side.

The left side hatch had a bit more room for embellishment, so I bashed together an Inquisition symbol and added a few more icons of devotion.

For the interior I am going for a "lived in" look, with various items that might aid the Interrogator and his crew in their investigations. Some items are stowed, while others are placed as if they are recently used or ready to be. A spare sword sits tucked away just inside the rear ramp, ready at a moment's notice if something goes sour.

The plan is to have all three of the top hatches remain unglued so as to be able to swap them out for replacements allowing for flexible vehicle class and wargear options. Currently I have the ability to swap the Razorback turret for a Rhino top hatch, as well as the choice to have a Storm Bolter or not. Eventually the third hatch will be swappable for a Hunter Killer Missile and possibly a Searchlight as well.

I still need to paint the interior before I finish gluing the whole thing together, then I can start on painting the exterior as well.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
I like the added details to the interior, like that bag on the bench, the binocs, (not sure about the nid skull), the book, the sword... it makes it look more like a base camp than just a military transport, which is great for a kill team :)
I hope this will remain visible enough when it's all assembled.

Also, neat work on the inquisitorial I. It looks neat and clean!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
Thanks. The Genestealer skull is there because the Inquisitor that these fellows answer to is part of the Ordo Xenos, so I wanted some sort of alien artifact in there, but didn't want to use a weapon or something that might be misconstrued as something they were going to use rather than study.

As to the details remaining visible, they definitely will. The back hatch will open and close of course, but even better is the fact that I'm leaving the top hatch unglued (so it can switch between Rhino and Razorback), so it will be easy to show off the little details when I want to. During a game though, the interior will likely go unnoticed most of the time.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
I agree with vonny the lived in look is really effective. For the uninitiated (that's me) do things like the binoculars and satchel come with the Razorback kit?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »
No, most of the little details I'm adding come from my rather extensive bits box. I've been collecting 40K stuff for nearly 20 years now, so I have quite the collection of odds and ends to choose from. :)

I think the binoculars came from the Cadian Command Squad sprue. Can't recall where the satchel is from. The Genestlear skull comes from the Genestealer sprue of course.

I am thinking of adding a carry strap to the satchel with some thin styrene strip I have.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
I am thinking of adding a carry strap to the satchel with some thin styrene strip I have.

Good luck with that I imagine the scale is going to make it hard to achieve a natural look.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
Getting down to the wire here, so updates will probably start coming a little more frequently until the project is complete. My deadline is March 28th - the day of the Kill Team tournament. It is in the afternoon, so if absolutely necessary I can still work on things the morning of, but I'd prefer to be finished the night before at the latest.

Anyway, on with the show! (Thanks to Turaxa for the helpful suggestions - they made for some nice improvements!)

I have added an Inquisition symbol (using a styrene I beam from my local hobby shop, sliced nice and thin...) to Belsavis' shoulder pad, and added an ornate shield to his waist as well. I wanted to keep it somewhat plain, but mark him out as an Interrogator and a higher rank than any of the others, so I thought these touches would do the trick.

I found a smaller pistol holster for Shick which I like a lot better than the huge one he had before. I also added a small strap from the bottom of the holster to his belt to make it look less "stuck on".

I clipped and filled the shell ejectors on both sides of the hotshot lasgun Stormtrooper, further hiding the look of the bolter it was converted from.

I added several bits and bobs to D'Altann's backpack, as well as an additional strap and another wire connecting the backpack to his chainsaw arm. Hopefully this makes the backpack look a little more like part of the whole rather than an afterthought. I also built up his neck area a bit, and hope the paintjob will make the large head blend in a bit more.

I added some green stuff blocks to the top and bottom of the shield connection points for the Crusaders. The intention here is to make it look like the magnetically attach to the armguards strapped to their forearms.

And here are all three of my objective markers, thanks to a few bits provided by one of my local gaming buddies and my last servo skull. (Eventually I plan to make a total of 6 of these, but only need 3 for the tournament. I hope to get some of the servo skulls from the Space Marine Devastator kit to have even more variety of bits here. Obviously I'll need to acquire some more Tau bits as well, but that can all wait.)

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
I was hoping to get started on painting over the weekend, but it turned out to be too busy. However, I was able to get the interior of the Razorback painted this evening, and should be able to work more on it (and get started on the rest of the team) tomorrow.

I am going for a rather muted scheme, not a lot of bright colors to keep it looking mainly utilitarian. This sane palette will likely carry over to the rest of the kill team as well.

The genestealer skull looks really washed out and very white in these pictures, but it has a bit more depth in person. All the other colors seem to have carried through more or less without change.

Quite pleased with how the strap on the satchel turned out. It would have been a lot easier to have attached it before putting the satchel on the bench, but I didn't think of it until after gluing it down. It was quite fiddly and gave me a few fits, but in the end it was worth it. (Or at least I think so! :))

I still haven't glued it together yet, as I still need to paint the boarding ramp and a bit of the underside of the roof first, but this is how it looks dry-fit together and from a model's eye view.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
Thiz looks pretty damn good to me, i'm looking forward to what's next :D I have to admit that I could not get into it until you now cause there was no painting :/ sry about that. Now i'm fully hooked keep going :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »
this looks pretty brilliant.

That strap is genius, and it finishes the bit perfectly.
If you have the time, you might consider a light application of some shades to increase the visual depth of the items, but either way it looks great.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
See this kind of work only reinforces why you got my Best Modeller vote. When you previously mentioned the strap I thought the scale would be difficult to achieve. This is brilliant though and the effort you are putting into this model just amazes me. Will any of it be visible after you have finished?

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
I think you deserve best modeller too now.  Excellent stuff! :)

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
Thanks guys. Alienscar - I was also quite pleased with how well the strap turned out. Glad you like it. And yes, the details will be visible, but really only when I'm showing off the model. The rear hatch will open of course, but also the top hatch will not be glued down (and will also allow me to swap it between being a Razorback and a Rhino), so it will be easy to show off the interior when it isn't currently providing covering fire for the Interrogator and his compatriots.

Now if only I could paint half as well as I convert... :)

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
The Razorback is finished! The rest of the models are primed black, but no other paint on them yet, so no point in showing them now. I am going to be painting them tonight and tomorrow.

Anyway, on to the Razorback. Really pleased with how it looks. The dark scheme is quite imposing, and I hope that carries over to the rest of the Kill Team this well.

Left Side:

Front:

Closeup of the nameplate, "SON OF THUNDER" - it is a bit washed out in this image, shows up better in person.

Right Side:

Rear:

Inside rear hatch:

These pieces are all removable, and allow me to use the model as either a Razorback w/ Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters (with or without an added Storm Bolter) or a Rhino with just the Storm Bolter. Eventually, I plan to add more options for the small hatch to allow me to put a Hunter Killer Missile or a Searchlight on as well.

Rhino version, right side:

Rhino version, left side: