News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Tactics (or new dirty tricks and tips)  (Read 8481 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
New Tactics (or new dirty tricks and tips)
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
Well, let me first thank Ork E Nuff for pointing out the obvious to me and making me re-re-read the rules so that I am actually playing them correctly.

So, on to the stuff of the thread. Here are some of the lessons learned from my recent games, and some tricks/tips/tactics that seem to now work with the new sets of rules:

Trucks with the wrecking ball seem to work pretty well at attacking dreads, haven't seen an update/faq yet to clarify if the truck attacks during the movement phase or the cc phase, so have been conducting the attacks in the cc phase and of course lots of rule looking uppinng by the various marine cult players.

Trucks are still just as expendable as last set of rules, but seem to explode more now. Maybe it was just the last four games where my opponents seems to roll lots of sixes when killing my trucks. And the S4 hits are much more "irritating". I have found that you need to have your truck boys dismounted by the end of your second turn as the third turn seems to be the turn of trucks exploding.

The bikes are actually pretty good this edition, my nob bikers rules the table against necrons, and I was surprised to see most of them survive to the end of the game. Just make sure the necrons have other stuff to shoot at.

I like taking my skull hamma as my lord of war. With the KFF big mek and a small squad of lootas, three of them meks, inside to repair hull points, etc, it is one hard target that absorbs almost all the heavy shooting of my opponents. While it isn't the game changer that wins all the time, it sure does draw the majority of the shooting from my opponents, leaving the rest of the army totally unscathed.

Lootas are great anti air, just have to have them mounted in a BW with grots to ensure their survivability. I will have to find space in all my future lists for mounted lootas.

Speaking of battle wagons, having the repair grots, really ups the survivability of the BW. Just have to remember that when it is the end of your turn you have to roll the "wont die" rolls before your opponent starts his turn.

The new flash gits are so so. The first game I must have played them wrong as they were wiped out quick. I found the lack of real armor and the pain boy to be very disconcerting. So, I tried them in a BW, but then the git finder don't work, and they still got creamed. Then I tried them behind my "red wall of speed" and they did much better. They got their cover save and since I had added a pain boy that game, half of them survived the game, and they actually did kill some stuff. So it seems that the flash gits are more of a static defence kind of unit, rather than an assault kind of unit, which is rather strange to me as I am so used to having most of my army on the other side ot the table by mid game.

Tank bustas are great at killing armor, just make sure that on your first turn you shoot with the TBs first, (before you let the rest of the army shoot) so that you get your two victory points.  With the new grenade rule, there is now no safe tank in any army. I am really proud of my TBs, as on turn three of a game they assaulted and killed am unscathed bane blade in one turn of combat. Of course the resulting explosion killed a few, but then they passed their LD. (sorry, just had to brag a little)

I haven't been able to pull off a burna boy drive by flaming yet, but they sure do make a mess of beast units that charge BWs.

I love the multiple force org stuff of this new rule set. I have found that if you take the hoard force org (back of the new codex) and include most of your infantry on that one for the hammer of wrath rule, and then multiple additional regular force orgs for the various vehicles, allowing me way more than the restrictive three fast attacks. I was able to include all my buggies, coptas, and planes in one game.

Speaking of buggies, I did try the outflank thing with them. Not quite the game changer I had hoped for, but still good enough that my opponents did not slide their whole army towards mine as they were leaving units in their back field to deal with the buggies.

The Green Baron is now way cheaper than before, and is still a great distractor/suicide unit, that IMO is still worth the effort and the points. Coming on from reserve with some buggies on the other side of the board, really makes my opponents crazy.

Last, but not least; use the cards, to earn victory points. It seems that this edition the game is less about strategy and tactics than it is about playing to the deck of cards. While it does twist the game to a whole new meta of playing, you have to play to the cards to earn the points so that you can secure a victory.  This paragraph should probably be a whole page dissertation of  why you play the cards during a game of 40k, but I will leave you to find out for yourself.

Feel free to add in your lessons learned, I look forward to reading your new tricks, tips, tactics, and sneaky git stuff.  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
Re: New Tactics (or new dirty tricks and tips)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »
Long time, no see! I thought I might just check in and share my few cents.

Regular Meks in a boysmob to save your Nob from challenges. I tried this I a tourney last week and it worked wonderfully! If someone tries to challenge you, just refuse with the Mek. It saves your Nob so that he can punch the rest of the squad.

Megabozz with the lucky stikk. Needs no explanation, rerollable 2+ is magic!

Small fast attack units. I tried a 3-man bikesquad with klaw and a skorchabuggy. To be able to quickly grab those maelstromobjectives is important!

I'll update when I get some more action for my boys. Looking forward for more advices!

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Hi Skeetergod,

Just wanted to give some insights I've had with the five games of Orks I've had so far.

I didn't play Orks in 6th edition - focused more on my other armies during that time and some things changed from 5th ed builds.

Still love Lootas and Tankbustas (full units) in Battlewagons.  Expensive at 1500 pts but versatile and shooty.  I think 140 pts for Battlewagons is the minimum to spend - so reinforced ram, 1 shooty gun, grot riggers, and extra armour.  The Crew Stunned results happen a lot to open-topped vehicles and making that a Crew Shaken result is important.  Remember if BWs move Lootas are snap firing.  And Tankbustas are gold vs anything that is a vehicle, and don't be afraid to assault Monstrous Creatures as they will wreck with meltabombs.

I haven't tried Trukk Boyz yet but heard 'eavy armour is the way to go with them.  "Bikestar" with Biker Boss, Painboss on a bike, and regular Bikers is like a discount Nob squad.  Since most Nob Bike squads only will have 1-2 powerklaws the regular Ork Bikers are almost better in smaller games.

No one assaults Burna Boyz for some reason.  I've used them with a Painboss the hold stuff and no non-walker will assault them.  Putting them in a BW is great, but remember that flamer touching the BW will hurt them now.  I've tried doing the drive by but everyone knows about it and tries to avoid it.

I'm conflicted on using 30 Shoota Boyz now.  A static line in cover they can stay around (without a Nob) for a while because causing Morale checks is time-consuming and low-priority usually.  I'd rather add a Nob w powerklaw and move up the field to do something.  If using 30 Boyz I'd recommend rokkits for upgrades because big shootas don't do much damage.

I'm currently putting together my first unit of Meganobz with killsaws and will report on that when I get a chance to.  That's all I have for input at the moment.

MekEad
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Regular Meks in a boysmob to save your Nob from challenges. I tried this I a tourney last week and it worked wonderfully! If someone tries to challenge you, just refuse with the Mek. It saves your Nob so that he can punch the rest of the squad.
If you refuse a challenge then your Opponent gets to choose who doesn't fight.
So you have to accept the challenge with your Mek.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
If you refuse a challenge then your Opponent gets to choose who doesn't fight.
So you have to accept the challenge with your Mek.

Oh man, I didn't know that. It seems that I have been cheating quite a few games. Well, I won't forget it now. Thanks!

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
I assumed that because the wrecking ball is an Assault weapon with a 3" range, it's now a shooting weapon? Haven't tried it yet, but it might be a good thing to do with a trukk that's dropped its passengers - and I'm intrigued by the idea that there doesn't seem to be any reason it can't be used against flyers. Would love to knock a Doomscythe out of the air with a giant spiky ball...

As for tips and tricks, I am enjoying my biker big mek with a KFF and killsaw. He seems even better at taking down armour than my pk biker warboss, and together they are a menace.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
Using Mogrok's bossboys ...

I outflank a warboss, weirdboy, painboy and 15 grots - I try for hammerhand ... this does a lot of damage ...

I also have an aegis w/comms and two SaG meks behind it in the same list
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »
Another good trick I just learned; since only your primary detachment can get/use the benefits of being an organized detachment, taking a formation as your secondary allows those units to also use benefits. Just keep track of which units get which rules.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
Two new tricks I have just learned, one the hard way.

The dakka jet with its strafing run rule and a fly boss is basically a BS3 twin link wonder, and is actually one of the better shooting platforms in the ork army (besides non moving flash gits).

In a recent game, I found out the hard way that Snikrot does not have any weapons. In his entry his wargear mysteriously leaves out that he has Morks Teef. Sure, there is box that describes what they do, but someone else must have them. The rule lawyers at my local voted 3-0 that snickrot has no hand weapons. Hopefully GW puts out an errata soon that fixes that, otherwise my Snickrot model won't be seeing action again until the next codex.

Keep posting other tips and tricks you find out, till we can all figure out what is working best with this codex.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
Still reading the basic rule book but i keep skimming the ork codex.  Just wondering why there is no love for weird boyz?   With a dedicated magic or physic powers phase I would expect to see more of him. 

Tank bustas seem to have got better this edition so I will include them and with the rules to grots changing the battlewagon will make a great platform for them.   

I really like Grukk's formation list, reminds me a lot of Epic 40k computer game how there was named detachments and you could select them.   He adds a little bit of special rules which makes his little squads a bit better.  The lack of boyz was a bit concerning though.

I like the addition of the Mek.  How is everyone equipping them?   debated going for ranged weapon but that gets hot rule means he has about the same odds as taking himself out as taking out an opponent.  What about a killsaw or is that just a points sink for him?

I am debating magnatizing my mega nobz but it might be a pain to get all the options.  (can't believe gw gave options for each of them to have either combi option) most realistic approach would be to build them with just shootas and magnatize the boss one to be able to outfit him as a big mek.   Killsaws look fun but i am not sure they will be in a position to assault armor which seems to be what they are built for.  I could easily magnatize the wrists so i could change stuff out and the top of the boss one or should i also magnatise the gun ends to be able to have combi weapon options as well?

I see them probably going into the morkanaut or gorkanaut.   

Speaking of which how about a morkanaut with either mega nobz or flashgitz and a pain boy?  seems pretty destructive either way.

I will wait for some play testing before putting my 2 cents in further but as you know I will more than likely be running some sort of kans / dreads or other walking menaces for my army builds.

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »
I'm specifically not equipping (little) meks - just attaching them to units in vehicles. That morkanaut you mentioned needs one or two, I think ( and a KFF). Don't have a naught yet, but if I run one I'm thinking of either a cheap assault nob squad (ie BCs) with a mek (or even big mek with fixin tools), or maxxing meks by taking lootas or burnas (doesn't really matter, they won't be getting out) with 3 out of 5 as meks. Add an extra mek, and the obligatory grot riggers, and that thing would need a whole lot of concentrated fire to bring it down.

But keep meks cheap, and I agee that gets hot is too risky. Just shootas for me!

As far as weirdboyz go, I think it's just that there are so many good HQ options now. You need a warboss, and probably a big mek, and a couple of painboyz, and then you're already into a 3rd CAD if you take a weirdboy. However, I'm more likely to take one now than ever before (ie I didn't, and now I have finally made one). I think the HQ formation might be the answer, but I'm worried about the lack of Waaaagh.

Meganobz are good, but to utilise the killsaws I think you'd need trukks to aim them at the right targets. I have one with killsaws in my new squad of manz, but he's yet to catch a vehicle by walking. As before, I think combi-skorchas are probably the best loadout, or TL shootas. (I'm running a mix of both). The others just won't hit much, and limit you more than anything.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:12:57 AM »
A new dirty trick that got played against me. The blast now covers everything under it on all levels. I had my boys taking up three levels in a ruin after wiping out an enemy squad, when a castalan (sp?) fire rained on them. With the new rules there is no longer a limiting to only hitting the top level. So all the boys on all three levels were hit and of course most of them died.

Yes, there was much rule looking upping, and store owner consultation, and the 7th ed rules no longer limit ordnance/blast hits to only the top level.

Kinda makes grot mortars look good now...

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
ran a BW with heavy armour boyz. 16/+ claw nob + 3 killsaw mini-meks  - awesome anti-vehicle unit ...

not sure an ordinary tankbusta mob is going to kill more than one vehicle before being fried ...

but these boys just climb back in the BW and go again !

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »
A newish tacktik that I am running lately that seems to work well is the 'Ard truck. Warboss with kill choppa and 11 ard boys in a truck, one is a nob with PK.  Get in close to their super hero and jump in. The nob takes/issues the challenge so the boss can cream the enemy supporting unit. Sometimes some of the boys survive to cause some damage as well. Of course the nob usually dies unless my opponent rolls bad. The result is usually the orks winning combat by resolution points (sometimes a tie) and if the opponent fails his LD then get to sweep the super hero off the board. If he passes his LD now the boss takes the challenge and with his big choppa of instant death usually cuts up the opponent and walks away with a new trophy.

The unit is also pretty good at land raider killing and then taking out the termies that jump out after their ride is destroyed. Of course assault termies with twin claws are a bit of consternation, but the unit seems to wittle them down to size and the boss with one or two boys will walk away. I have done this three times now, and against regular termies almost the whole unit got back in the truck, but against a unit of assault termies it took two turns of combat and most of the unit was killed. Had my opponent had a unit of 8 termies instead of 5 the story would probably be different.

Looking forward to any more tips and tricks you all have.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »
I know that this topic is getting old, but it is still on the front page so I will add to it rather than start a duplicate thread.

A new trick that I tried that worked out well is the copta wall army build. Instead of buggies I used all death coptas. Three FoC's of cheap hq, two truck boy squads and three fast attack squadrons each. Since I had to take a dakka jet the other squadrons were death coptas(yes, five squads of five coptas).

They all outflanked and came in on time and even got lucky with the roll and came in on the side I wanted them too. With their new 4+ jink save they lasted all game, causing much consternation and destruction behind the lines. The fight was against necrons and at the end of the game all he had left were three of his flyers (from four) and I had almost all the death coptas and a few really chewed up boy squads (you know the infamous squads of one) with a wounded but still alive war boss.

I know that one game doesn't make for great statistical evidence, but I thought I would share with you all a newish list build that seemed to work extremely well.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
Bikes, Jet Bikes, and their equivalents seem to be the peak of the current meta. Fast, Tough, Shooty / Choppy. They're just generally able to get to objectives and deliver damage consistently. Jink really offsets their moderate weaknesses, and if you're assault focused you lose practically nothing. Orks all the more so!

My advice to anyone having trouble with 40k right now, is to try their faction's bike-like models. If only Rough Riders didn't compete with so many better things. :(

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
Still on the front page so I will add to it again.

In a recent game where my opponent had space wolves, when declaring a charge. I declared first with a unit of grots who had to take the overwatch and lost a few, then my two squads of boys declared and got to charge with no casualties. (the grots failed their charge but the boys didn't) The SW player had flamers in his squad and since I wanted to avoid the auto D3 hits I sent the grots first. Worked out well.

BTW, if you take a fourth FoC with three squads of ten grots, you can buy them trucks as their fast attack. Of course you speed over to an objective and drop them off then use the trucks to tank shock just about everything in LoS, as well as attack dreads with their wrecking balls, makes for a funny game where the trucks do all the fighting.  A real hoot, and the orks actually pulled off a victory.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
This is actually not a dirty trick for orks, but one played on my by an Eldar player. One we orks need to watch out for.

As you all know, I have a large burna boy squad and like to do drive by flamings, and overwatch roast anything that tries to charge them (works really good on charging gaunts and beast squads).

Well, my burna boys got owned by banshees. Let me tell you the story.

The BW the burna boys were in got immobilized on turn three, and the mek rolls failed to fix it. So the big mek stayed in the BW and the burna boys got out to move eight inches to claim an objective that was placed inside a ruins. (yes I rolled a 2 for the run, but it got me within two inches to "claim" the objective)

A squad of seven howling banshees moved and ran and shot at me on the bottom of turn four. Rather than leave the objective to go after the pesky aspect warriors, I moved further into the ruins and more effectively covered the objective with burna boys. The banshees moved and shot at the burna boys again killing one, and then charged.

I thought "he he, silly eldar charging burna boys" and picked up a lot of dice for the overwatch frying of the attackers. That is when I found out the hard way that you can't shoot overwatch at banshees because of their mask  :o, a new rule that is disconcerting to say the least. Then because they have acrobat they don't suffer the "I" penalty, and they move extra when charging. Then to top it all off the mask causes fear. And of course I promptly rolled a 12 for the LD check.

The banshees then proceeded with a flurry of bad rolling (for me) and killed ELEVEN burna boys.  :'(
My three survivors at WS 1 failed to cause any wounds and then failed to roll snake eyes to stay in the fight and were wiped out.

So, this post is to warn all your burna boys playing orks out there; don't let the banshees charge you, go after them instead as your burna boys will just die off if you don't.

BTW; the game was a draw, 4 to 4, but he had decimated my army to maybe 250 points left on the board including the big mek who went to ground in the wreckage of his BW.