News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Monolith & Warriors, & Tactics  (Read 660 times)

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
Monolith & Warriors, & Tactics
« on: June 21, 2005, 05:22:10 PM »
When a Monolith fire is Arc flux it indicates 1d6 per unit, I assume this means a squad or vehicle as opposed to each enemy model correct? 2nd after you roll the reserve to deep strike a monolith that same round you may either enter reserves troops (assuming you make the reserve roll as well) or teleport a squad of "necron" within 18" of the monolith and then they also may fire upon teleporting in combat correct?

Also for tactics, the Eldar are the space marine/necron killers with their starcannon and reaper launchers.  The wraithlord is very hard to kill as Eldar have more range than the Necrons do.  The only options I see is to deep strike a monolith with a 20 troop to shoot any wraithlords.  Only firing many gauss weapons seems to be the only sure fire way to killer a wraithlord.  The Monolith should be able to obliterate any dark reapers as longs as they are in the "kill zone" of the arc (assuming you deep strike behind the cover their sure to be in).  Has anybody had any luck with this tactic before or has it ended in disaster?
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline Aliasara

• O NOES! It's the SMurfs AGAIN! *Yawns*
Re: Monolith & Warriors, & Tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:11:35 AM »
It is 1d6 shots per UNIT. Means per UNIT not per MODEL. The suggested strat blows my man. 20s squads of Necrons are generally ineffective. It is much easier to assign a squad of heavy destroyers as hunter - killers for the big guys. No he cant run since they are quite fast. Another way is to tie him up in meelee with a bunch of scarabs. Sure, they are not going to do much damage, but they tie him up till your army is in range to blast the living hell out of him. A better way strat that includes teleporting would be a Lord with an orb of regen and a squad of immortals if the wraithlord is on the flank. TP in, BLAST Wraithlord dead (A lot of times). If not he will be dead in the second round.
A general suggestion: Do not worry too much about your enemies one big Killer Robot. You should rather go for the squads and tear the core of his army apart, like the guardians and such. A well positioned Lord with an orb of regen helps to take the worst sting off the starcannons. Always remember : We will be back...
Say this with an austrian accent and you will irritate your opponent no end :D
Dumm ist nur wer Dummes tut!!

All spelling mistakes are intentional. Finders-Keepers!

Offline BFTrick

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:06:39 AM »
dont use your big guns on the wraithlord.  a gauss cannon will have the same chance taking off a wound as a gausss flayer.  when you think it is in range just dont move and shoot all your warriors at it.

or you could choose just not to kill it.  and kill the rest of his army, wraithlords are usually distractions.

Offline TheGreatAvatar

• H. A. A. W. G. S.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 09:42:02 AM »
dont use your big guns on the wraithlord.  a gauss cannon will have the same chance taking off a wound as a gausss flayer.  when you think it is in range just dont move and shoot all your warriors at it.

or you could choose just not to kill it.  and kill the rest of his army, wraithlords are usually distractions.

Actually, Heavy Destroyers are brilliant at taking down a Wraithlord.  The problem is you need to bring at least three and you still are not guaranteed to take it down on the first OR second turn.  However, bringing a unit of anything to fight a particular unit of anything is generally not sound tactics.  If you lose those three Heavy Destroyers than what?  And against Eldar, what do you think will be targeted first?  Yep, Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers.

I should know, my typical opponent is Eldar.

Offline Trevelyan

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:47:49 PM »
BFTrick hit the nail on the head, in almost all eldar armies, the wraithlord is used as a distraction, and is often used to lead the faster, deadlier units the opponet has, away from the more vurnerable eldar units.  The trick to winning against eldar is to know what to kill, and it isn't the cheap wraithlord, really you should just ingore it and kill the guardians, farseers, vehicles, if you can, and the aspect warriors, especially the aspect warriors, unless the wraithlord starts getting to close to your warriors, but by then you should be able to get enough shots off to send it back to the infinity circuit.  I know since I play eldar as my main army, and use my wraithlord as a distration every time I use it, although it does make it's points back in most games, there are better things to keep alive in eldar armies than it, so why not try to get it killed, saving other units from the shots instead.