News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: War Zone Damocles Cadians  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
War Zone Damocles Cadians
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
The book is out now, and I've read most of the rules.  And I like what I see!  Let me share a little bit of them within the confines of the rules of 40k online.

The Astra Militarum (specifically, Cadains) now have their own Decurion style detachment, the Battle Group.  It has a command element (either a company command squad or a tank commander) with core elements and auxiliary elements too.  The core elements are companies, either Infantry and/or Armoured ones.  The auxiliary elements are things like Valkyrie squadrons, scion platoons, ogyrn and veteran platoons and sentinel and artillery companies.  The detachment special rules assist with orders mostly.

The formations that make up the detachment have some pretty cool rules.  For example, the emperors shield infantry platoon (a sort of beefed up infantry platoon) has a unique order for the commander, and can include sentinel squadrons as forward recon vehicles (forward recon being an actual rule).  Then the emperors shield company (made up of a number of shield platoons) allows the company commander to issue a single order (of a specific type) to all units within it at once!  Then there's the Emperors Wraith artillery company.  Manticores and Basilisks with orders anyone?  8)

I'm also interested in the Emperors Talon Recon Company.  In addition to orders for sentinels (sweet!) they have another special rule which will make armoured sentinels with plasma cannons very attractive.

Then there's a unique warlord trait list and heirlooms of Cadians (some of which are actually pretty decent) and some Cadian special rules.  For those of you who can remember the 3rd edition codex, Sharpshooters is back!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:48:07 AM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: War Zone Damocles Cadians
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
As I tell my children - you should be grateful for what you've got. I'm getting it next week, but from the leaks it looks pretty good. It's not worse than what we had (aka the BA codex!) - it's just not quite as good as I had hoped for, especially given the Tau release.

It's a shame it seems we haven't got anything with interceptor (other than ADL + QG), correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a big fan of Ogryns, but haven't got any models as I just don't see them being anywhere near "good" when you see what else you can get for those points. I don't think the Ogryn/Bullgryn formation makes them viable, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Glad to see the psyker formation. Think that makes them playable now.

Only other complaint is I really thought Baneblades and their variants would be dropped by about 100 points. I haven't got any, but was looking forward to getting a couple. Just won't bother now.

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »
Whoops, I forgot the pysker formation!  Yes, for everyone concerned, the pysker formation is actually really good, and makes them very worthwhile.  And whilst the Ogyrn formation is pretty good, until they do something about their cost it still won't work. 

As for interceptor, I hope hydras receive it one day.  I'm confident about the future of the IG though.  This supplement gives us some clues as to what the future codex might look like and it all looks good!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:48:51 PM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »
I have a feeling the new IG codex will be similar to the Tau in that if you have this expansion then you don't need the new codex.

To be honest I was a bit surprised that IG got anything yet as to be honest the existing codex is not bad. It's got units that don't work (but lets be honest each codex has), but a competitive or fluffy list is possible and playable.

Same goes for Nids - it's got a few problems, but is not bad and that is rumoured to be in January as well.

I suppose GW are updating for the factions that sell more models first, otherwise Orks, DE, BA would be next as they are definitely the bottom three codexes I think. Yes - I know CSM is long overdue, but I think it is a better codex than those three.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:49:18 PM »
Take comfort in Pask, the man who's never driven the *same* tank back to and from a battle.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
What about the new relics?

Celeritas seems pretty good.  You actually stand a decent chance of making an enemy hero kill themselves trying to kill you.  I think the invulnerable save is the more important bit though.  Call the rebound move a bonus.

Kabe's Herald would have been a real must have for a Tank Company Commander if the current tank orders were actually any good.  Well I mean OK, they're good, but they're not great.  :P

The Iron Left would be pretty sweet against Orks, but against anything else a power fist is probably a more sensible option, seeing as though you'll be going last anyway.

Standard Of The Lost 113th.  Hmmm...it's a pretty awesome effect, but with a price.  Would be pretty sweet in an infantry heavy army such as this list encourages though.  Definitely needs a transport to get the flag to where it's needed.

Volkov's Cane is epic.  Honest to the emperor, this thing is a must have!  Probably even more so than Kurov's Aquila!  In the hands of an Artillery Commander it just becomes nasty.

Wraith Of Cadia is fun I suppose, but not a must have.  I would have it over a plasma pistol though.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
It is my opinion that a Commander is prolly gonna bite it if he gets into any kind of serious CC. I used to like a PF on my Commanders, just to fight off those 3 pesky Tactical Marines that always seemed to kill him, otherwise.

So I'm not a fan of Celeritas.

Big 10/4 on Kabe's Herald. The only real value is to allow a mass first-turn Fire and Smoke. I mean, if you were running squadrons of Russes in addition to the Commander's squad... and wanted to use mis-matched models... and uh... Well, the Fire and Smoke is handy if you go first.

Iron Left could be useful against Orks and Necrons. Except the best armour in both armies is a 2+, so meh. CC upgrades on Guardsmen don't work these days.

Standard is best for a sit'n'shoot group. Something protecting some artillery, for example. ;)

Volkov's cane is indeed, the best relic that the Guard have available. Mostly because it's so difficult to reliably issue orders to Basilisks. :D

Wraith of Cadia is the best-value gun upgrade in the game. Hands down. It makes me happy just thinking about it.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 05:30:54 AM »
If my maths is right, Wrath has around 17% of straight up wounding anything non vehicle in the game.  I like those odds!

As for Volkov's Cane; it's a shame that it only exists here.  Such a shame.

The basilisk orders thing could be easily solved if they said that giving the CCS a vox allows rerolls.  But, they didn't so...

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 05:42:58 AM »
I'm loving the new Formations.
Currently building an Assault Company and an Artillery Company for my 1500 point army. :D

I hadn't touched my AM since the latest Codex- nothing was really getting me in the mood for updating them. But Mont'ka has really inspired me to increase my collection and start a whole new army.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
I'm loving the new Formations.
Currently building an Assault Company and an Artillery Company for my 1500 point army. :D

I hadn't touched my AM since the latest Codex- nothing was really getting me in the mood for updating them. But Mont'ka has really inspired me to increase my collection and start a whole new army.

That is great to hear!  I hope you post any developments you make on that up here on the site.  :)

I'm pretty buzzed about them too.  Except for the Infantry Company, but only because it's far far far too big to be taken like, ever.  Which is a shame really because I like the idea in spirit. 

The three I'm most pleased about are the Recon Company (because I love Sentinels and I want to field as many as possible), the Spear Company (because it'll reward me for taking 3 of my 4 fliers in one squadron) and the Artillery Company (because it's going to end anything it looks at  8)).  I better get some Artillery soon!

By the way, you can field these formations in a 'normal' IG army right?

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »

By the way, you can field these formations in a 'normal' IG army right?

Yup, you can field these formations in any army you like. The formations are a 'normal' AM army! :D

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
The Mont'ka book was a good stepping stone for both Guard and the Tau. Sure, the story narrative was still the Guard can't get any respect but the formations are certainly a lot of fun.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
The Mont'ka book was a good stepping stone for both Guard and the Tau. Sure, the story narrative was still the Guard can't get any respect but the formations are certainly a lot of fun.

Let me guess, we lost?  :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
Not really, considering the Space Pope was killed (which the Tau are concealing for domestic political reasons), the planet was mostly torched, and the Gulf was made hostile to Tau shipping once again. So, lost the battle but scored significant victories in the war.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
Not really, considering the Space Pope was killed (which the Tau are concealing for domestic political reasons), the planet was mostly torched, and the Gulf was made hostile to Tau shipping once again. So, lost the battle but scored significant victories in the war.

Ahhh, spoilers! :o

Just kidding, that makes me very happy!  ;D

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Also not forgetting that Pask got to treat his tank as an expendable munition once again.  ;)
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
Cool.  8)

I think I might actually go buy this book for the fluff.  I know that it might be rendered obsolete by a future codex but so far the story is good.

Say, I know that the Shield Company is silly, but how about the platoon?  How do you guys feel about it?