News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Custom IG - Warlord Titan (6-23)  (Read 54348 times)

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
Custom IG - Warlord Titan (6-23)
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »
So I have seen Bro. Argos make his steel legions and how utterly awesome it is to have a completely custom army. I have dabbled with making custom troops but I have always been torn between making a good model and making it reproducible.

I am about to make the plunge into resin casting. I started making this full helmet and just started on the torso.

Helmet

The made the helmet around a BB glued to a pin for a frame to work on.

Torso

I just started on the torso I have a sketch of what I want and the frame for glued.

My goal is to have no GW parts casted/involved in my model.

This is the casting kit I was planning on starting with. Has anyone used this or have any comment on if it is a good product, from what I have found I think this kit will do what I want but not 100% on it.
Super Casting Kit

**Edit** Corrected the link
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:29:24 AM by Lt_PliskinAJ »

Offline Col. Dash

• We're the Imperium, we're here to help
Re: Completly custom IG infantry.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »
While I think its a cool idea and say go for it, also remember that a model must be 75% GW(or is it 50%) to be tourney legal.

Offline Tibel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
model must be 75% GW(or is it 50%) to be tourney legal.
Here are the rules for tournament play...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=300005&section=&pIndex=2&aId=3400027&start=3

Must be 50% GW product.  Unless it is scratch build...  which is only viable if no model is available for the codex entry.

Other than that, it looks cool! :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:50:06 PM by Tibel »
I didn't get where I am today by worrying about how I was going to feel tomorrow.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:51:16 PM »
Nice sculpt can't wait to see the outcome of all of this, best of luck

-Cakes
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
I understand GW wanting at least 50% GW so people will at least buy the product. At this rate I am prob going to use the IG arms and legs so I will be keeping close to the 50% mark. At least most of the places I go don't care about the percentage because they are independent retailers and carry more then just GW. On a plus side if I do go to one of those tournaments I would get bonus points for having a heavily converted army.

I did start on the body with the greenstuff but its just a blob of the basic body.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:12:07 AM by Lt_PliskinAJ »

Offline SkullyChaos

• Hook Em' Horns!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:15 PM »
I am excited to see what you work up after seeing what you did for the conversion competition.

So far seems a very sensible start to a very ambitious project. Will you be sculpting weapons as well? How many different heads/arms/legs/torsos/combonations do you plan to work up?

FYI: The link to the casting kit seems to be broken.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »
Well... I plan on starting off small. One head and one torso. I will see how that works out and then I will add a few other heads. Mainly a separate mask and helmet so I can use the GW Sgt/officer heads and add the details to make them still match.  I can also then use the stock IG heads and make them fit into the helmet. It wouldn't make sense to have a uniform with many different heads with full enclosed helmets.
For the torso I hope to make it 'open' as in a medium detailed out torso but mounting spots to put custom gear on them.

Also after I make the first run of Helmet/torso I can then Modify the copy of the helmet so the separate parts will be exact. For example I can could cast the whole helmet/mask then hollow it out to just be a helmet and then repeat the process to have a separate mask with out all the time to rebuild trying to make it exact.

I will later add arms/legs. There will be a lasgun in the plans also.

As for gaming with these I will start them off as grenadier vets and slowly have the army taken over by them.

Thanks for the complement and I hope it turns out well.

Offline Sgt. Ranger - (formerly SilverRanger)

• *insert threatning quote*
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
looks promising keep it up
By order of the Inquisition: There is no such thing as the Inquisition, questioning this will have thou deemed heretic by the Inquisition.

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:02:03 AM »
Seriously, buy a bulk package of GS for the discount. Bro. Argos hasn't finsihed a squad for reproduction and he has gone through loads!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
I know what you mean by bulk greenstuff. I have two tubes of bulk kneedite ready to use.

Progress, progress, progress.

I some details in to the blob I had for a torso.

As you can see I started on the ammo pack belt front of the armor and the neck guard. The next thing to do is start to square up the shoulders and make the waist so it will mount to the sock arms and legs. I will prob finish off the ammo packs with some very thin pastic card

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
Another day of progress.

I managed to square off the bottom of the torso and do a mock up.

So there it is.

Offline McNulty

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
Wow that's amazing how you are going to have a completely custom army. That should keep you preoccupied. Good luck!

BTW i see a sentinel in the background are you plannning to do anything special with it?
"'Mr. Bond, they have a saying in Chicago:
     "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Third time it's enemy action.
  Miami, Sandwich, and now Geneva. I propose to wring the truth out of you. Oddjob, The Pressure Room.'" -Goldfinger
Why are you using the 'enter' key instead of punctuation? It's a little hard to follow your post.

Offline Reikai

• What 'bout my star?~*
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »
those rectangle things on his body kind of look like bombs.... that suicide bombers use <____<.

Didn't really intend to go on a touchy subject, but I just thought it was hilarious.  The whole mask thing goes well with it too!

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Lol suicide bomber... no. Its meant to be like this.

I will add some more details to it once I finish the shoulders right now they aren't square. I will prob make them too large then cut them square.

I hope to eventually make something the lines of a sprue but I am not sure if i can do that without pressure casting. I might be able to something similar by using a syringe to cause either positive/negative pressure.

As for the sentinel... nothing special. I have had it sitting around in two pieces for a long time. I finally decided to put in my magnets in the model. I have a decent collection of sentinels, its one of my favorite models. I have 7 completed and this one was just sitting around.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 05:27:44 AM »
I assume your making your own legs and arms etc?

IMHO those pouches are too big and make the waist too big for the relatie size of the legs, it's still amazing though
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
CASTING!

I will make arms later and maybe some legs. I personally like the legs that GW sells. I have alot of old catachan models that i do not use anymore and have been trying to re-purpose them. The legs will be great to use for this new project.

---- Progress ----
I got the casting kit for my B-day and made and cast my first part. My two part mold took longer to make and I will cast the head tomorrow. Anyway I will let the pictures tell the tale.

I was very happy about how few bubbles formed I can greenstuff them in for making the squad sprue but right now they are so small I am just going to leave them for the test model.

The two part mold for the helmet.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Sculpting question)
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
Time for a question: Does anyone know a good way to make a hand? I was thinking of one of two methods. (1) The first is to make a ball and carve out the fingers. (2) The other is to take some greenstuff and roll them into fingers once its dry it will be pliable enough to bend then glue into place. Or is there another really cool method to make a hand.

I am in a catch 22. The first one seems like it will be easier but the second one seems like it will be more exact. Then I have to thing to myself if the hands really have to be well done because on a table no one will look at one of 80+ guardsmen's hands. Once I figure out a way to make the hands I plan on making some arms. I was thinking about making the arms so that each has to parts so there is a moveable elbow I can change position with and glue in place so I do not have a bunch of guardsmen in all the same pose.

I have made some progress and I have made a few infantry models but I left my camera at work. I will post them later.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:19:40 AM by Lt_PliskinAJ »

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Sculpting question) - 8/28
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:28 AM »
Looking very impressive, I look forward to seeing this as it develops further!

With regards to hands, my personal preference is too very roughly make the palm first of all, effectively an armature for it, then to sculpt the hand proper in one go from a single piece of putty mounted on the armature, pressing out the fingers and defining them. I'd only add extra bits (i.e. seperate fingers) if they were sticking out so to speak and so could'nt easily be done in a single stage.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »
wow, nice work so far. I'm liking your torso design very much and you've done a great job sculpting and casting it. Its a very ambitious project and it looks to me like its paying off bigtime.

Looking forward to more. :)

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
@ Col.Gravis Thanks for the tip on how to make the hands. I will do it that way it seems like it will be the best of both worlds. Detail and simple, just have to do it two stages.

Thanks for the complements and I do have some progres.

A head fresh from the mold.

The first of many.

The first three.

In the next few days I will start to work on an arm for mounting my free standing lasguns as I have enough of them to outfit a whole new army and only 15-20 more lasguns with arms attached.