News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Experimental 1500 Points, Normal SM  (Read 533 times)

Offline Venator101

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Post modifier extraordinaire!
Experimental 1500 Points, Normal SM
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:23:40 AM »
Right so I was thinking up this list last night to try at my local GW vets nights. Let me know what you think.

HQ
Librarian  – 10X pts                     [100]
w/ Might of the Ancients, The Avenger

Troops
Tactical Squad – 210 pts                           [310]
Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Combi-melta
Marine w/ Meltagun
Marine w/ Multi-Melta
Marine w/ Boltgun x7
      Rhino w/ Extra Armour – 50 pts                  [360]

Tactical Squad – 205 pts                           [565]
   Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Combi-flamer
   Marine w/ Flamer
   Marine w/ Missile Launcher
   Marine w/ Boltgun x7
      Drop Pod – 3X pts                     [600]

Tactical Squad – 210 pts                  [810]
   Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Combi-flamer
   Marine w/ Meltagun
   Marine w/ Missile Launcher
   Marine w/ Boltgun x7

Elites
Ironclad Dreadnought – 185 pts                        [995]
w/ Seismic Hammer (Meltagun), DCCW (Heavy Flamer), Hunter Killer Missiles x 2
   Drop Pod – 3X pts                     [1030]

Ironclad Dreadnought – 185 pts                        [1215]
w/ Seismic Hammer (Meltagun), DCCW (Heavy Flamer), Hunter Killer Missiles x 2
      Drop Pod – 3X pts                     [1250]

Heavy Support
Land Raider – 25X pts                           [1500]

Right so tactics for this list. The two Ironclads come down on turn one to deal with any heavy armour and be a threat my opponent has to deal with. Popping smoke if I think I'm out of range of the Meltaguns on them. The tactical squad in the drop pod comes down with a reserve roll to seize an objective and are equipped to take one if they have to. The last Tactical Squad goes in the LR, which can either stay back with the squad inside or move to get them into assault range. Finally the Librarian goes with the Drop Pod Squad as they will probably be in the thickest of the action and his powers can help them take an objective should they need to.

So what do you think? Criticisms? I think the main problem with this list in my mind is that it's not very 'killy'. Tactical Squads are one of the best Troop choices in the game IMO. But they aren't very good at killing other things. Although in my advantage, I do think this list is fairly resilient for a 1500 point force.

Also I apologise for the spazzy bracketed numbers. I just copied this from the word document I used to type it up. And I'm lazy so I can't be bothered fixing it  :P.

Thanks

Edit: Spelling and abbreviations
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:32:27 AM by Venator101 »
Honest Win/Draw/Loss Record since 9th August 2010:
Space Marines: 49/18/22
Black Templars: 8/3/3
Grey Knights: 21/6/7
1500 Pts Black Templars vs Necrons. Capture and Control. Draw. 1-1 Objectives.

I don't get much time to play Warhammer recently unfortunately.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Re: Experimental 1500 Points, Normal SM
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:39:11 AM »
For 1500 points, I think it's a fair list and might surprise you as to its killiness.  What it seems to have going for it is the very ranged and flexible weapons load-outs, along with the threat of the 'Raider and Ironclads.  I really like the sarge load-outs too, taking advantage of the combi weapons and fists necessary to allow the tac squads to meet all threats.  I wouldn't like to attempt any "fix" here, as I reckon the list will stand well enough by itself, and I'm more than a little interested to hear how it fares?
Let us know, eh? :)

VH

Offline Venator101

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:28:32 AM »
Well to be brutally honest, it will be a long time before I'll be able to try this list out unfortunatly. Don't have the second Ironclad and the Land Raider. Lack of funds prevents me from buying more  :(.

Originally I had a DH Inquisitor with an Emperors Tarot to help me go first. I thought it was pretty important that I did. Because then my opponent has difficult decisions to make. Go for the Ironclads (most probable) or go after the Raider and Rhino steaming towards them. But alas, I couldn't find the points for him  :(.

As to the lack off killyness, you think so? A lot of the players in my area play marines (even more now that BA are so popular  ::)). So the standard Tactical Squad doesn't really cut it. Killing about 3-4 marines from a full on rapid fire. Yeah I agree with you on the Sergeant load outs though. A Power Fist is a necessary must. But seen as the Tactical Squads have to carry the weight of my army, they need to be able to deal with all sorts of different threats.

Do you think I should change the Raider round for a different version? I mean I have Frags on my marines, I don't need the Assault Launchers like Terminators do. And the Lascannons are my only form of long range anti-tank untill the Tacticals get settled in and set up their Missile Launchers.

Finally is a Librarian the best choice here? I couldn't find the points for a decent Captain and I prefer Libbys over Chaplains (although they do have their uses). But what about powers?

Thanks

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:09:51 AM »
Well to be brutally honest, it will be a long time before I'll be able to try this list out unfortunatly. Don't have the second Ironclad and the Land Raider. Lack of funds prevents me from buying more  .

Yeah, I know how that feels buddy.  Do what I do....rob banks.

Originally I had a DH Inquisitor with an Emperors Tarot to help me go first. I thought it was pretty important that I did. Because then my opponent has difficult decisions to make. Go for the Ironclads (most probable) or go after the Raider and Rhino steaming towards them. But alas, I couldn't find the points for him  .

Build-up a repetoir of starts and deployment possibilities that cover both eventualities.  I'm always surprised by the number of opponents that seemingly "go to pieces" when they don't get what they wanted from the turn dice.  This goes double for reserves......you have to have a number of plan B's.

As to the lack off killyness, you think so? A lot of the players in my area play marines (even more now that BA are so popular  ). So the standard Tactical Squad doesn't really cut it. Killing about 3-4 marines from a full on rapid fire. Yeah I agree with you on the Sergeant load outs though. A Power Fist is a necessary must. But seen as the Tactical Squads have to carry the weight of my army, they need to be able to deal with all sorts of different threats.

Assault troops are great, and BA variants are wonderful and flavour of the month, no doubt.  Not so great when they are getting shot-up though.  If you are static, make use of cover and rapid fire when in range.

Do you think I should change the Raider round for a different version? I mean I have Frags on my marines, I don't need the Assault Launchers like Terminators do. And the Lascannons are my only form of long range anti-tank untill the Tacticals get settled in and set up their Missile Launchers.

No. Godhammer LR's are great.  With the world and his mate flying-in marines in BA armies, and taking nasty killy Furiosos, you will need him.

Finally is a Librarian the best choice here? I couldn't find the points for a decent Captain and I prefer Libbys over Chaplains (although they do have their uses). But what about powers?

Gate of Infinity is generally accepted as the most useful psychic power, as it allows rapid redeployment and keeps your opponent on his toes.  saying that, it works best with shooty units like Tac termies or Sternguard, which you may wish to consider.....

Thanks

You are most welcome brother.

VH

Offline Venator101

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »
Yeah, I know how that feels buddy.  Do what I do....rob banks.

Who's Rob Banks? Ha ha sorry I couldn't resist. It's like on actions films were they say "fire at will!", I'm always like "what's Will ever done?". :P
Yeah sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night...

Build-up a repetoir of starts and deployment possibilities that cover both eventualities.  I'm always surprised by the number of opponents that seemingly "go to pieces" when they don't get what they wanted from the turn dice.  This goes double for reserves......you have to have a number of plan B's.

I know, I'm not saying if I don't get the first turn then I'm going to loose. But one of my main opponents and friend is a long time Tau player who likes to spam Rail Guns and Marker Lights. With that many S10 AP1 accurate shots coming in on my Raider, I can't see it lasting long. Then he can take apart my army slowly one unit at a time. But if I get the first turn, then I can more units in his lines sooner and be a much more aggressive army.

No. Godhammer LR's are great.  With the world and his mate flying-in marines in BA armies, and taking nasty killy Furiosos, you will need him.

Yeah that's what I thought. I already have enough anti-infantry with the Tacticals and I don't need to deliver Terminators. I'll stick with the Standard LR.

Gate of Infinity is generally accepted as the most useful psychic power, as it allows rapid redeployment and keeps your opponent on his toes.  saying that, it works best with shooty units like Tac termies or Sternguard, which you may wish to consider.....

Yeah I do like Gate. But my Libby and the squad he is with are designed to bunker down on a piece of terrain once they've captured it. Gating around then trying to rapid fire stuff to death is asking to mishap or get charged by something I don't want.

Thanks

You are most welcome brother.

Ha sorry that's just my standard finish to all my posts. I'm thanking you for taking the time to read it  :).

Thanks

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
It is a powerful list, but there are two issues I'll suggest improvements for.

1st - Yes, keep the Librarian, but give him Null Zone and whatever other psychic power you choose.  The Psychic Hood is worth the points of the Librarian by itself. :o

2nd - Exchange the third Tactical Squad for a Vanguard Veteran Squad sans Jump Packs.  They will be much more killy charging out of the Land Raider, especially when the Librarian has used Null Zone to improve the chances of the Vanguards' Power Weapons, etc. causing Wounds to their victim. ;)

I don't believe that more than two Tactical Squads is necessary at 1500 points and this change will add the killiness to this list that it currently lacks.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.