News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is this Warhammer fantasy timeline correct/canon?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Is this Warhammer fantasy timeline correct/canon?
« on: May 26, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
So, long story short, the newly released Total War: Warhammer has reawakened a bit of my interest in Fantasy lore, and I've been googling more obscure stuff, like the Wood Elves in Laurelorn in Nordland and whatnot.

Anyway, I came across this timeline on a site, and read through much of it, and there's a lot there I've never heard of before, like ancient human empires in the badlands (aside from Khemri, I mean), human civilization in Lustria (aside from the Amazons) and so on.
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/tutorials/article/30-the-warhammer-world-history/

So, does anyone know of this is partly fanmade, or if it is all taken from canon sources? And if they are, are they taken from radically different editions (where the tone might vary) or are they fairly up-to-date?

Part of why I'm asking is because there's some stuff there's that's really quite interesting (pre-Druchii humans in Naggaroth for example) and on the other hand there are some really cringeworthy things, like Aleksandr the Conqueror of the Hellene City-states, or Prophet Mulhaed al-Quayt launching a jihad against the empire of Constantin which would eventually be renamed to Istrabul.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:38:57 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Is this Warhammer fantasy timeline correct/canon?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
I've had a quick look through the timelines in one of my old Warhammer rulebooks, and most of the information there comes from them.  The more eccentric points you've highlighted are, unsurprisingly, not present though, which confirms my belief and yours that they are fabricated.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Is this Warhammer fantasy timeline correct/canon?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
Yeah, most of the Dwarf and High Elf stuff seemed pretty familiar, but there were some eccentricities as you said. I was half-prepared to deal with them because GW has had a tendency for some pretty on-the-nose erschatz stuff in their lore.

Still, it would've been cool to see a more fleshed-out history that wasn't as conflict-centric. I mean, I know it's warhammer and not "economy&infrstructure"-hammer, but 40konline manages to build up some pretty interesting RPG supplements, so it shouldn't be too impossible. It would be particularly interesting to have a bit more stuff going on in the New World that isn't explicitly tied to the Old World (ie. Dark-High elf conflict, Lizardmen-Skaven conflict, etc.)