News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: makin an army  (Read 627 times)

Offline orks kick ass

makin an army
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
hi i am thinking of collecing tau as my army after blood angels and i was wonderin wat are the good points of tau and if they would be good for takin out army's like chaos khorne and nurgle. if so can anyone sujjest an armylist for my tau. (1000pts) if it would be possible. thnx also i was thinking of have a line of kroot so if they want to assault my fire warriors they will have to go thruogh my kroot  is this a good idea?
"The Inquisitation and the Administrstum say we are weak because some of us have given into the black rage - they are wrong! The Black rage makes us strong, because we must sesist its temptations every day of our lives or be forever damned"

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
Re: makin an army
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »
Good
S of basic weapon
range or basic weapon.
decent armour

Bad
Can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag
avergae leadership

With pulse rifles they have a pretty good chance of killing plague marines.

Heres something you might like

HQ

Shas'o with plasma rifle, missile pod, shield generator, HW mutlitracker

Elites

6 Stealth Team bonded

Troops

12 Fire Warriors with pulse rifles and photon grenades
shas'ui

12 Fire Warriors with pulse rifles and photon grenades

15 Kroot with Kroot rifles

Fast attack

8 Gun drones

Heavy Support

Hammerhead with rail gun, burst cannons, target lock, multitracker, decoy launchers

Comes to exactly 1000. A balanced list. Basically a sit a shoot army. With photon grenades you will be less vurnable to chagres.

The_Outcast

Offline ColonelLindsay

• Praise be to the God-Emperor
    • The Battle for Thralanx
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:49:01 AM »
Ironically enough I'm looking to do the same thing. My friend has a khorne/nurgle army my IG cant seem to beat. What I've found so far with the tau are it's guns. By utilising the markerlights it makes short work of almost anything out there. Definitely use pathfinders and light up differant targets for your broadside's or hammerhead to take out as it will do it just about everytime. As for the Kroot, they will be a must when it comes to khorne as it's all CC with them. the kroot will make a good line of attackers either defending or attacking.
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/thralanx
"GW store managers aren't known to be reliable sources..." - Irandura
Hey, I'm finally a Full Member again!!!
"The only good use of pride is swallowing it." - mrspungebob
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline Rotalumis

• Got fava beans?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:00:29 PM »
Well, the tau (for me) are capable of taking down anything that gets in their way. The only problem I have is when those pesky hormogaunts manage to get into my fire warriors and those wretched ork slugga boyz start running amok in my flank. And that was only because my hammer head was stunned for 2 turns in a row, which officially was not good.

As to your question about the khorne/nurgle thing, I've never fought nurgle armies, but have fought thousand sons and twice agianst khorne. Against the thousand sons, by turn 5 there was nothing left of his on the board. Tau are good against chaos, at least those I've fought, as they are fairly slow, and the tau have the ability to wipe out any enemy artillery as of turn 1 (Those defilers only get 1 shot at the most 8) ).

I agree with The_Outcast about the strengths/weaknesses of the tau, and like the army list as well. I would also add in some crisis suits for anti-marine or more anti-tank fire power (plasma/fusion and missile pods respectively), thought that is just me. The tau could not hold their own in melee if the fate of the universe depended on it and they were given the force and wielding dual lightsabers while fighting against a lone stormtrooper (well, mabey exaggerated, but you get the idea).

The idea for kroot is a good one. If it is possible when you use them, get them into the cover of trees/bushes/some plant, as they get a bonus cover save for that (fieldcraft is wonderful). Also, if you're going to use them to block assaults, you may want to use some kroot hounds. I've never used any, but they are cheap and strike at the same time as marines and are pretty nice on the charge. If the enemy breaks, all the better, as the "release the hounds" rule is rather nice. Don't get krootox though, as they won't let the carnivore squad infiltrate, and take up a heavy weapons slot that could be better spent on hammerheads or broadsides.

Hope this has been of some help!
     Rotalumis
"A censous taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice kiantie." - The Good Doctor.

"Don't give in to hate! That leads to the dark side!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Good. You have control of your fear. Now! Release your anger! Only your hatred can destroy me!" - Darth Vader

"Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 09:45:43 PM »
I oh yeah I forgot mention NEVER EVER NEVER buy a krootox.

I don't generally use crisis suits funny huh. I only will use sucidal deep striker with TL fusion or bodyguard for one of my commanders. They are pretty hard to hide for infiltrating scout squads with missile launchers. One hit instakilled. I dislike this. So I buy shield generators which means no mutlitracker unless it is HW.

Who ever said marker lights are great I hope you remeber they can only be used form one model and for one weapon system so like for one plasma rifle on one crisis suit.

The_Outcast