News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ungluing models  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ungluing models
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »
I have a few models I want to re customize they are unpainted does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them apart

Edited title for clarity.  --- GML
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:22:50 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Up gluing models
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Metal, plastic, or resin? What glue did you use to secure them in the first place?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
It's the plastic wraithlord kit  and p3 glue from the privateer press model line it works for plastic and pewter
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:35:51 PM by Farseer Jair »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
Furthering the above... did you use plastic glue, super glue, white glue, thoroughly hardened chewing gum? What flavour?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Ungluing models
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
Acetone commonly found in nail polish remover, it will disolve superglue, however I have only used it on metal mini's. Paint thinners generally have a higher concentration of Acetone, but is far more likely to damage the plastic.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:06 PM »
If the glue is for Plastic and Pewter, chances are good you've got super glue of some kind. [Cyanoacrylate] As mentioned above, nail polish remover contains acetone, that breaks down cyanoacrylate.

Unless the parts are very fragile, you could probably crack the pieces apart with a bit of pressure. Drop a model on a concrete floor, and you'll get two neatly separated pieces in the least convenient location. ;)

If there are ball joints, you might have a problem, but working a knife into the join to loosen things up would probably help. It would also help to let the acetone get deeper into the join.

Go easy, and keep the pointy sharp bits away from yourself. The hash marks of old scars still disfigure my finger prints, which makes it super easy to identify me at a crime scene. There's a reason I always wear neoprene gloves. Not just for fetishists, they're also useful for creating reasonable doubt!

Offline Geometer

• Armies: Eldar, White Scar Space Marines, Tyranids
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
Some superglues are quite easily to get off if you put the model in the freezer for some time. The cold makes the glue porous I guess, then it's easier to get it off if you apply preasure (good to get bigger parts off).

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:51:49 PM »
In case anyone is interested, Cyanoacrylate creates molecular Velcro. The strands are brittle, which is why they have little shear strength. When you get them cold, the brittleness is increased, which makes breaking the bonds that much easier.

Now you know. And knowing, is a horrible, maddening thing that eventually consumes you. You've been warned. GI JOE LIED!

But yeah, freezing the models and applying a bit of pressure is probably the least messy thing to try first.