News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: testing a new 1750 list ...  (Read 2063 times)

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
testing a new 1750 list ...
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »

HQ: Fireblade 60
Elite: 3x Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-SMS, Velocity Tracker, EWO 630
Troop: 2x 10 Firewarriors 180
Troop: 12 Kroot, 2 Krootox, 1 Kroot Hound 127
Fast Attack: 2 Piranhas 2 Fusion Blasters 100
Fast Attack: 9 Pathfinders, 3 Rail Rifles, Pulse Accelerator Drone 149

HQ: Coteaz 100
Troop: 6 Henchmen w3 Heavy Bolter Servitors, 3 Laspistol Acolytes 42
Heavy Support: Dreadknight w/Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword, Personal Teleporter 260

Fortification: AGL, Quad Autocannons 100

==1750==

So i plan on testing this next wek against a Dark Eldar list with the usual venom, raider, rav, voidraven config. I really want to see if the lsit can simpoly overpower an opponent early. This is not a static gunline list. But it has static elements. I plan n being fairly aggressive with my Riptides and DK. I also will infiltrate up my pathfinders and kroot. I see the biggest problem being the lack of mobile troops ... of course this is typical Tau ... I'm hoping at the end it will nopt matter much if my opponent has very little left on the table to score with either. The one constant I want is the four MCs. I know it is a bit noob smash hammer but I feel this list will support them well. It has a lot of 'must deal with' targets. Thoughts?
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: testing a new 1750 list ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »
That is an absolutely terrifying list.  Aaaaah....!

The only thing I might change are the Rail Rifles.  I would just drop those 3 model and get another 8 firewarriors to make 2 squads of 9 and one squad of 10.  What are they really going to be shooting at that firewarriors can't handle that would survive 3 riptides?

Still gives you marker lights and gives you another scoring unit.

Other then that I think its great.  I would love to hear a battle report!
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
The dreadknight is an interesting choice. I think there are better ways to fit grey knights into the list.  I'm not a grey knight player though so I will hold off on my comments for them.

You have no mobility in your troops.  How do you plan to grab objectives? Cheap kroot with a single hound are a great way to threaten objectives. If not, a devilfish with disruption pods is hard to hit as long as it's moving.  You'd have to drop the kroot to do that though.  More kroot and one firewarrior squad may be a better fit. 

Are your pirahnas a squadron or two choices? You may want to leave them seperate if you aren't already.

I agree with Halollet about the pathfinders. The rail rifle looks cool on paper but isn't that worthwhile in a game.  You want your pathfinders to markerlight things so you can use your riptides overcharged ion accelerators while ignoring cover.

You're going to have to play aggressive with your MC's, including assaulting vehicles that come to close. Keep them as the main focus of your opponents weapons and they should ignore your kroot moving to grab objectives or your pirahnas moving into sweet melta range.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline bebe

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
Assuming I tweak the list a bit ....

HQ: Fireblade 60
Elite: 3x Riptide w/Ion Accelertor, TL-SMS, Velocity Tracker, EWO 630
Troop: 12 Firewarriors 108
Troop: 2x 13 Kroot, Precision Ammo, 2 Kroot Hound 204
Fast Attack: 2x 1 Piranha, Fusion Blaster 100
Fast Attack: 7 Pathfinders 77

HQ: Coteaz 100
Troop: 5 GKSS, 1 Psycannon 110
Heavy Support: Dreadknight w/Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword, Personal Teleporter 260

Fortification: AGL, Quad Autocannons 100

@ Hallolet - well it would not be quite so many pathfinders but it is doable. See above.

@ Ludo - Well I lose supporting fire from one squad but having two squads of kroot could work. As for the GK - Coteaz is amazing. He has divination, overwatch, a 12" do not drop near me bubble, seize initiative and access to cheap troops. What is not to like?

How do I get to 1500? What do I drop?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:50:38 AM by bebe »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
To get to 1500 I would drop one pirahna, one riptide, and a mix of firewarriors and kroot until you were below 1500. It shouldn't be but one or so from each squad to get you there. 
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline bebe

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »
One piranha and one riptide would be enough to get to 1500 ... it might indeed be the best I can do at 1500 - three MCs are still decent. Coteaz is more important to this list than is immediately apparent. The ability to alpha strike ( seize initiative) is quite important. The fireblade on the AGL almost guarantees I can take out an important piece of my opponents force (unless he really castles up which is not that smart against Tau) and it allows my riptides to get off their shots early and jsj back into cover hopefully taking out another important piece. Meanwhile my pathfinders and kroot should do some damage as well.

Now the problem, of course are weapons that don ot care about my MCs toughness and saves - poison, force weapons, other DPs, etc. This could cripple the list early if I am not careful. I expect a few cat and mouse battles against smart opponents. We will each be patiently awaiting the opportunity to take out targets that are critical to advance our position. That said, I think overall the list has potential.

I do feel at 2000 points my best bet is adding another GK squad and two more piranhas for 2 x 2 piranhas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:26:40 PM by bebe »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
If you were going to bump this list up to 2k I woud add a squad of broadsides with skyfire to the list. Especially if you go for massive missile they can bring to the board. Play them forward a bit but behind your riptides and punish any fliers that come too near to your troop choices.

The other option would be a pair of hammerheads with submunnitions. It would help you with horde defense, the high S low AP will help with MCs and DP's, and can provide some synergy with your riptides.  The hammerhead pops the transport and the riptide blasts the troops that spill out.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire