News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59545 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
Lias is simply stunning and I agree with Cavalier that the black you have painted is brilliant. The best thing though is the highlight on the sword and hammer. It is that good that when I first saw it I couldn't decide if it was paint or the flash being reflected. Still not sure to be honest. Awesome stuff.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2017, 02:57:54 AM »
Thanks guys!
@Cav- The only model I had painted up before my Corsair's was the Shrike model which I had done years ago because I thought it looked cool. Everything else has been done recent, I can be quite a quick painter when I get into it! haha

@Alienscar- I'd love to say that is my painting skills but a lot of it will be flash reflecting off Gloss varnish! I will get a decent picture without flash at some point to show how it actually looks haha!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2017, 06:04:37 AM »
Yeah I'm loving these guys :) very stealthy, and the splashes of colour on the HQ units really help set them apart. Love the posing on Lias as well :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »
I'll say it again now that he's finished; that Lias model is sick and I love the paint job that you've done.

Your Raven Guard are looking uniformly brilliant. Pretty please can we get a group shot one day? Pleeeeeaaasssseeee!!!!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
Thanks again for the kind words guys!

@Ynnead- Cheers bud, I always find it a little tough to decide how to really bring out the Characters but with the Raven Guard forgeworld upgrade packs it makes it a lot easier!

@Looshkin- Thankyou bud, I am really happy with the Lias model, I think I might try and use him in a battle on Thursday, see how he does!
I've got a bit of a backlog to clear (Drop pods, Scouts, Storm Talon) but as soon as I catch up and find somewhere that I can properly lay out the army then definitely!  8)

___________________ ___________________ _________

So I do have a little update,
Work has started on the Forgeworld kit. Spent 2 hours yesterday tidying up the Resin for the Fireraptor kit but have noticed that some of the pieces are going to need some straightening so I am waiting until I have a bit more time to sit down and concentrate on it.
In the meantime.......
I did say that I was going to wait for this but since you guys like WIP posts here is the other item that I bought:

This is something that I've wanted for quite a while and to be honest with the Raven Guard army being almost all Drop Pod Mounted or with Jump Packs I wanted something a bit more static.
The model has been basecoated but in true resin fashion I'm not sure how well the primer has stuck as I've had to touch up a couple of bits already, going to leave it to dry overnight and then have another look at it in the morning.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
My guess is either a Fire Raptor or Storm Eagle on the left (I'd go with the Fire Raptor, guessing that it's more Air to Air than the other). Definitely an aircraft though.

The other is way more difficult. I think it may be a tank, judging by all the straight edges, but the only one that I think matches is the Scarab Battle Tank. But it looks a bit small for that.

Totally called it! Legion Sicaran Battle Tank. Of course, as you can see from my quote, my computer laughs at the concept of a 'Sicaran' Tank and totally auto corrects to Scarab.

Despite that, I totally think I deserve a prize.  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #206 on: February 26, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Sickening... wow I wish I had a Sicaran for my DA... very powerful upgrade to your collection Auric. I'm sure it'll do work for you... especially against pesky Jetbikes and the like.

Hmmm surprised you had issues with the resin... haven't had that occur to me ever... even working with a Revenant Titan... but I guess those bits are pretty slender and a standard soapy water scrubbing usually gets the mold release out... Good luck though I hope it was just a blip on the radar.

Anyway great addition to the force... with an incoming Skyhammer, Fire Raptor AND a Sicaran this Ravenguard army went from good to nasty. Can't wait for it to get in a game. Good luck and keep us posted on the paint job!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2017, 02:28:31 AM »
@Looshkin- Haha I did wonder what you meant by Scarab! You are indeed correct though!

@Cav- It's the usage against Jetbikes and Eldar tanks which I wanted it for!
To be honest I think I attribute it more to the primer I was using (An oldish can of GW Skull white) it was chipping off very easily, seems to be better now though!

___________________ ___________________ ____________

So yeah, I like painting......
I did rush this guy somewhat as I do want to get on and get the Fireraptor built, plus if I am honest I don't really like painting Imperial tanks as much as Eldar ones!
I changed my techniques slightly (Due to my hatred for edge highlighting) and actually used a similar technique to my infantry.
I airbrushed a grey highlight on to all the edges of the armour etc and then gave the entire vehicle a Nuln oil wash, this softens all the highlights and much like the infantry gives all the armour plates a Matte finish, I like to think much like a Stealth bomber! It also helps with giving this model an aged feel which is fairly fitting for a relic of the armoury!

And here it is joined by Lias and his Devastators:

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »
Nice and clean, has a prominent look for the battle field. Great work!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2017, 05:47:21 AM »
Very nice :) the blacked out stealth look is very fitting for Raven Guard.

Your Fire Raptor is going to look like an F-117 Nighthawk! Awesome :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Love it. The simple but super effective highlights totally work... I think the best 30k armies I've seen in black adopt your approach. I actually went back and did a lot of dry brushing then washed over the highlight with Nuln Oil on my Dark Angels after I found out how you did it. I love it man...

What a beast... I hope helps do you well against Eldar and I'm sure it will. Love where you chose to put white panelling/plates on the tank... just the right amount of ... and it helps to sort of reveal the shape of the black plates which is cool.

Anyway love it man. Can't wait to see that Fire Raptor take flight! Keep it up bud, you're rolling as usual

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »
That's a helluva cool tank AP. The addition of a few plates of white really helps to break up the shape of the tank and actually adds more depth to the black by way of contrast. The subtle edge highlights are working really well for you on this piece and it fits in with the rest of your army extremely well.

Great work AP, your Raven Guard force is shaping up incredibly well!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

@Dread- Cheers bud, Was only really wanting to get it to tabletop standard but I think it works well.

@Ynnead- Haha that's what I am going for! Really hoping the method works as well on the Raptor.

@Cav- How did you like the technique? Your normal style is much cleaner than what it produces, would be interested in hearing how you got on with it!

@Looshkin- Thanks bud, I wasn't too sure on the placement of the white but to be honest with that model there isn't really much choice! haha. Glad you like it though!

___________________ ___________________ _______

So an interesting update.........

If anyone reading this has ever looked through the Forgeworld site and thought "Oooooh That Fire Raptor looks like a great kit!"........... Don't, just don't.

After approx 6 Hours work, a trip to A&E and Actual Blood, Sweat and almost tears. The kit has been built.
I've got a lot of work to do in filling gaps and smoothing a couple of areas out but I am just really relieved to get it together.
I knew when I bought it that they had a reputation for being pretty tough but I thought that my experience in modelling was going to be enough, I seriously struggled though.
Quite of a few of the pieces came out of the packet significantly warped and were in need of straightening, the actual fuselage required dry-fitting probably about 6 times and was still a nightmare to put together (And I am pretty sure it's still not straight) and quite a few of the pieces needed some serious cutting and clipping...... Which is where the trip to A&E comes in. When trying to trim down part of the Wing support to get it to fit in where it is supposed to my craft knife hit a bubble in the resin and came out of where I was cutting, sadly it went from the resin to burying itself into my middle finger. Deep enough to see muscle in my finger and deep enough to need a trip to A&E to get repaired!
Saying that, it is a very pretty model, I am expecting it to be a beast for me now though!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
Quite of a few of the pieces came out of the packet significantly warped and were in need of straightening, the actual fuselage required dry-fitting probably about 6 times and was still a nightmare to put together (And I am pretty sure it's still not straight) and quite a few of the pieces needed some serious cutting and clipping

I have heard many a time that FW's customer service is as good as GW's. Could you not have phoned to complain or is this sort of trouble deemed acceptable for resin models?

I have got to say that your picture of the Sicaran isn't up to your normal standard any chance you could post a better picture?

From a WIP point of view I would have really liked to have seen a few pictures of the warped items just to see how bad they were.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »

When trying to trim down part of the Wing support to get it to fit in where it is supposed to my craft knife hit a bubble in the resin and came out of where I was cutting, sadly it went from the resin to burying itself into my middle finger. Deep enough to see muscle in my finger and deep enough to need a trip to A&E to get repaired

amphetamine parrot! Sounds painful! Then again, bleeding for the hobby really is something that everyone should do at some stage. To prove themselves. Like ritual tattoos or something.

My best moment came a few years ago. Similar type story, but I distinctly remember the craft knife spinning out of my hand, at which point time slowed down. It spun through a perfect 360 degrees, so it was 'blade down'. I then watched in mounting horror as it arced gracefully down, slicing open about 4 inches of my calf. Fortunately for me, it wasn't as deep as yours and the only thing I had to do was bandage it and get some carpet cleaner.

I hope your wound doesn't affect your hobbyimg in any way. And if it's any consolation, the Fire Raptor looks beslubbering cool.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Ouch! Finger wounds hurt! Provided you're relatively gentle with it after a couple of days you should be able to use it.

Something odd too, if it's a deep cut it'll get pretty cold while it's healing. A combination of you not moving it cos it hurts, and reduced circulation due to the healing process. Might get a little uncomfortable so worth keeping it warm :)

Oh, and if it's quite a long cut it's good to keep wiggling your finger around as soon as it's not too painful to do. Helps it to heal in a way that's still flexible and not tight :)

Veteran of quite a few moronic decisions, in case you hadn't noticed ;)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
I've been building models since I was 8 and wearing bandages just as long. Hahaha, it is a big part. The funniest part is when you're cutting or trimming a part and you know you're doing it wrong and do it anyway. My right thumb finally healed up after my Celestine build.

That FR looks great, after some putty and sanding will be smooth as a baby's bottom. Looking forward to the finished product.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #217 on: March 1, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Cheers guys!
I've got to be honest I've cut myself no end of times in the last god knows how many years but this is the first time that I've ever sent myself to hospital! It's all sealed up and hopefully healing now though.

@Alienscar- Some amount of warping etc is kinda expected with Resin models, resin bends way too easily but it is relatively easy to pull back into shape. Forgeworld's customer service is however absolutely superb!

@Everyone-
I've been pretty productive again over the last couple of days, the Fire Raptor is glued and basecoated (Although this was also a pain in the butt!) while basecoating the Fireraptor I decided that it would be best for my sanity to do a couple of other bits!
I finished off painting up my Storm Talons (Converted from Nephilim jet fighters)

I also went rooting through my old model boxes and found this old Techmarine I had when I was looking at doing a Relictors army a few years back! Some quick painting and now I can field both the Sicaran and Fireraptor in one game!

I've got a game tomorrow and at the moment my list is going to be:

Raptors CAD
Lias Issodon
Techmarine
5x Tactical Marines- Melta, Combi Melta
Drop pod
5x Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi Plasma
Drop Pod
5x Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi Plasma
Sicaran Battle Tank
Fireraptor

Skyhammer Annihilation Force
5x Devastators- 4x Grav Cannons, Armorium Cherub
Drop Pod
5x Devastators- 4x Multi Meltas, Armorium Cherub
5x Assault Marines- Jump Packs, Flamer
5x Assault Marines- Jump Packs, Flamer

Raptor Wing
Stormtalon- Skyhammer Missiles
Stormtalon- Skyhammer Missiles
Landspeeder- Heavy Flamer & Multimelta

Allies
Culexus Assassin

I am going to be fighting against someone who is using Thousand Sons, he claims that he isn't going to be using Magnus but I'm not convinced! haha

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #218 on: March 1, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Those Storm Talons look great AP. I especially like the really smooth transition of the canopies. You've achieved a really clean finish. They'll look great on the table.

Good balance of colours on that Techmarine too. Although being able to field a Fire Raptor and Sicaran is frankly sick! That army list you put together looks brutal and fluffy. Good luck with the game.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #219 on: March 1, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
Wow! What amazing progress Auric... I'm blown away... Phenomenal work on the Fire Raptor... very intimidating. Very nervous about going in that direction in the future... yikes.

But wow the Talons look great! I've seen that conversion before but never have I seen it look so clean. The gradient on the windshields is excellent. Great work as always...The Tech Priest looks good too!

Also dang! Bringing out the big guns for that upcoming game. You gotta give us a bat-rep! I feel for your opponent, its gonna be a tough one, but I'm still rooting for you. Good luck bud and thanks for the phenomenal updates! Sick!