News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: mechanized hunter force  (Read 502 times)

Offline chardison1980

mechanized hunter force
« on: November 8, 2007, 11:32:02 PM »
heres a list based off the skyray for support, the list being mechanized to boot 1850

Shas’so                   1 - hwdc, hwmt, pr, tlmp, si (158)
^shield drones   2

Firewarriors      12
^Devilfish transport   1 - bc, sms, ta, mt, dl (240)

Firewarriors      12

Firewarriors      12

Firewarriors                   12

Pathfinders      8
^Devilfish      1 - bc, sms, ta, mt, dl (216)

Hammerhead gunship   1 - rg, sms, ta, mt, tl, dl (180)

Hammerhead gunship   1 - rg, sms, ta, mt, tl, dl (180)

Skyray                   1 - 2x bc, ta, mt, tl, dl, seeker rack (155)
thoughts?

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: mechanized hunter force
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2007, 11:39:22 PM »
It looks good... but very....

boring/cookie-cutter.

And you mentioned Skyray support...it would warrent a note if you have 2-3 of em... but you still have the 2 railheads... you could have changed it up for an Ionhead.

My 2 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2007, 02:06:21 AM »
Shas’so                   1 - hwdc, hwmt, pr, tlmp, si (158)
^shield drones   2vz

A glorified Fireknife commander. Twin-linking at BS5 is overkill, you’ll almost always hit already so there isn’t that much of a need. A 97 point Fireknife Shas’el with a target array is just slightly less effective at shooting, but he will live much longer. Why? Shield Drones take away his independent character status, the so-called protection makes him much more vulnerable that he is by default. Culling them makes him generally unshootable, since he’s both independent and capable of JSJ. And since he won’t be shot at much, the stimulant injector isn’t that needed. Then comes the point that he’s a Shas’o, a Shas’el with a target array is cheaper for BS5, and all his other stats are irrelevant for a shooty guy. They’re generally melee upgrades, which this guy isn’t made for, the extra wound won’t matter to krak missiles and the like, the weapons that kill my suits most of the time, and he shouldn’t be shot at, and this config doesn't use his LD. Culling all the extravagances saves 51 points, a 4 Gun Drone team and a BSF somewhere. Or almost a Deathrain/Burning Eye-4 suit (twin-linked missile pods/plamsa, target array). Or a Firestorm suit (burst + missiles) for a generalist.

Pathfinders      8
^Devilfish      1 - bc, sms, ta, mt, dl (216)

I’d say no. Your only infantry that starts on the board (if you want to mark), so that makes every anti-infantry gun point at them by default. If you’re shipping them around then they aren’t marking, meaning that they’re glorified Carbine Warriors. If you start in the Devilfish it’s a minimum of 2 turns until they can mark, and if you haven’t deployed your Fire Warriors then every anti-infantry gun will still point at them. If you want to keep them, then I suggest getting some bodies on the field to draw some fire, like Kroot. Cutting 2 warriors off each FoF team and cutting the fat off your commander frees up 131 points, 9 more (Warfish or Shas’el target arrays, you got markerlights) and you can get 2x 10 squads of Kroot. Their slow speed is countered by infiltration, letting you get them immediately into threatening places to ensure that they draw the fire and soften up targets for FoF, or draw away naughty units from your target locations. It’ll also make me happy :P

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »
If the firewarriors and pathfinders are all in their devilfishes then the commander is the only infantry on the board, and thus not protected by his IC status (I think, since the tanks are all large targets). He also doesn't have any gun drones on his transports who can shield the commander.

It's probably what the OP was thinking when he added the drones.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »
If that's the case, then fear not. He still stays safe with independent character status. "Closest target" isn't limited to infatry, it's everything. If it were otherwise, he still has JSJ, which is free.