News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: local tourney results for tau  (Read 627 times)

Offline TaUhOrDe

local tourney results for tau
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
okay so its finally time for the 40k tounament in my local hobby store and im pumped the day  before all im doing is thinking about lists and i finally came up with this

HQ
shas'o with fusion and plasma shield drones

Troops
3 squads of fire warriors 1 with a devilfish

Elites
3 crisis suits with fusion and plasma
3 crisis suits with a mix of weapons for a balance
6 stealth suits

Heavy support
3 broadsides shield drones
hammerhead with railgun
hammerhead with railgun

so i get down there at 10 in the morning just to start to help set up the boards(it started at 12) by the time it was 12 there was only 10 people there but alot of people were coming at 1 so we decided to wait till 1 and the number boosted up to 20 people. so after we set up the tables and match up the players we went over the scoring which went like this

we did a point system where the most u can get is 4 points

1 point for killing the other persons general
1 point for who had the most table quarters
1 point for who had the most victory points
1 point we did different things for each round in the first round u would get a point when in the beggining of the game you picked 1 of your oppenets models and then 1 of yours(both could be a tank)and u had to kill his model with ur model within 12 inches

So first round i get matched up against speed freeks
balls i knew that this would happen i make a list for basically against space marines(12 out of 20 people had a majority of 3+ saves)
so his list was something like
warboss lots of ups
about 7 trucks full of boys and 2 had a shield generator
1 more truck with a nasty gun on it where u roll for strength
7 bikers with turbo boost

the terrain was barrels on my side in the left corner where i put my broadsides and a squad of crisis suits a huge ship in the middle where i put a fire warrior squad and crisis suit squad beneath it and infiltratd my stealth suits on top of it then scattered building on the right where i put the remainder of my troops in a firing line with a defilfish in front of them to maybe slow down the orks

his deplyment was easy all the trucks on the side with the buildings and the bikes on the other side

so starting the game he says he will kill one of my broadsides with a biker and i said i would kill a truck with a  hammerhead

1st turn
he(Paul) wins first turn and his turn is predictable everything moves up 24 inches except his 1 big truck with the nasty gun. he shoots with that one truck get a glance on my hammerhead and rolls a predictable 6 so i think great orks with luck in shooting awesome

my turn and i try to spread my troops around and prepare my kroot for a counter charge so with one of my broadsides(the one with the target lock) i kill his truck with the nasty gun then with the other broadsides and the crisis suits i kill all his bikes but 1
then on the other side i moved up my hammerhead and blew up  the truck the i said i would so thats already 1 point. that truck also had his warboss in it so i destroyed his whole squad and his warboss that 2 points hahaha
then with the rest of my shooting i couldnt do anything because i didnt know but with my leader and every1 else when u penetrate it only counted as glancing so i hardly even scratched them(there was some complaints on those shield generators because some1 thinks that u had to roll for it so it would be like disruption pods)

so not a bad first turn points wise but i know i didnt kill close to enough orks

turn 2
he zooms his bikes up and get ready to assault my broadsides and he moves up the rest of his 50 boys just ready to assault me in the shooting phase he once again glances my other hammerhead then rolls another 6 i was cursing my luck then because now i couldnt kill orks in a group but watever. so he gets everything is assualt except my stealth suit team, a fire warrior squad with a devilfish and my kroot and my leader
i go first with my broadsides and manage to hit 6 out of 6 times yeh thats right the broadsides are at it again rolling like a bloodthirster and then i mangage to wound 6 out of the 6 hits(thank you god) and he failed all of them so broadsides win and move farter back on the barrels. on the other side though everything got murdered and he consolidated into the trucks except for 1 squad which had the shield generator

so then on my turn i kill 1 truck with my broadsides and murder the whole squad inside there because the shield generator was too far away. then i do what no1 believes will happen because i love kroot so much and i charged with my kroot and my shaper i go first because no waaaaggghhh and here comes 62 S4 attacks to say  the least i raped them and it was overkill.

the rest of the game can easily be summed up i never got to shoot at him again
he sent 1 squad to the broadsides but didnt kill them sent 1 to destroy my kroot and 1 to my stealth suits so all he had left was 2 trucks  and i think 25 orks and i had a devilfish with fire warrior in it which i thought controlled a table quarter but he had 1 quarter and then he put a squad in between the quarter with my devilfish so that he controlled two and contested mine

so to sum it up i got 2 points by killing his general and for kiling his truck with my hammerhead

paul got 3 points for killing my general having more table quarters and more victory points

so overall not a bad game i thought i was gonna get destroyed but my kroot came through again and destroyed the orks in close combat but if i could of played it again it would of been different but watever

now this is why i posted this in the Tau forum because i need help aganist these speed freeks so any advice against then is welcome

game 2 coming up soon i just need some breakfast

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:48:19 AM by TaUhOrDe »
Tau - 4000pts
Grey Knights - 2000pts
*new* Kroot - 2000pts

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
Re: local tourney results for tau
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »

Against the Speed Freaks one good game plan can be to reduce their mobility as much as possible, including to further emphasise your own. In essence, take down those vehicles so the Orks within are forced to slog it across the field.

Use the heavier weapons to open up the Trukks, then pour Pulse fire into each unit until it is neutralised. Ion Cannons could be good choices here for your Hammerheads if you have the bitz to swop the guns around, also giving you some extra points to use elsewhere.

I'd probably change a few Fusion weapons for Missile Pods if you can - allowing you to stay as far away as possible whilst taking out the vehicles. The Fusion Blasters only really carry the advantage against heavier armour or instant-killing Warbosses/Nobz, and you've still got Railguns lying around there.
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline TaUhOrDe

Re: local tourney results for tau
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:57:31 PM »
yeh i know i still cant believe i didnt dominate in that game but my luck was very bad shooting against the trucks because i kept on rolling 1's and 2's on the glancing table but more to come int the morning
Tau - 4000pts
Grey Knights - 2000pts
*new* Kroot - 2000pts