News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: wraithguard in harlequin armies  (Read 5922 times)

Offline dvs1

• acting stupid never felt so right...
  • Armies: All things elfy
wraithguard in harlequin armies
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
Would it be totally inconceivable that a harlequin army would also include wraithguard?  I was thinking that my troupe isn't above grave robbing, and have taken to using departed eldar souls to feed to the meat grinder, instead of their own dwindling kindred.  As far as wraith bone technology and constructs go I don't see why not as they both frequent craft worlds, and may be able to enlist the aid of any like minded bonesingers they meet.  In game terms, it would allow me to fill up troop slots without having to include guardians and the like.  I'm not sure how i feel about rangers/pathfinders as mimes, even though I know they are moving towards aspirants nowadays.  So watcha think?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: wraithguard in harlequin armies
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:14:58 AM »
Yes - in the old fluff Harelquins didn't even carry soulstones and to inlcude non-Harlequins just because they are dead seems rather diametrically opposite how the Harlequins "recruit".
I mean, by all means, play your army the way you want, but there is no backing of this in the fluff, and as far as Harlequins go, storywise, it is in the realm of no-nos.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline dvs1

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:01 AM »
I guess that makes sense...but what about wraithlords?  In the fan 'dex version on this site, they are listed as marionettes, and are described much like a SM dreadnought would as dying warriors would be entombed, or something to that effect.  What if I modeled all the wraith-constructs to look like marionettes also? Whats the deal behind those anyway?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:25 AM »
The rationale behind the Spiritwalker is that on rare occasions a gravely injured Harlequin can be brought to the Black Library and "interred" in a Wraithlord. This is a rare thing, not by squads and most certainly not as troops.

Offline dvs1

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
was there anything in the RT fluff that said harlies used forms of 'robots' to both do the robot and to help with performances?  This is just second hand from some dude off BOLS.  If thats a no then I guess I play a hybrid army with ahem 'heavy' harlequin influence.  I can live with that.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:16 AM »
The official fluff does not mention robots at all, apart from the fact that the Harlequins used to salvage broken imperial robots to use them as fodder. They used to salvage a lot of things back then.

Offline dvs1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Any suggestions then, on how to go about making a 5th ed legal harlequin army?  Or is it just an impossible task without fan 'dexes?

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:13:38 AM »
That's a difficult issue.
The actual Eldar codex contains several units that correspond to Gav Thorpe's inofficient Harlie codex:
Harlies as Elite, Shining Spears as FA, Wraith Lords as HS, and certainly can an Autarch or Farseer lead a Harlie army as Greater Harlie or Shadowseer.
The main issue is the troop section, where Gav's codex offers Harlies and Mimes.
As Harlies are elites, Mimes need to be implemented somehow by the official Eldar codex. Not sure how to do that.

Offline dvs1

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 08:58:24 AM »
I do believe thats quite a pipe dream....everyone has a million suggestions for everything except for what can perhaps be used as troops.  I heard mimes  and such, but looking at the current 'fluff', I find even that a long stretch.  I'm praying that the upcoming DE codex may rectify this, even if its not cumulative to the eldar dex.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
The new DE codex will hardly do anything for Harlies, except that GW will eventually be sensitized that the Eldar kin should have a new Eldar 'dex with a Harlie subfaction. :D

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »
I do believe thats quite a pipe dream....everyone has a million suggestions for everything except for what can perhaps be used as troops.  I heard mimes  and such, but looking at the current 'fluff', I find even that a long stretch.  I'm praying that the upcoming DE codex may rectify this, even if its not cumulative to the eldar dex.
I doubt the Harlequins will make an appearance in the DE dex at all, and if they do they will get a spot similar to the one in the Eldar dex, or smaller.  The Harlequins did get a shot a their own dex, but the fanbase was not big enough or vocal enough to pull it through. Troll #29 pretty much illustrates this point, the way GW thinks of the Harlequins.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 02:44:04 AM »
Well, exalted Rasmus, Harlequins in a DE codex sounds weird to me.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
They should by all rights of the fluff, have as much place there as in the CWE-codex. However, as GW has started caring less and less about the canonical fluff and more about the personality of the armies, I very much doubt the Harlequin/CWE tie-in will ever be in the DE-codex, if indeed there ever is another DE codex, but that's another kettle of fish.

Offline kasrkin43

« Reply #13 on: July 2, 2010, 03:04:29 AM »
The rationale behind the Spiritwalker is that on rare occasions a gravely injured Harlequin can be brought to the Black Library and "interred" in a Wraithlord. This is a rare thing, not by squads and most certainly not as troops.

But doesn't the wraithlord require a soulstone to pilot it?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #14 on: July 2, 2010, 03:57:52 AM »
It does now (when it was introduced it was still a piloted vehicle) and nowadays the Harlequins carry soulstones.
The theory is hat even without soulstones you could have a dying harlequin brought to the Library and then be moved directly into a Spiritwalker rather than into a stone and then into the construct.
At least, that's the theory. As you can understand this is a bit sketchy.

Offline Raven

« Reply #15 on: July 4, 2010, 05:27:18 PM »
To chime in.

Surely the perfect troop for a harlequin themed army would be jetbikes?

Harly-bikes exist, and presumably you cant dance while riding a flying bike, so the guardian-stats would be allright?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #16 on: July 5, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »
Harlequins on bikes do indeed dance, and are scary that way. They have done so since 2nd ed. The Harlequin Revision here reflects this, but brightly coloured Guardian on jetbikes fill the purpose well enough as long as you don't expect them to act like Harlequins once they are engaged in close combat.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
Sorry for this bit of thread spirit singing, but it was close to the top of the listed threads, and the harlie forum is a tad on the slow side so...

For troops in an eldar codex harlequins list, I'd say that bikes would work just fine.  Give them a warlock with enhance to make them *slightly* more harlie-like in close combat.  Rangers work as mimes refluffed as snipers, or you can even use them as an (extremely overpriced) outflanking objective grabber or emergency assault unit or something. Granted, that's highly inadvisable.  Storm Guardians with an enhance warlock sorta works, but I don't really care for that option.  Still, totally doable.

Alternatively, you could consider doing the same thing but with the dark eldar codex.  Run a wych cult army to get lots of lithe, double close-combat wielding elves who "dance" out of the way of danger in close combat.  They also have bikes if you want them as well as open-topped vehicles. 

Offline Seraph Tenacious

« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »
It works if all you are interested in is the look, but it won't play like a real Harlequin army. The playstyle is frankly what makes me love harlequins.