News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 list for critique  (Read 474 times)

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
1850 list for critique
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:18:41 AM »
As I have been critiquing lists lately but not really posting any, I felt it would be fun to put the shoe on the other foot. On a side note, I am now trying to keep actual critiques limited to those lists that specifically ask for them [or at least give the strong impression that one is sought],while simply offering some help or input if that is all that is asked for. Since I am looking for a critique I hope you will be... well... critical! This means justification for your comments. So on to the list now:

Craftworld Ryleina is a smaller craftworld with a population numbering roughly 10 million Eldar.  Ryleina circles a recovered Maiden world named Vayleris, located in a lonely area of Ultima Segmentum about 60 degrees off Bork and Angelis. This means that a good majority of their historic opponents are Orks, and as such their military has developed along those lines. Their smaller population and distance from other craftworlds has in large part accounted for their continued need to employ some form of militia in battle as they quickly exhaust their supply of Aspect Warriors outside of the Avengers, who are somewhat more numerous. As always, an injunction against necromantic practices, abhorence of daemons and their kin, and a severe mistrust of the Warp requires the exclusion of Avatars, Wraith Units, and the purchase of more than one Warrior Power/Psychic Power per Exarch/Farseer.

This force is brought together under the leadership of Esir Y'sil, a high-ranking Autarch of Craftworld Ryleina who performs the role of Generalship under the guidance of the Seer Nualla, dispatched from the council to lend Y'sil aid on the field of battle. The force represents a large detachment of Ryleinite forces assembled to destroy the threat of a Chaos raid. Being that the Ryleinite guns of war are generally suited to fighting Orks, a large close-quarters group is included in this force to take advantage of mobility, terrain, and covering fire to close with the enemy in assault. To this end Y'sil will employ a two-wave strategy where the first wave consists of guns and the second wave iconsists of blades. Deployment is intended across a broad front, concentrating to strike into the heart of the enemy as quickly as possible. Y'sil's force is bolstered by a contingent of Harlequins who have visited to aid the craftworld in fighting the forces of Chaos.

Terrain is likely to feature ordered landscaping [it is inside a craftworld after all] consisting of buildings in various states of damage and orchards, groves and some hills. If fighting is closer to the cities themselves then the table will begin to resemble a Cities of Death battlefield without the rules. Anticipated enemy is chaos though the list should handle all comers.

1841pt Craftworld Ryleina Defense Force

155 Esyr Y'sil  [Counts-As Yriel]
83 Nualla      [Doomseer w/ Spear]

[Y'sil leads the combat wave of my army, riding with the Storm Guardians to the biggest enemy threat. Nualla will remain in the shooting wave, dooming targets for either wave as appropriate. Either will perform tank strikes if pressed to it.

128 Striking Scorpions [5 + 1 Exarch with Scorpion Claw/Stalker]
170 Harlequins [3 with kiss+ccw, 1 w/ pistol/ccw, 1 Seer w/ pistol/ccw], 1 Master w/ pistol/psword]

Both these squads will play a forward role, sharing the Falcon through a tactic whereby both units are almost guaranteed to be in combat by turn 3.

130 Ryleinite Home Guard [11 storm guardians with 2 meltas, led by a Warlock w/ Spear and Enhance]
130 Wave Serpent [Twin ShCannon, Twin ShPult, V.Engines, S.Stones]

This squad is largely for combat support; the guardians will avoid early casualties by remaining aboard until critical combats have been initiated, then they will join in to swell the ranks. Y'sil may disembark earlier than the squad if needed. The Home Guard can perform AT duty as needed, if initial assaults go well.

110 Ryleinite Defenders [10 Guardians w/ Brightlance]
110 Ryleinite Defenders [10 Guardians w/ Brightlance]
128 Avenger Squad [7 + 1 Exarch w/ Dual Catapults/Defend]
128 Avenger Squad [7 + 1 Exarch w/ Dual Catapults/Defend]

This makes up my core shooting forces - the Avengers will take a defensive deployment anticipating the second turn, but will advance early if an opening presents itself, then begin blasting the enemy. The defenders will stay as hidden as possible, acting as a second shooting line which will primarily shoot tanks/heavy infantry/MCs, leaving only one gunner exposed at a time. They will fire on enemy vehicles before my tanks so that if they hit, I can go for long shots with better odds of success.

157 Young Nobles [Count as Shining Spears: 2 + 1 Exarch w/ ShCannon/Withdraw]
The final part of my assault wave, performing a clean-up function; they will take time to get into combat, preferring other units to do the heavy work. As such they will fire and fade until the time to strike is clear.

60 Vyper [2xShCannon]
60 Vyper [2xShCannon]

These two Vypers act like wolves and chase down the weaker enemy units or engage in positioning for AT duty. They will perform strikes in an opportunistic manner and give a slightly higher priority to survival than to attack, though they may zip in between the lines to protect my gunline from enemy units if required.

125 Fire Prism [Prism, ShPult, S.Stones]
This will be the long arm of my shooting lines, firing from a distance through the enemy ranks and targetting tanks first, squads second. In earlier rounds it will bolster the defenders, in middle rounds it will light up targets to be finished by Avengers, and in closing rounds fill whatever role necessary, scoring if able.

165 Falcon [Pulse lazer, ShCannon, ShPult, Holofield, Stones]
This bird is kept cheap and not as shooty as it could be, as it will be transporting two units, shuttling back and forth through the field of battle. I expect it will live long enough to do its primary job, but it will carry the scorps first as the harlies are more likely to make up the distance on foot and less likely to be targetted early. Also the scorpions are more likely to survive unfortunate early crashes. Since it will be playing the 12" game, I will make use of those pulse lasers in hunting tanks etc, with the shuriken cannon as potentially helpful in that regard. If it lives long enough to score I will be thrilled, otherwise it's job is generally finished by turn three.

So the basic gameplan is falcon deploys centrally, serpent further out and prism farthest of all on the opposite side. The defenders, storm guard and avengers will deploy near the serpent [the storm guard may be on foot], so as to pull my opponent towards one flank or push him further out. The vypers will hide on whichever flank will see them most protected. The scorps and harlies go near the falcon to board it quickly; my doomseer will begin the game in with the harlies while Y'sil joins the stormguard. The spears deploy away from the main force in a manner to meet up with my assault elements in the middle of the field by turn 3-4.

As described, the shooting wave advances a bit behind the assault elements, getting in position to fire from cover by turn 2. The prism will attack across the length of the board while my other two gravtanks take the center, making space for my shooting line. After that, it will be a series of assaults with the Avengers, Prism and Vypers blowing up survivors/escapees. The spears will at this time join the fray, after pinning smaller units in place earlier on. At this point in the plans I may end up joining Y'sil to the spears if it makes sense so that he can make use hit and run as well. Then I can open enemy units back up to fire to finish them off.

Of course, things don't always go according to plan. Esir Y'sil as a non-scoring unit will play a bodyguard function and put himself in jeopardy to free other squads; if the falcon is downed early on the harlies will move to counter-assault while my guns cover the further advance or retreat of the scorpions. Then those elements [harlies/scorps] can lead an approach to the enemy by my shooting forces where cover is available to shield all from the brunt of enemy attention. Finally, I can perform a tactical withdrawal, hiding in my DZ and forcing the opponent to close, where I can pounce on him with mid-range assaulters.

How are my chances, and how is this army?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:21:10 AM by Gutstikk »