News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to the game, could do with some help!  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Infernion

• Lan Haras - Bright Blood
  • Armies: Eldar Craftworlds
New to the game, could do with some help!
« on: May 29, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to warhammer and I could really do with some help. I collect Eldar and have decided to make my own craft world. So far the only bit of history I have decided upon is that they got stuck in the eye of terror and fought there way out. They are heavily combat focused with fast, long ranged tactics. I could do with some help deciding on a name, some possible ideas for their history and some units that would suit them based on their combat style. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I really want the best for my army, as do you all.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:09:48 PM by Infernion »
Lan Haras - Bright Blood

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New to the game, could do with some help!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).  You've definitely found the right place for help with Eldar here.

If you're keen to establish a strong historical narrative for your army, and I think that it's a very good way to start, you might find this article of help: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=950.  It's long and quite detailed in places, but hopefully it will give you some useful ideas :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:50:46 AM »
Irisado's link is the best way to get you started on developing the backstory for your Craftworld. As for unit selections to match backstory for fighting on Crone Worlds and Daemonic invasions its tough to say.

Altanasar which has a similar backstory and home to Maugan-Ra Phoenix Lord of the Dark Reaper, obvious employs a good amount of Reapers. Their long range, high volume of attacks sound ideal. Obviously Jetbikes are the fastest most high volume of firepower out there. Hornets from Forge World are fantastic as well... all of which I have a lot of experience with and highly recommend.

As for combat, its iffy on how many ghost warriors an Eldar Craftworld fighting their way out of the Eye would employ, but Wraithblades are a great unit. Striking Scorpions are excellent as well and probably the best CC unit in the Eldar codex. I've used both of them many, many times and my Scorpions are on a white-hot killing streak right now, so I totally recommend them.

Anyway those are just some basic ideas to get you going. Anyway welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy your Eldar. They are such a great army. Let us know what you think!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Infernion

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »
Thank you so much, the help is greatly appreciated. I have a few names i have considered, could do with some help deciding on one.
Lan Haras - Bright Blood
Eosik Camion - Fearsome Revenge
Jheka Marg - Between Death
Athag Marg - Face of Death
Estu Marg - Second Death
lia-Marg - Death again
Bahn Baharr - Energy beam Storms
lia-Lan - Bright Again
Cait Marg - Punishing Death
Athag Angau - Face of Doom

I'm still open to suggestion if anyone thinks of a better name.

Post Merge: May 30, 2016, 08:00:03 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I also don't know how to edit my profile and put in the army's i have and the description etc, could you point me towards a post that explains this to me.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:00:03 AM by Infernion »
Lan Haras - Bright Blood

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:58:40 PM »
Lan Haras or Lia-Marg would get my vote.  They both have a certain ring to them which implies beauty and grace laced with potential death, which fits the Eldar rather well in my opinion.

As for help with your profile, you'll be able to edit it once you've made three posts and become a member of the newbie post count group :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Infernion

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »
Thanks again, I think i'm going to go with Lan Haras. I should have some pictures of the painting ive done so far, its not the best as i have never painted an army before but i wouldn't say its terrible! I'm also in the process of writing up the fluff behind my craftworld. I think I'm going to make them a warrior craftworld for one of the smaller planets the Eldar inhabited before the fall. When the fall occurred they decided the way to honor their fallen comrades would be to hit the enemy where it hurt the most, the eye f terror. They threw themselves into combat against the chaos without really knowing what they were up against. They fought for many years until their resources were nearly out, and their army was depleted to the point where much of it was wraith constructs. It was at this point they realized that coming out was a whole lot harder than coming in. It was only due to the help of a harlequin troupe and their superior knowledge of the webwaythat they were able to escape. They currently struggle for survival with their numbers severely depleted, about 1/4 of their original force remains. The details are yet to be ironed out and if anything in their is stupid and/or completely unbelievable please let me know as i am new to Eldar.

Thanks so much for the help!

Infernion

Modification: I have just made the sign thingy for the Lan Haras craftworld in photoshop and it is currently set as my avatar, any thoughts? possible changes?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:08:30 PM by Infernion »
Lan Haras - Bright Blood

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »
Nice... I like that backstory. I think themes around army composition sound good. Having some ghost units really adds a lot to the look of any Eldar force. I've had tons of success with Wraithblades with axes and shields, and both shooty forms of Wraithguard as well.

Also the icon looks very nice. Its very distinctive and unique I think its a keeper.

Craftworld name sounds good too, has a Star Wars type vibe that I like.

Anyway good stuff buddy. Seems like you are having a lot of fun with it so far. Don't hesitate to ask about putting together a list or something along those lines. There's a lot of experience on these here forums. lol Anyway keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Infernion

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »
I don't have the money or the models to make a big army list but i think when i do it will contain mostly wraithbone structures and Jet bikes. The next model I'm buying is going to be the farseer on a jetbike and some jetbikes to go with it. I'm really grateful for all the help you lot have given, extremely happy i found this place! I'm considering changing the title of this and just making it a long term thing about developing my army, what do you guys think? And if i do, would i need to move it elsewhere? If so, where would i put it?

Thanks again!
Infernion.
Lan Haras - Bright Blood

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
The best thing to do is to use the topic I moved to Project Blogs for all your ongoing work, especially if it's modelling or painting.  The army specific boards are best suited for topics which have some sort of end goal, such as a specific army list or tactical discussion.

You can change the title of the topic if that would better reflect your needs to this discussion, and this is the right place to ask for short-term army list help :).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
Gav Thorpe has some books about the Eldar, which not only are they a good read, but have some interesting insights. Considering your backstory I would start with Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan as it fits the time line you are looking at.

"The Path of the" Warrior, Seer, Outcast is a nice series too, and gives some idea of what life could be like on the craftworlds.