News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63280 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2017, 05:52:06 AM »
Thanks guys :) yeah I'm really pleased with how he turned out, and there's loads of potential for other Ynnari'd units too.

I'm glad you like the fluff pieces Alienscar :) I really enjoy putting them together. It must be brilliant fun coming up with a Codex, and building up a background for a whole race using just these little snippets of info dotted around the book. I've always thought that was a really clever way of doing it :)

As for looking at bits in a different way I have no idea :S I was going to do a bit of a step-by-step on this one, but when the bits arrived I was so excited I didn't remember until I was halfway through :S

What I do is I sort of have a picture in my head of what I want the guy to vaguely look like. Some sort of tattered cloak, a blank helmet (always associated them with both psykers and wraith units), some sort of staff, mix of Craftworld and Dark Eldar bits, and not particularly dynamic (perhaps standing bolt upright like the Archon, or walking forwards).

From there I look for bits and pieces that best fit. I bought a load of little bits of ragged cloaks from the Vampire Counts range with the intention of making a cloak, but one of them ended up being the lower half of an arm so I decided he'd look cool with a ragged cloak draped over his arm. The Wrack legs are pretty much the only option there is for Eldar legs that aren't running or splayed wide, but it's lucky that they fit the idea of a prophet dressed in rags perfectly :)

I also try and keep the torso as an Eldar bit. I've tried branching out into Fantasy Elf stuff, but the whole 'broad shoulder pads, skinny waist and armour 6-pack' is so iconically Eldar that I've personally never liked anything I've come up with that doesn't have one. As it's an HQ (Farseer/Spiritseer), a Dire Avenger torso is a little step up from a Guardian one so that fit nicely. I did find that the shoulder pads looked a bit much, but the Vampire Counts bits had two halves of a hood that matched their curve nicely.

As for arms, I originally wanted him to be walking forwards, staff in hand, with his other hand open wide with its palm facing towards us. Psychologically, showing your palms to someone is a specifically non-threatening gesture (people do it to say hi, to calm someone down who's angry, or to show submission. We think it's a display that shows you have no weapons in your hands so you're not a threat). I used it on my Solitaire to try and make a bit of cognitive dissonance between the non-threatening gesture and the fact that it's a quasi-daemonic Eldar killing machine ;) it's also a pose that's frequently used to depict religious icons, especially Jesus, so I thought it would be fitting for a prophet.

I had the perfect arm for it (the Wrack pilot arm from a Venom), but unfortunately when I clipped the hand off to rotate it, it pinged off into the ether! A little bummed, I sifted through my bits from the Wrack kit for something similar and came across this arm which I thought was better! Pointing a little off to the side is always a kickass pose, especially if it's a little languid, and the hand had a cool skeletal look to it :) so, in that went and done!

Ah, actually, a few little tips that have helped me with posing. I stick the legs onto the base first, and then get the body glued together but don't glue it in place yet. Then I get an array of cool arms that I could use, as well as the head I've chosen, and lay them out around it. Then, I physically enact the pose which the arms/legs are doing, and take note of what angle my body and head is at in relation to my legs. Then, I copy that for the model :) it helps get your poses looking natural. Oh, and the head goes on last :)

Sorry for the wall of text! But thought you might find it useful :)

As for the feet, I do think you're right but it's a bit of a bugger to change now! I don't think it comes across, but I pictured it less as bare feet and more as boots that are designed to look skeletal. They're painted in the same bone colour as the armour plates, rather than the pale skin (probably doesn't show) of the Wrack arm.

Here's some pictures of the cloak :) I didn't include them because they weren't particularly flattering :S the first one's picked out the seam between the two halves of cloak I stuck together which I swear is invisible to the naked eye (was really proud of that fact!), and has some little bubbles from the light Ushabti Bone wash I did which I noticed and subsequently corrected...

Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2017, 07:13:12 AM »
Absolutely sick! Wow... my vote for you to be best modeler has been rewarded immediateley! Wow sooooo awesome Ynnead. Really, really love this guy. So ethereal and deathly... I love it man.

How do you plan on finishing his paint job? I can't wait to see it finished. Super nice work as always Ynnead... truly next level. Killing it bro
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
Thanks dude! You flatter me :)

Here was me thinking his paint was finished! ;) tbh i wasn't really certain where else to go with the paint. I wanted it to stay ghostly and ethereal, with very sparse ornamentation. I couldn't actually think what else i could do the wouldn't detract from that.

Perhaps a little XV88 in the folds of the cloak to give it a little more depth...

Any ideas?

Post Merge: February 19, 2017, 09:04:07 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Added one little touch to the prophet dude, a little Harlequin mask clipped to his belt a la Visarch :)

I've got a little bit of headcanon that Harlequins gift a mask to people deemed to be friends and allies of the harlies :)

It also completes the whole 'melding of all eldar factions' aesthetic that Ynnari have going on :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:04:08 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
Oh sorry bud! Didn't realize you were done!

I just thought some extra Pallid Wych dry brush highlights on the cloak and perhaps the face plate to finish him up and take the weathered but ethereal effect over the top.

But correct me if I'm wrong... because I'm pouring over the pics now... because the lighting may be washing out the highlights... because in one pic where the sleeve is facing the right (with really good light on it) I see exactly the kind of highlighting I'm suggesting. I know in pics my highlights always get lost  :'( :'( :'(

The most important thing is you've got the model in hand, so dont push the paint job if its gonna take it in a direction that you dont want. I've done that at other people prompting and ruined it. Either way it looks great man, I love the conversion, paint job and paint scheme. Extra drybrushing may wash the model out to much... that was just my thought though. Anyway bud keep it up I love it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:26 AM »
Haha no worries :) I'm always open to suggestions, so anything you can add is welcome :)

I was thinking Pallid Wych Flesh myself actually, so glad to hear I might be onto something ;)

I'll give it a go on the cloak and the visor and see what it looks like. It's such a simple scheme so it won't be a pain at all to re-do if it doesn't look quite right, and they're both low-detail areas so an extra thin layer of paint or two won't be obscuring any detail :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Sweet! Would have felt terrible if I offended in anyway. I've got a picture of a WIP progress Chaos Space Marine painted in the same scheme as you guy with a Pallid Wych drybrush and I think it'll convey my idea better than words. I'll snap a photo later today and show it you, hopefully it'll help!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Oh yeah no worries at all :)

If you've got an example that would be really helpful! :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Here's some pictures of the cloak :) I didn't include them because they weren't particularly flattering

Thanks for the extra pictures they really help me understand how the cloak really looks. I am not one for visualising something so the pictures help me a great deal.

Sorry for the wall of text! But thought you might find it useful :)

Wow thanks for all the information. Not only helpful but insightful as well. Reading about your thought processes is fascinating stuff Ynneadwraith.

I don't think it comes across, but I pictured it less as bare feet and more as boots that are designed to look skeletal.

That does come across Ynneadwraith as when I first saw your conversion I thought you had used the feet from a Legion of the Damned model. I decided that you wouldn't have used an Imperial aesthetic on an Eldar model so therefore they must be bare feet.

Talking of being helpful have you seen THIS 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:59:27 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
No worries :) glad you found it interesting :)

I hadn't spotted that! Cool :) I'll have a look through and make some nominations. Flattered that my name appears there once or twice! :)

As for this week's distraction I've been making up some Eldar Void Craft from various bits and pieces I've got lying around :) always been a fan of space combat and general space-ship stuff since games like Freespace and Homeworld :)

So, here's the fleet so far :)

The largest ship is the Angvai Cruiser 'The Stars of Ancient Times Shine on Eldanesh (alt. Ageless Starlight, alt. The Grave Shines Brightest)' with its massive dorsal lance.

The second largest is the Angvai Frigate 'The Oaths of Old Remain Unbroken (alt. Oathkeeper, alt. Bound to Ancient Cycles)'. Smaller dorsal lance, and two secondary lances.

The last two are Khaine's Ravens Cloaked Listening Ships (modified from Dark Eldar Corvettes), 'The Shadows Linger in Twilight (alt. Fading Sunlight, alt. Hides-in-Shade)' and 'The Sword is the Bane of Brothers (alt. Fratricide Eternal, alt. Bonds of Kinship)'.

No relation whatsoever to game rules at all, but fun worldbuilding anyway :) got some cool names for a Corsair capital ship and a Craftworld Dreadnaught as well when I get bits to make them :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
I like the overall svelte look of the cruiser and frigate but they bug me a bit because there doesn't seem to be any room for a pilot.

The Ravens strangely remind me of Battlestar Galactica and I like that they look sinister.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Thanks man :) yeah there's no dedicated bridge, but the largest vessel is supposed to be ~8km long so plenty of space in the interior :)

The Raven's ships do look a little Cylon yeah :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
Very cool! But I screamed out in agony in realizing you cannibalized those precious, precious Harlie jetbikes for Battlefleet Gothic. lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great stuff as always though I think you should do some conversion to hide the seat on the jetbikes. Other than that... I love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
Hah yeah I've still got one left over :) this was just a chassis I'd got from a bits site. It's a shame they've stopped selling Death Masque, as eBay was awash with cheap Harlie bits and pieces...

Agreed on the seat front. Really I need to get myself some GS and smooth over the lot :)

Post Merge: February 23, 2017, 06:13:51 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I'm nearly done with the modelling of my Ynnari Dire Avengers :) I've got a little bit of work to do building up the helmets so that the faceless section is a bit more rounded and smooth, probably with Liquid Greenstuff when I get some :)

I tried Grave Guard legs, but the monopose for them is pretty severe. Every single one is in the exact same pose, which looks good in a regiment of undead, but not so much on a squad of round-based dudes. Can't wait until they get round to AoS-ing some of the older Fantasy factions so I can pinch bits from them! Til then, Flagellant legs will have to do :)

Oh, also came up with a little bit of background fluff for my Prophet :)

Deep in the bowels of Commorragh, a metallic clatter echoed through the depths as one of Malcarta's servile units dropped its workload. Searing white light burned through its neurones as its life flashed before its eyes. Birth and early years on Craftworld Angvellaith, railing against its oppressive atmosphere. Tears of his mother as he left to follow the Outcast Path. First firefight aboard the Corsair Corvette 'The Shadow Lingers in Twilight'. The terrible debt he accrued with the twisted haemonculi. The subtle psychological conditioning worming into his mind as he sold himself to servitude. Dullness of sensation as he carried out his masters wishes decade after decade. Death and resurrection, over and over.

It all burned in blinding clarity as memories reasserted themselves. Feeling flowed through his aching limbs. Psychic potential blossomed in his cerebelli. One face filled his newfound vision: Yvraine. He knew he had felt the kiss of death and the rush of resurrection many times before. Nonetheless he was reborn.

Lastly, what self-respecting protagonist would go without a mortal enemy?

Since they first came out, I've always loved the Oldcron fluff, especially pitching them as an ancient mythic enemy of the Eldar. I was always used to the Eldar being the oldest and wisest of the 40k races, and discovering just how young they truly are was a beautiful shock to the system :) their fluff had the absolute perfect balance of threat, terror and mystery for them to be utterly intriguing.

Whatsmore, models and artwork like this just absolutely captivated me :)

So, I just had to make some proper Oldcron Yngir adversaries to my Eldar. Not some lame-ass Tomb Kings...in spaaace. Proper alien eldritch terror from the depths of prehistory that even the Eldar don't remember :)

« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 11:32:57 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2017, 01:02:43 AM »
Dang man, absolutely loving this recent work of yours -- that Necron is also fabulous, just shows how multi-talented you are hah! All of my work is Craftworld/Croneworld/Corsair, not even DE, but here you have all the races, factions, and now the Ancient Nemesis as well.

Super stoked to see what comes next! Any thoughts on what you would put in an actual army list with the Reborn Warhost?
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2017, 06:02:18 AM »
Thanks man you flatter me :)

I definitely wouldn't knock yourself at all, your army's a thing of beauty! I'd blame my branching out on an inability to stick it out with one project until it's done ;) I've still got a bunch of exodites I need to make to actually have a complete army, but I seem incapable of making more than one squad of something! :S

As for an army list I'm not sure as I'm not much of a player :S I've read some interesting sneaky tactics though. Things like sacrificial 10pt Beastmaster units in an allied Dark Eldar Realspace Raiders detachment acting as fodder for Soulbursts, and situational combos with Death Jesters causing non-Fearless units to fall back towards your units, then assaulting them (which auto-wipes the unit on an Ld check), and then Soulburst charging another unit for your standard assault phase :)

Overall, they seem to favour units that like to get up close and personal with the enemy (not Scatbikes basically), so things like Dark Eldar Reavers, D-Scythe Wraithguard (which we might be able to put back in Raiders now!) and Fire Dragons :)

Oh, Deep Strike Scourges could be good for A/T too. They're the cheapest DS Melta-spam squad the eldar have available once you factor in a dedicated transport for Fire Dragons, and their ability to nuke a vehicle in one shooting round, with an 18" range would allow them to threaten additional units the turn they drop, rather than just dying horribly before they get to their next shooting phase :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
Looking good! Yeah Liquid Green stuff is really nice and easy to work with. I sort of like to work with it in 2 day stages. Paint it on, let it dry because it'll recess a bit... then give it another go the next day and it should be ready to rock.

The Necron looks absolutely awesome... glad I've got a little force of them started to someday I can go back and have an army of them.

I always wished Forge World would do a Pre-Imperial game with Eldar, Orks, Tyranids etc. I think that'd be amazing...

Anyway great stuff bud... love it as always

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
Thanks man :) glad to hear Liquid GS is what I'm imagining it to be :) shall have to avail myself of some after payday :)

Glad you like the necron dude as well :) it was partly your guys that persuaded me I should get some :) can't decide on a paint scheme yet though. I've got one Lychguard painted up in the standard silver (with a Drakenhof Nightshade wash) and green which looks neat, but not sure if it quite fits the desert basing. While tan and off-white might be completely played out as far as my colour schemes go, I can't help but like the way these guys look:

I'd gladly sell my soul for a pre-Fall FW setting! What a brilliant idea :)

They could play on some of the similar notes that the Visarch model has about pre-Fall Eldar aesthetics (more ostentatious than the austere craftworlders, less spiky and harsh than the Dark Eldar, with a smattering of Harlequin queues). I have absolute faith in the modelling abilities of the FW crew based on the Primarch models they've come up with too :)

They could bring back some of the cosmic horror of the Oldcron fluff, and also really go down the rabbit hole of just how far Ork technology can take them when they're basing their cannibalised parts on Necron and Eldar tech ;)

Ooh, they could even have little cameos from some of the Eldar's ancient enemies that are nothing but a name-drop at present. Things like the Hresh Selain and the Autochtinii :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
I don't know if I'm reading this right...are they your minis or a scheme that you managed to find? I think they look superb and if that's the way you go with your army, I don't think you can really go wrong.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
Ah no, i wish :) these guys are some that i found on google and blew me away!

Well, if you don't think it's too samey then i'm sold ;) ceramic-coated Necrons it is :)

Post Merge: February 25, 2017, 04:54:41 AM

Latest bit of kitbashing :) Storm Guardians are up to 5-strong now. Need some more Wych legs and female Guardian torsos. Also, can't decide whether to give them flamers or fusion guns...

Also, I'd like to introduce you to the first of Khali's Bloodbrides :)

Thought a neat way of representing the extra attack Bloodbrides have is with some extra arms to make that attack!

I've also got a bit of an idea for a small Wych Cult based on 'enhanced' gladiators :) an idea shamelessly stolen from Eye of Error's fantastic Lelith Hesperax conversion:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:54:41 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
Those poses.... THOSE POSES! Must steal! So inspired man... I want to do a second squad of Storm Guardians and I have to copy some of those poses. Fantastic work Ynnead I really love them.

Also that Bloodbride looks insane! If you could put some kind of jump pack on there I'd say you'd have a counts-as Warp Spider Exarch! lol

Everything else is equally awesome... seriously man great work. You are killing it. Now paint them up! Lol