News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thunderhawk Gunship [available to buy? you to make it?]  (Read 2714 times)

Offline thebetter1

• Drop Pods - now with reverse gear!
Thunderhawk Gunship [available to buy? you to make it?]
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
I'd really like to get one for apocalypse.  Is there one that I can buy, or do I have to scratch-build it?  If I need to build it, how?  Also, how big is it exactly?  How do I make those strange weapons?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:26:42 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
  • Crazy Gitz are the ones pressing all the buttons.
    • thebattlebunker forum
Re: Thunderhawk Gunship
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
About 2.5x the size of a Baneblade. Unless you want to spend $800 on a model the size of a shoebox, I would scratchbuild it. Theres at least 2 templates floating around that I know of with multiple methods of building: cardstock, plasticard, cereal boxes, and even wood or metal if you so wanted. But when you make something yourself you have to simplify it a little like by having 1/2" plastic tubes as turbo lasers and whatnot, it wont look like FW quality but then again a scratchbuilt hawk wont cost but $20 if done right.

Offline Greenstuff

• Banned - Useless Petty Spammer
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:44:02 AM »
I disagree. FW models are all originally scratchbuilds, so there's no reason that it isn't possible to build one to an equal or higher level of detail.

Carry on now people.
User Banned - break the rules and get chucked out.

Offline Dreades

• Imperial guard for teh win...OMG!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:48:06 AM »
greenstuff just cause u can build one to forgewolrd standard....
*shakes fist in jealousy*

no scratch building is bout your only option without paying lots for a model. try ebay or somewhere though maybe someone else is selling 1 cheap or a scratch built 1. also there where rumors of a plastic variety check the rumor mill for those though

just my 2 cents
The imperial guard is comprised of real men... they go to war in nothing but a paper vest (well it may as well be)
unliek those space marines and their fancy pancy adamantium armour....panzies!

Offline Greenstuff

• Lazerous Penguin
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:37:20 AM »
Anybody who can draw straight lines, measure and cut in a straight line, can build a highly detailed scratchbuild from plasticard.

Maths = Good stuff.

As detail goes, FW isn't all that great compared to some of the other companies out there.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:16:19 AM »
I'm not sure I'd agree that was entirely all there is too it Greenstuff, drawing straight lines is one thing, cutting them consistantly with only basic equipment can prove a little more tricky, the math I can do, but detailed plasti-card work always presents a problem as far as I'm concerned lol

Offline xothan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »
There are 2 things you need to consistently cut straight lines:

1: a REALLY sharp craft knife (because dull knives slip)
2: a cork-backed ruler (so the ruler won't slip off of the plasticard/cardboard/what have you)

A self-healing cutting mat is also a big help.

With these in your tool kit, you'll never have trouble cutting straight lines again.  I do some work as a scenic designer for theatre, and I once had to build 10 sets of stairs with nothing more than my knife, ruler, some 1/4" foam core and time.  Lots and lots of time.

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm not sure I'd agree that was entirely all there is too it Greenstuff, drawing straight lines is one thing, cutting them consistantly with only basic equipment can prove a little more tricky, the math I can do, but detailed plasti-card work always presents a problem as far as I'm concerned lol

to make high quality scratch builds is very easy it just depends on how much time your willing to put into the project, take your time make sure u have a good ruler , i myself use a metal one and also use that to cut with as i brace the line with the ruler and cut. my lines are always straight. just take your time and you will be fine.

Offline gamble

• Spammer: "It's not spam!"
  • Daddy do you want some suasage
Re: Thunderhawk Gunship [available to buy? you to make it?]
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:41:09 PM »
i once made a Thuderhawk mock up doh i threw it away!  Thunderhawks being mostly box shapes not that hard to make i gotta get me some PC and make me a proper one.
if i was rich i would hire two private detectives to watch each other and see what they came up with.

Offline iandanger

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 05:01:42 AM »
My friend and I have a great idea to make the Thunderhawk Gunship.  We are going to paper mache it based on a template we found on the intarwebz.  This way it is sturdy and well constructed and apocalypse playable...
#occupyterra

Always looking for a way to make CSM fun again.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:30:46 AM »

2: a cork-backed ruler (so the ruler won't slip off of the plasticard/cardboard/what have you)

With these in your tool kit, you'll never have trouble cutting straight lines again.  I do some work as a scenic designer for theatre, and I once had to build 10 sets of stairs with nothing more than my knife, ruler, some 1/4" foam core and time.  Lots and lots of time.

to make high quality scratch builds is very easy it just depends on how much time your willing to put into the project, take your time make sure u have a good ruler , i myself use a metal one and also use that to cut with as i brace the line with the ruler and cut. my lines are always straight. just take your time and you will be fine.

From which we can assume I really am crap with plasti-card lol, I've got the basic kit the results I'm never happy with though, especially when it comes to being somethign I want to reproduce - though granted I might be too much of a perfectionist sometimes lol

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »
From which we can assume I really am crap with plasti-card lol, I've got the basic kit the results I'm never happy with though, especially when it comes to being somethign I want to reproduce - though granted I might be too much of a perfectionist sometimes lol
2 things, good quality plasticard, some of the cheap stuff tends to have shredded edges when cut, and have lots of greenstuff/ gap filler.

Offline Farseer ToFU

• 40k Techpriest
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »
Quote from: Greenstuff
Anybody who can draw straight lines, measure and cut in a straight line, can build a highly detailed scratchbuild from plasticard.

Maths = Good stuff.

I have to disagree about how easy it is to scratchbuild.

Drawing and cutting allows you to construct.

Designing a model that looks good takes talent.

Offline Greenstuff

• Lazerous Penguin
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
But scratchbuilding is just construction. Obviously, when you use putty on it, thats a different matter, but building anything from plasticard is just a collection of shapes grouped together to form what looks like a complex pattern.

It's not easy, but the ability to 'draw straight lines, measure and cut in a straight line' means you have the ability to scratchbuild.

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 12:01:34 AM »
It's one thing to have the manual skills to cut and measure, it's another to have the artistic vision to turn a bunch of squares and triangles into a recognizable model.  Both elements are needed to be a good scratch builder. 

Offline Dark Pariah

• I got an Awful Custom Title for Arguing with a Mod
  • For Volscan! For Blood! For Chaos!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »

I cant believe you forgot bandaids!

It's one thing to have the manual skills to cut and measure, it's another to have the artistic vision to turn a bunch of squares and triangles into a recognizable model.  Both elements are needed to be a good scratch builder. 

Dont forget time and patience aswell. How many of you have given up or pushed a project aside because of a few stuffups from rushing a job? I know I have.
Need advice on a scratch build? PM me, I may be able to help.

Builder of all things chaos- Warhound Titan, Harbinger Bomber, Lord,
Stuff.

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 12:57:54 AM »
<looks up at his halfbuilt yet shelved scratch baneblade....... nods>

I think when you have as much experience as Greenstuff, scratchbuilding becomes natural and its more of a mental exercise. Remember that the amount of effort put into something will always be rewarded if you try hard enough. I cant cut a straight line to save my life, but I take pride in what I do and have only gotten good reviews so far, although my motivation is still on empty.