News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330580 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #1020 on: January 16, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
Your work in progress Farseer already looks so much better than my old second edition Farseer, which is one of the few models I actually did paint, since it is a favourite of mine.  I think that it's going to look superb once finished.  The colours already look spot on.

The Hornets look great, just like all those skimmers and flyers you paint.  The colour scheme really does work so well with the aesthetics of the model.

Looking forward to reading the battle report.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1021 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Thanks so much Irisado. Really glad you like them. I love that Farseer Sculpt to death... I've' recently stripped a bunch of my old metal minis and have some commentary on what has been lost in abandoning the single piece minis. But as for this Farseer I just love the aesthetic. The Rogue Trader Eldar were somewhat disturbing looking, a sort of biomorphic quality to the armor design with the whole elongated head element that went along way to making them feel very alien. Theres a picture by Tony Hough of a bunch of Farseers huddled together in front of a window with starcraft streaking by that always blew me away... I'd love to see a little more of that in the current Eldar designs. Less cool, more alien would go a long way IMO

Anyway thanks so much Irisado and in case you didn't see it a few pages back I wanted to make sure you knew I wished you a Happy New Year. I've really enjoyed chatting with you this past year. Thanks for all your awesome feedback its been very much appreciated
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1022 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
Love that Farseer sculpt!
I remember my favourite battle report from the old White Dwarf where an Eldar army came up against some Orks and absolutely smashed them, the Farseer in it was an absolute boss. That was possibly the first time I saw this sculpt and fell in love with it then.
I've got one which I painted up as a White Seer (Farseer that helps protect the Black Library) to go with my Harlequins, it's my main Farseer model now.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1023 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »
I'm a big fan of anything that makes the eldar seem more alien, including the kickass bugeye helm Farseer :)

Was having a conversation over on Dakkadakka about eldar/human hybrids and how unfeasible they are (and how glad I was that they were retconned). Part of that was that eldar have 20 base nucleotides in their DNA, whereas all life on earth has 4 base nucleotides.

We're more closely related to sea slugs, giant redwoods and the ebola virus than we are to the eldar.

Anything that emphasises that fact is cool by me :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1024 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Lovely work on those Hornets Cav, especially seeing as they were a reclamation project!

I love that Farseer. I also love that we get to see a WiP. One of the most fascinating things about the painting aspect of the hobby, I find, is seeing people's process. Seeing how they build up the detail on a mini...so more! You must bri ng us more WiPs!!!!

I must dig out my RT farseer. I just don't know whether I have the balls to paint over my Bro's paint job...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1025 on: January 17, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »
@Auric's Pride- Thanks so much man. Really glad you like them. Wow.... that white dwarf sounds awesome!!! I think I'm gonna by a big WD collection off ebay in the future after a big commission sometime. I just love the REALLY old stuff with all the rare metal minis. Wow jealous you had that issue!

@Ynneadwraith- lol yes I love when the Eldar are portrayed as super alien as well. I really wish they would get back to that just a bit in terms of model design. The blank DE masks is a step in that direction and I hope they go further with it. Whenever the Aelves get new models in AoS will be a big indictation... if the Silver Tower elf is any indication I'm on board. But don't forget... in Rogue Trader their was a half-Eldar Ultramarine! Check it out!

@Looshkin- Thanks so much man. Glad you dig the hornet and farseer. I know what you mean about painting over old paint jobs... I have more RT era models that I bought and they are MASTERFULLY painted by the previous owner (who I never knew) and I just cannot bring myself to paint over them. I'll take pics of them at some point.

But thanks for requesting more WIP pictures... I'm totally happy to do so. I thought it might bore you guys but if you find them enjoyable and like seeing the process I'm more than happy to do so! I'll incorporate that a lot more in my World Eaters if you like.

Anyway thanks Looshkin I appreciate it man and I'll definitley hook you up with more WIP pics.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1026 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
That's the guy I was so pleased was retconned! Illian Nastase or somesuch. Replaced with Tigurius and never spoken of again! :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1027 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Retconned? Or censored by high Imperial decree!? You decide! lol  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1028 on: January 17, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »
Speaking of things from the RT era censored by High Imperial decree, I thought I'd share this from the same thread. URL so it doesn't sully this beautiful thread.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/78/e9/14/78e9143301e49906785d236d488babdf.jpg

Suddenly a human/eldar hybrid isn't the worst thing that's happened...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1029 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
@Ynnead- Thank you for discretion in handling of that Heresy!

@Everybody- Bat-rep time! Hey guys back again with another bat-rep. First in an ongoing series with me and my brother as he commits to playing 40k on the regular. We are really diving to playing games at home now so except a lot of bat-reps between us.

We played a 1250 game and wow! What a breath of fresh air... this is what 40k used to feel like!

Lets dive right in!

1250 Eldar Vs. Imperial Guard

Eldar 1250

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun, Soulshrive
Farseer- Singing Spear- Invisibility, Domination, Prescience
Fire Dragons x5
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofields
Striking Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x10
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofields
Eldar Jetbikes x4- Scatter Lasers x4, Warlock: Destructor, Conceal/Reveal
Swooping Hawks x6- Exarch, Power Sword
Hornet x1- Pulse Lasers x2

Imperial Guard 1250

Commissar
Veterans x10- Plasma Guns x3, Vox
         Chimera- Heavy Flamers x2, Camo Netting
Sentinel
Ratlings x6
-Emperor's Wrath Artillery Formation-
Company Command- Plasma x3, Vox
Engine-Seer
Basilisk
Basilisk
Manticore

Notes- Check out my brother's freshly painted Engine Seer and one of his RT-era Ratlings also freshly painted.

Deployment and Mission: Emperor's Will (2 Objectives, in each DZ) and Vanguard Strike Deployment. My brother had me deploy first and he went first.

Turn 1

Imperial Guard- So with only 2 units on the board, he orderd his tanks to ignore cover and fired away his Basilisks and Manticore at the Serpents, causing a HP on each. I saved one hull point via Holofields which was nice. Meanwhile the Chimera and Sentinel moved out to put pressure on my objective. A decent first turn but those artillery pieces aren't great against vehicles.

Eldar- So even though the artillery isn't great against vehicles the Dragons, Autarch and Farseer can't sit around and tank shots like that forever. Furthermore I knew my reinforcements were gonna be showing up soon with the Autarch so I needed to start taking out those deadly artillery machines. So I the Command Serpent right up the board and hid him as much out of LOS as possible in the Imperial ruins. Meanwhile my other Serpent moved up and pot shotted the Rattling trying to snag some easy kills but they shrugged off the fire in their good defensive position. A quick turn but I was well setup!

Turn 2

Imperial Guard- So feeling the pressure the infantry move out. They pump everything they've got into the Command Serpent but it holds firm. Serpent Shield and Holofields doing work. Meanwhile the Artillery manage to immobilize the other Serpent putting a 2nd hull point on it. The Guard are racking up the hits, but struggling to break the armor. A weakness in my brother's collection which he will be remedying after much discussion!

Eldar- All the reserves show up! The Hawks jump down out of LOS in support of my command unit. The Hornet shows up the right flank to flush out the Chimera and Sentinel. Meanwhile the Scorpions outflank on the wrong side of the board... I wanted them going in, in support of my Command unit but oh well. They are also near the Chimera. Meanwhile the Command Unit moves out and charges into the Imperial ruins. Invisibility is cast and all other powers fail. I promptly destroy the Basilisk though I miss a number of shots. The Swooping Hawks blast which targetted the Company Command squad scatters off the board. The Hornet then whiffs against the Chimera! But luckily the Bikes and the Immobilized Wave Serpent manage to finish the sucker off. While the Avengers shoot up the Ratlings, they break and run. Bit of a shaky turn but I'm in a commanding position.

Turn 3

Imperial Guard- My bro knows the game is slipping away so he lays down the hammer! With targets finally on the board, his army shines. The Basilisk is ordered to ignore cover and annihilates the Scorpions dropping them to just 2 guys (exarch not included)! NOOO!!! Meanwhile the Basilisk receives the same order and kills 5 Avengers after a bad scatter. Also painful! Meanwhile the Veterans pump plasma into the Hornet (which doesnt jink) and fail to damage. Another unit of Veterans destroys the Command Serpent, while First Rank! Second Rank Fire! is ordered on the Veterans inside the ruins and they manage to kill a Fire Dragon, wound the Farseer and the Autarch depsite being invisible! Ouch! A good turn by the Guard and I realize this game aint over yet!

Eldar- So the Command Unit moves out towards the Manticore. That thing has to go or my Avengers are gonna get eaten alive. They target and fluff a bunch of rolls but just manage to destroy it. It explodes and wounds my Farseer and kills another Fire Dragon. Dang! Then Jetbikes zip towards the ruins, turbo-boosting to try and take out the Veterans harassing my Command unit. I have Destructor on the Warlock and I'm intent on using it, plus I'm worried about a second round of First Rank! Second Rank! Meanwhile the Hornet moves to the side and blows up the Sentinel. While the Avengers fall back to hold my Emperor's Will objective. The remaining Scorpions also move out to hopefully nail those dang Plasma Vets in the ensuing turns. Meanwhile the Swooping Hawks jump up and over the ruins, unleashing a blistering torrent of laser fire into the forward positioned Veterans and the Commissar. They then assault them the Exarch leading the way with his power sword, reducing them to about 4 guys (including the Commissar). Thats it... and my Command unit (while Invisible) still needs weather another round of laz+plaz fire in the heart of the Imperial ruins.

Turn 4

Imperial Guard- Things are real desperate now! The Basilisk unloads again on the Avengers but it scatters wildly. Then First Rank! Second Rank! is ordered on the Veterans, combined with unholy Plasma-Hell from the Command Squad and the Command Squad gets shredded despite invisibility! The Farseer dies and all the Dragons die as well. The Autarch is alone and on 1 Wound! Uh-oh. No more invisibility after this turn. Good thing I moved those Jetbikes out to help him with that Warlock + Destructor ready to go. Combat continues with the Swooping Hawks and the Veterans + Commissar fall to the xenos blades. Then in desperation the Engine-Seer charges the Autarch.. my Soulshrive has only been charged up to Strength 4 but its enough and I manage to bring the Transhumanist scum down. Its a mixed bag for the IG, they are giving the Eldar hell but are fighting a losing battle.

Eldar Turn 5 + Wrap Up- Having taken a pounding over the past 2 turns, psychic defenses totally nullified the Eldar go for broke. The Autarch moves in slaying the Company Command squad and remains locked in a duel with the Company Commander (making excellent invuln saves) for a further 2 turns before killing him. The Jetbikes hop over the ruins and Destructor Fire and Scatter Lasers wash away the Veterans. Meanwhile my Avengers hop onto their objective and the Hornet takes out the Basilisk.

While the Eldar were in control for a majority of the game it was still a good game nonethless. My brother killed a lot of models and really held his own. He hardly plays and gave a great account of himself considering his lack of regular play. We talked a lot about army composition and he's gonna get a lot more anti-tank into his list as well as a kitbashed Void Shield Generator. Playing without his flyers at 1250 is also tough. The IG flyers are a huge asset and have absolutley torn my apart in previous games.

Look for an improved list next game. My brother has kicked my Eldar's butts back to the Webway before and he'll do it again! So take heart you proud Sons of the Emperor this will not be a one sided war!

BONUS ROUND!

We know its a tough match-up for the Guard facing the Eldar regularly. Which is why I'm furiously working towards putting together another foe... and with the rumored demise of Cadia... there is no better time to let the ancient rivalry soar to new heights!

So here's my first WIP Berserker guys! Its an early WIP but hopefully you get the jist of how I'll be handling them. As per the great Looshkin's request I'll feature more WIP so you guys can see how I do it. Feel free to ask any questions you like along the way.

Also just for Looshkin I'll include some more WIP pics of my Farseer.

Real quick... I will drill the bolters and nix the mold line on the foot! Anyway guys thanks for stopping by. I know this was a bit of a mega-post. Anyway I hope you enjoy and I'll talk to you all soon!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1030 on: January 18, 2017, 01:36:27 AM »
Nice, lotsa good stuff there, I really like the pull my finger seer. I had one many many moons ago. Such a slaughterfest between ya'll, hard won victory for sure. They look great on the table, I need to get some games in, soon I hope.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1031 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »
Love the Rogue Trader farseer! He is my favourite eldar sculpt period. I'm really enjoying your WIP pics. It helps fellow hobbyists like myself see your technique in action. I'd love a to hear about the actual colour palette you are using as well and how you are layering. It really helps expand my own repertoire and helps me brainstorm new ideas.

That berserker is really classic. Very well executed. I have to be honest though, I was really expecting something a little more unique. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful paint job and you tweaked the pose enough and adjusted the base to make him seem less awkward. I was just expecting a little more unique kitbash or varient paint scheme. Nevertheless, its a beautiful mini. Please don't be discouraged by the comment. I can't envision the rest of the army yet and this one mini is such a small piece to the overall puzzle. I'm sure you have a grand plan that blends your unique style with the classic GW theme. Keep up the awesome work!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:05:51 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1032 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »
Great hard-fought game :) interesting to hear that 1250 seems to be a sweet-spot for scale. Also, congrats to your wounded Autarch for surviving all the fire, and then going on to wipe an engine-seer and a command squad!

I like the Berserker too. Has a very clean classic look to it. A restraint of design which I've found to be lacking somewhat from the newer Chaos kits.

Pose is much better too. Looks far less unnatural...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1033 on: January 18, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
Great battle!
Really good to see so much carnage on both sides and some beautiful pictures once again!
Really like the Bezerker, classic paint job so far. The pose is pretty good too, like many I think that some of the Bezerker poses are a bit ridiculous but that one looks natural
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1034 on: January 18, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
@Dread- Hey thanks man. It was a slaughter fest... also glad you like the Farseer too. If you get games in make sure you take some pics and give us a little bat-rep. Thanks again!

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks so much for your feedback. First off as for my palette (at least on the Farseer). The base colors are Khorne Red, Retributor Gold, Celestra Grey for the pouch and cords and Gorthor Brown for the sheath on the sword. Then a little Nuln Oil on the robes, Reikland Flesh on the gold. For the eyes its just black, Kantor Blue, Caledor blue for the highlight then white for bright glare. For the pouch I make a little wash with The Fang, then clean it up with Celestra Grey again to make it bright and white. It seems like a lot but its really very simple.

Second no worries on the Berserkers at all. I will certainly be kitbashing as I go along, but in all honesty with my 100% Kitbashed Eldar, an almost all FW Dark Angels army, I can't afford to kitbash a 3rd army. I will be doing minor conversions and kitbashing here and there throughout each unit, but I really want to just get this army up and running. Also once you see the list and some of the unique units I'm gonna run I think you'll feel its quite unique. There is one vehicle in particular I'm going to get which'll really be the centerpiece of the army and an option I've never seen any Chaos players ever run which'll be very unique (and expensive). Hopefully you'll get more excited as the army progresses and see them as awhole. No worries at all though I truly appreciate the honest feedback. Its good to because I do want to push myself and make all my armies shine  ;D ;D ;D

@Ynneadwraith- Hey bud thanks man. Glad you enjoyed the bat-rep. It was a fun bust em' up game. I can't wait for my bro to optimize his list a bit more, because he's a very good player but its hard going up against Eldar all the time. Anyway thanks. Glad you feel the pose is improved on the Berserker. Its not easy! But I'm gonna make these guys work. I actually like this kit despite being dated and the FW upgrade kit really doesnt do much for them either. What they need is a good set of running legs for Marines but they are really hard to get ahold of. Only the Assault Marines have them and they are impossible to get online. I'd rather be a bit more thrifty and eventually when new Berserkers come out I'll get them and have even more! Anyway thanks man :)

@Everybody- Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Especially critical feedback, dont be shy! Anyway nearing completion on my first Berserker... check him out with the bolter guys... I think it looks cool! Anyway thanks for stopping by guys I appreciate it!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1035 on: January 18, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
That was a close run game.  I actually thought that you were in quite a lot of trouble at one point.  Your brother's list may lack anti-tank, but your infantry took a pounding, and having faced Imperial Guard with a lot of anti-infantry fire power in the past, I know how quickly it can melt Eldar units.

In the end though, it was the sheer number of units you had which could deal heavy damage quickly which proved telling.  Your losses didn't stop you from wiping out his units and blowing up key vehicles.  Well played :).

The Farseer continues to look very promising, and the cinematic photo of the Autarch facing down the Engine Seer was very well taken.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1036 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:43 PM »
Thanks so much Irisado. It was a really fun game... and boy I tell you 1250 pts is such a fun breezy way to enjoy the game. If you ever decide to dip your toe back in I think this the points level you'd enjoy. My friend Brian from Splintermind and all his gamer buds (all hobby masters far beyond my abilities) play at this level and they love it.

Yeah I felt like I was in trouble around turn 3. I did my big 2nd turn hammer blow, but after that the IG struck back just as hard. My Beta Strike  hits like a freight train. Getting those 2 turns to get a feel for where everything is and how I want to respond to it is just such an advantage. However if its doesnt break the enemies back, I can be in trouble. The key is the Wave Serpents really. They kept my command squad alive and that was the key to my whole game. They are so under estimated even with the loss of the 6th ed Holofields. They can tank just so damn much... even with ignore cover, the 7th ed holofields really help out, but we'll see how they do against some of the nasty combos my brother is bringing next time. It wont be easy!

Thanks for your comments on my Farseer. I really love this model and I'm trying to emulate the style of painting done on some other RT-era and 2nd ed minis I bought 2nd hand. I'm gonna post some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Anyway thanks Irisado I always appreciate your feedback.  ;D

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1037 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
I think the battle damage was the that missing final touch and really stepped that paint job to the next level.

I am completely on board with smaller games. The decision making in list building is so much more crucial at that level. You can't take all the power and you have to pick and choose between your better units. It's also the range where multi-purpose units shine over specialists.

Keep on bringing us those sweet updates. I'm especially looking forward to those chaos army surprises you're hinting at.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1038 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:31 AM »
The pic of the Berserker next to his compatriots really sets it off nicely :) the bigger base size and added elevation really helps to make him look properly intimidating.

Seconded about the battle damage too. He was really well painted to begin with but the battle damage just takes it to the next level :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1039 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »
@Dog of War- Hey thanks DoW. Really glad you like him. I know a lone Berserker isn't exactly the most thrilling model, but all the same I'm glad this latest layer of detail has brought him a bit more to life for you. Still some more work to go... some squad markings, battle honors things of that nature. Saw some cool icongraphy on the web the other day and I'm definitely gonna incorporate it.

Also yes! 1250 games are SOOOO fun. You can take more niche units and feel like they still have a place... Perfect example of taking all rounder units was taking that Warlock... granted getting Destructor on him was HUGE! But I wanted another dude with a Witchblade and I was hoping to get Destructor just in case my Command Unit got in trouble. I wanted a Warlock capable of going in there and bailing them out with some flamer weaponry which I luckily got. Plus Conceal/Reveal would be huge on my bikes if I could take out the Company Command squad issuing orders. Anyway thanks DoW and yes I'm sure you'll be quite surprised when you see this special unit I'm getting for my World Eaters. I swear Chaos Players don't even know this thing exists!

@Ynneadwraith- Thank man. Yeah I was so excited to finally get the Blood&Bones World Eaters on the board. Me and my brother thought a sort of split scheme for the army would look really sharp and I really like it so far. Glad you like the battle-damage too. Its been really fun and a nice departure from my painting style on my Eldar. Anyway thanks man!