News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k: Storm Bolters Galore~  (Read 2826 times)

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
2k: Storm Bolters Galore~
« on: October 1, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »
2000 pts
HQ
   OX Inquisitor: Beamer, ML 1, 3 Skulls - 109 pts
   OX Inquisitor: Beamer, ML 1, 3 Skulls - 109 pts
Troops
   Strike Squad: 10 Knights, 2 Psycannons, Psybolts - 240 pts
Elites
   Henchmen: 7 Acos (Sbolter), 3 Servitor (Pcannon), 2 Jokaero - 179 pts
   Henchmen: 7 Acos (Sbolter), 3 Servitor (Pcannon), 2 Jokaero - 179 pts
   Techmarine: Beamer - 110 pts
   Techmarine: Beamer - 110 pts

Some fun stuff going on here. Two henchmen squad do some shooting early game and encourage the OPFOR to close to mid-range. If they do so, the strike squads that do come in drop in the rear and hit up the rear elements. If not, then they deep strike in mid-field and start the slugfest.

Against certain opponents (daemons, tyranids, etc), I deploy fully and maybe even combat squad, then shoot to my heart's content until everything is dead. Fun.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline Prophecy

Re: 2k: Storm Bolters Galore~
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
I like the concept but I think it could use some more dedicated beat down. I would sub one of the inquisitors and techmarines for upgrading to coteaz and taking 2 of the strike squads and making them purifiers. You can then still have all the troops you wanted with some fearless action. You could then gain 4 more psycannons and maybe a aegis line. That way your henchmen can have cover no matter what.

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
Are you going to use Divination Powers on your Inquisitors?  They could be very powerful firebases then when you consider the Plasma Cannon servitors and Jokaeros.  An Aegis Defense Line I feel would greatly benefit your cause, as would a Vindicare Temple Assassin.  You should strongly consider dropping both the Beamer Techmarines, unless they are joining the IQ Henchmen Squads in which case I can see the merit of their use.  I'm interested in how you plan to Convert the Conversion Beamers on so many guys, since a model doesn't exist for it currently.

When I did my Master of the Forge with a Beamer, I used an upside down metal Gauss Blaster from a Necron Immortal set and it seemed to be convincing enough.

I almost feel like some of your strike squads should have Rhinos, considering that your army is fairly static and vulnerable to torrent weapons, but I don't have a lot of experience with Grey Knights so its possible with so many bodies operating effectively at mid-range that that doesn't prove to be an issue.

The point about switching some out for Purifers is a good one... Fearless, some CC potential, and more Psicannons are nothing to frown about.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2012, 03:06:13 AM »
 He could order a couple of these...

Conversion Beamer Weapon and Harness Kit

...and copy them with instamold and miliput. Hell, if CHS doesn't mind infringing on other's IP I don't see why the same can't be applied to their products lol.

I like the list. Thats a possible 128 SB shots! A hundred of those at S5. That's enough dakka to impress even an ork. I say run it as is and see how it works for a few games. If anything, I'd drop a TM foran ADL +QG. This should provide good cover for your fire base and some extra shots on daemons or fliers.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

• The Flesh is Weak!
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2012, 05:20:16 AM »
The techmarines have the all important job of bolstering ruins, which is paramount to ensuring the survivability of the henchmen squads for long enough to inflict serious damage. One might go, but I must have at least one for this kind of plan to work. Placement isn't much of an issue when the weapons I'm using have the impressive range that they do IMO, so I don't particularily need to pay points for defenses, especially when it detracts from my overall firepower.

Both Inquisitors will roll on Divination, and unless it's Perfect Timing (or maybe Scrier's Gaze if I feel that I need the near guaranteed alpha strike), I'm going with Prescience to enhance the shooting of the Henchmen Squads.

I think Rhinos are a waste of points on Strike Squads, as they have all the mobility they need with Deep Strike. Purifiers have a much more dire need of Rhinos, as they lack this ability. Furthermore, Rhinos are just easy targets for First Blood anyway, and I've seen enough games swayed by First Blood to give it up that easily.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »
The techmarines have the all important job of bolstering ruins, which is paramount to ensuring the survivability of the henchmen squads for long enough to inflict serious damage.

You just said unless someone hands me a ruin in my deployment zone I'm screwed. I think you have already decided you are getting amazing terrain and all the bonuses for it in the world. I'm sorry to tell you but I really don't think that is going to happen unless your opponent is a very generous sort. You need to rethink how the game could go rather than what you want to "absolutely" happen. AKA pay the 50 pts for a 4+ and guarantee that paramount survivability that you need so badly at the very least.

• The Flesh is Weak!
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2012, 12:52:52 AM »
It's not my decision, it is the nature of the venue I frequent. Additionally, Techmarines are not limited to bolstering ruins alone. I can fortify any area terrain I feel like, and area terrain is in very plentiful supply no matter where you go. Besides, it's not up to my opponent whether or not I get terrain in my deployment zone. It's a reality of the game that such pieces of scenery will be present for me to take advantage of. Unlike you, apparently, I don't play on the moon, and I don't feel like paying for something that I get in abundance anyway.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
The nature of the venue you play at is "we are generous indeed." I'm well aware with this edition you can bolster any terrain you wish but you have not taken into account firing lanes and other pieces that the opponent will be given as well. I'm sorry you don't like tactical advice. I will be sure to avoid giving help to you in the future. I made the exact same list a month ago with around a 200 pt difference and realized that it didn't have enough punch. I found that 10 terminators, a vindicare, 2 squads of purifiers, and an aegis helped balance the flaws.

But given what you just said everyone has plentiful terrain and your list will require you to dig them out especially if they also are buying terrain. A list where everyone has 1 attack just isn't going to do that.

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
 You might want to read the FAQ on techmarines. Bolstering is again ruins only.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
Did they just change it again?

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
 Yeah almost a month ago, Sept. 7th iirc.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
They really just don't want people having fun with techmarines do they?

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
 It makes sense to me. With a ruin you have something to work with(rubble, girders, walls), it would be next to impossible to reinforce some trees, hills, or tall grass.

• The Flesh is Weak!
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
Hmm, that changes things significantly. Might have to do some adjusting to compensate for that. Just as good, I suppose, as this list would require additional acquisitions to field. Gonna have to go with my previous incarnation instead.