News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aetheism = Hell?  (Read 60413 times)

Offline Interrogator_Chaplain

• Just say you won't repent, I dare you.
Aetheism = Hell?
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:52:18 PM »
I got to thinking that as I am an aetheist and this one really religious guy at school says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in God. But I also don't believe in hell or heaven or the Devil. I mean how can I go to a place I don't believe in? Once my grade 9 religion teacher said that aetheists don't go to hell, because only those who believe heaven exsists but choose to worship the Devil. Your thoughts?

Offline DanBZ

• Innocentia Probat Nihil
Re: Aetheism = Hell?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:56:06 PM »
The fact that Christians believe in heaven and hell does NOT make it true.  It might be, but it also might not be.  Don't fall for it.
Actual quotes from George W. Bush:
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."
"More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
"It's hard to put food on your family."

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:56:46 PM »
Where do you believe you will go?  That's all that really matters.
By the more fundamental Christian religions, not believing in God places you in one of 2 Circles of Hell, depending on if you lived your life well or not.
Despite what anyone says, there is no way to know what happens after we die.  Being agnostic myself, I choose not to worry about it; it's out of my control.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:26:16 PM »
I'd rather go to Hell. It's not as bad as people make out. There are good promotional prospects there if you got the right attitude. Just put up with a few centuries of torture and take it like a man, get the attention of one of the important Demons and he might just start you off on the promotion ladder. It'll be hard grunt work at first, like shovelling dog-turds into the mouths of the Gluttons, or putting sandpaper in condoms for the Adulterer section, but show good effort and initiative and you'll prosper. Bam - before you know it you'll own a condo with a lovely view over the great fiery lake, where you can chill out by the sulphur beaches in a demon-bile jacuzzi with endless tequila shots and a gaggle of giggling Succubi. Oh yeah baby, love is infernal.

The Bible and clergy will tell you it ain't so, but don't listen to them. What do they know, eh? Their view of paradise is just sprouting wings and sitting on clouds. Oh wow. How can I contain my exitement. ::) Please, all the players go to Hell, and that's a fact - it's just one big party down there. Painful though, of course. Painful, but fun!

I got to thinking that as I am an aetheist and this one really religious guy at school says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in God.

Just tell him you look forwards to it. Tell him you're exited at the prospect of meeting Gandhi in person.

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 07:42:25 PM »
ughh i hate it when christians get preachy... which is most of the time.
If we aren't interested in god, dont bug us!
Seriously though... i believe that if u believe in god, or believe that satan has power over you, then u just might go to hell, something has power over you if u let it...ne way, jesus said in the dead sea scrolls that there's no such thing as hell... but the first christian emperor decided to leave out this important fact.
If jesus is sayin one thing... and god is saying another, mebe i dont wanna go to heaven - too much arguing between the 2 of them.

im too cool for heaven

faithless

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:00:33 PM »
Most of the Orthodox buddhists don't believe in God. In fact the buddha denounced God. Yet these guys are among the nicest people you will ever meet. Don't think they are going to get eternal damnation. Somehow i don't think Pat Robertson a devout christian and well known muppet is going to deserve a place over people like Gandhi

For sale

House no. 668
Hell.

How would you like to be the neighbour of the beast...

Put it this way if you went to hell, you could always sue heaven... Where are they going to get a lawyer from...

Seriously though i never understood this. If satan was banished why does he torture those who are'nt accepted into heaven? Surely making an invasion force seems a bit more sensible...

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:06:16 PM »
Seriously though i never understood this. If satan was banished why does he torture those who are'nt accepted into heaven? Surely making an invasion force seems a bit more sensible...

Satan is trapped by a sheet of ice, and the more he flaps his wings to escape, the colder it gets.  And he personally only tortures Judas Iscariot, Brutus and Cassius, and those three by chewing on them.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 08:41:39 PM »
this one really religious guy at school says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in God.

Tell him that he isn't going to heaven either because its just as pretend as the tooth fairy. And maybe explain that once he dies all that will happen is that his body will decompose until everything that was him is gone from the universe, like yesterday's chicken wings.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Federal Hero

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 09:15:12 PM »
I just don't understand why people even think that we go somewhere after we die? Why can't we accept the fact that we just....die. Our brains stop working therefore our senses cease and therefore reality no longer exsits. Everyhitng just goes black and then poof! Nothing. We don't go to heaven or hell we just die. What's so hard to understand. I just think that poeple are mentally unstable and for some reason "knowing" that they won't just cease to exist comforts them. They feell better knowing that they will live on forever because they feel that they havn't lived enough here on Earth. 
"Make Love, Not Babies"

Offline ColonelLindsay

• Praise be to the God-Emperor
    • The Battle for Thralanx
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »
simple question. what do you believe?
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/thralanx
"GW store managers aren't known to be reliable sources..." - Irandura
Hey, I'm finally a Full Member again!!!
"The only good use of pride is swallowing it." - mrspungebob
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 11:52:04 PM »
my frist belife: god is crap made up by people to control them

second belife: if there is a god and there is a devil how likey is a guy who rebled is likey to carry out its primary function of hell

third belife: i am attual chrisaned a cathilic not that i belive that amphetamine parrot. so i would get to get to puratory as i havent broke any majour sin except steal which i have repented for in that way. puratory is what i want to not exist no happyness no sadness the mid piont to no longer exsited

If YOU want to take part in the 40konline Tournament then just click on this banner

Offline October 19th

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 12:34:44 AM »
I got to thinking that as I am an aetheist and this one really religious guy at school says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in God. But I also don't believe in hell or heaven or the Devil. I mean how can I go to a place I don't believe in? Once my grade 9 religion teacher said that aetheists don't go to hell, because only those who believe heaven exsists but choose to worship the Devil. Your thoughts?

Reality exists seperately from your preception of it.  So long as you are confident that what you believe in is the truth, what he says does not matter.  So go ahead and let him argue that theres a heaven and hell, it makes no difference to anything; just dont let him shake your beliefs with his nonsense.

As for the second part, that really concerns christian theology, a subject of which I know very little about.  However, prehaps a good question to ask would be where thoes non-believers go after they die.  As your religion teacher claims the devil-worshipers are the only ones to go to hell, and the god followers are the only ones to go to heaven, where do the non-believers go?  If there is an afterlife, they would have to go somewhere; they couldnt just dissappear as though there were none.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 12:37:19 AM by October 19th »

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 02:33:33 AM »
If the whole Hell-as-advertised-in-Dante's-Inferno thing holds, I'd rather go to Limbo than to heaven. Any God who would construct that kind of hell is not the kind of God I would like to spend eternity with.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 03:55:40 AM »
I like Dante's inferno. If you read it you will see that there are several levels to hell, and as long as you don't do too many bad things, and your only fault is not believing in god, then even by the standards of the church you are only placed in the first level, which is like the economy-class of heaven, where you can sit with all the other nice non-believers (Plato and so on) and discuss philosophy and wind away the eternities until judgement day. I don't think that would be such a terrible thing. If you are a murderer, thief and adulterer, no matter if you believe in god or not, you are going to burn though, if you follow the teachings of the current christian faith.
Personally I am going to neither place. I am getting reincarnated. Again.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 07:57:26 AM »

You aren't going to hell, thats just a conversion/scare tactic.
- - -
I do think it is a little optimistic to think that your afterlife will be determined by your beliefs.

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 08:22:28 AM »
As I see it, there are three possible religous-based afterlife scenarios:

1. One religion is right. Those who believe in the wrong religion, or don't believe at all, are all screwed.

2. Every religion is right. We are all screwed, as even if you go to heaven in your religion, you go to hell in like 200 other religions.

3. I'm right ;D. As an atheist, I believe that no religion is right, and nobody goes to hell, so we're all safe.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 08:34:53 AM »
actually 2 and 3 is are the same in that respect. If the religion you subscribe to is cprrect, you are safe, no matter what other religions say.

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 08:48:08 AM »
What about Agnosticism? Where one would wait to see the end, and then decide? Would they go to their mind's eye of "hell."

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »
If we  believe that the belief of someone affects their eventual restingground than agnostisits and atheists would just "fade away" and disappear, as they have no image of heaven, at least not if they are straight-edge to their belief.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 09:46:06 AM »
If such a place exists, you will go to it whether you believe in it or not.  Logically speaking, if you jump off the roof you will fall to the ground whether you believe in gravity or not.  However, logically speaking, Hell is a motivational/political invention that only appeared in more recent centuries.  Also, take comfort that the Bible is impossible contradicted in several places, and that the most recent characterization of God in it (of many) is one of infinite compassion. 
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.