News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Brush Sizes  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
Brush Sizes
« on: January 8, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
What size brushes does everyone use?  I'm currently using a 0, 3/0, and 10/0 for detail work, but considering getting a 20/0 and a 2 or 3.  So I'm curious as to what sizes you lot all use, and if you use the brushes bigger than 0 on non-vehicles.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Brush Sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
Not all these zeroes are standardized but, I use 1, 0 and 5/0 (eyes and script only)

Offline Unholy Worm

« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »
On most models I use 0, 1 and sometimes 2. For vehicles it would be a lot bigger (don't know what number it is, but I think it's 6 or 7). Otherwise it depends on what surface I'm working at.
A wise man never fears, a man afraid does not thinck!

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »
On most models the standard brush I'd use would be the GW basecoat brush, the detail brush and the fine detail brush.  I also use a Series 7 00 for eyes.  If I were talking in the gauge terms of Series 7 I guess I'd also use a 2 and a 4 (I have a 2, but it's more expensive than I need for everyday purposes so I keep it for special occasions.)

At the end of the day the stated gauge of the brush isn't important, but the snap and fineness of the point as what create the main factors you should be looking at.  Often, if you can achieve the same point with a "larger" brush it's better because you can load with more paint; allowing longer and more strokes before you have to top up and reform the point.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.