News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Dragoons  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Chronicles of the Dragoons
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
Note: I've written a decent amount about warhammer fantasy (and got a character mentioned by GW in the Storm of Chaos campaign :D ), but this is my first attempt at writing for 40k.  Comments, tips, feedback all welcomed.  This story is chronicling the adventures of my space marine army I'm assembling.

Without further ado:

Chronicles of the Dragoons

Prologue

The first sensation that flooded through Octavian’s senses was the stink of ozone that still lingered in the air from the voracious rounds of melta fire that ended only minutes before.  He attempted to get his bearings, only to find his vision obscured by a thick red cloud of his own blood.  His hands frantically played over his head in search of the wound, and he quickly thanked the Emperor that it was only a gash over his eyebrow and nothing more serious.

Smearing the blood on the tile floor next to him, the guardsman looked around at what once was the entrance to the research bunker.  The gleaming walls were replaced with stumps of concrete that stood barely a foot off the ground – the rest was reduced to atoms in the assault. 

In the distance, he could hear alarm klaxons in portions of the compound that weren’t as devastated as where he was lying.  What was missing; however, was the sound of las guns discharging.  From what he could hear and see, all resistance had been eliminated while he was unconscious.

He turned to rollover on his back so he could sit up when he saw that the gash above his eyebrow was no longer significant.  Where his calf and foot had once been there was now simply a splatter of inards on the floor, and his left leg now stopped at a cauterized stump slightly below the knee.  “Plasma,” he groaned slightly as he propped himself up against a pile of rubble.  He knew that only a plasma shot would have superheated his leg and cauterized the arteries; any other source of his amputation and he probably would have bled to death.

The dullness of his senses told Octavian that pain killers were coursing through his body.  “There must have been a medic,” he thought.  But even that didn’t make sense – the attack was completely by surprise, and only local guards were in the facility.  There wasn’t even a hospital regiment for several kilometers.

Octavian realized that he needed to somehow establish contact with the rest of his unit, or his barracks, or just somewhere.  He braced his arms against the wall and began to push off, only to find his arms turn to jelly and provide no force whatsoever.  The drugs may suppress the pain he should be feeling, but they couldn’t do anything about the dehydration that plagued his body and rendered him weak.  Frustrated, the young soldier flopped down to his stomach and resorted to crawling to the blasted hallway to explore the next room.

As he dragged his body into the hallway, he was actually thankful that he had to crawl.  A thick cloud of smoke choked the hallway save for the couple feet just above the ground.  The smell of burnt wiring and electrical fires still radiated, and in the distance he could now hear that some fires still lingered.  Although he had walked through this compound for several months now, trying to navigate it from this new perspective was completely alien to him. 

Reaching what he thought was an equipment locker; Octavian outstretched his sweat-drenched arms to pry open the doors.  As his struggled to fight his own body’s fatigue, he felt a rush of air pass over his body.  Looking up quickly, he could see the outline of a massive, armored body pass over him and disappear into the smoke.  In the dark gray of his vision he could still make out the outline of the armored boots moving below the smoke line.

Octavian ceased his struggle to open the equipment room’s door and laid completely still.  Only a few meters down the hallway, the armored boots stopped moving.  In the distance, he could hear the clang of even more boots.  The difference; however, was that these boots were approaching his position, not moving away. 

Through the eerie bowels of the destroyed compound came the first voice Octavian had heard in quite some time.  He was shocked to find that the attackers spoke in Gothic.  “The Thunderhawk is inbound, and we have the item.”

Thunderhawk.  The name of the craft sounded familiar, but that added even to more to the confusion of the situation.  Why were the attackers speaking Gothic and using Imperial craft?  Andonis IV was a minor world in the Imperium, primarily known for its agriculture, and there wasn’t anything on this world in terms of military beyond the requisite planetary defense force. 

Another mechanical voice came through, although slightly different from the first.  “Is the situation here satisfactory?”

The first voice replied,  “Affirmative, let’s leave this – “ his voice cut off immediately.  Octavian was curious as to why he stopped short, when a set of armored boots started to approach where Octavian was laying.  Straight towards his position.  As the boots neared, a pair of piercing blue electronic eyes came through the haze of the thick smoke and looked down directly at Octavians battered body.  The next thing he knew, his body was being lifted through the air by a firm grip on his chest. 

Battered and confused, Octavian now found himself choking on the smoke that he had avoided by crawling through the hallway.  Starting right in front of him was what he presumed was the source of one of the mechanical voices.  “I thought you said the situation was satisfactory,” it said.

Another set of blue eyes emerged through the smoke and came within inches of Octavian’s face.  He could hear quiet breathing through the helmet as it scanned over the guardsmen’s ragged form.  “He was hit by plasma fire, so I had Apothecary Sebastian treat him.”  There was a pause that felt like eternity.  “The drugs should not have permitted him to wake so soon.”

The other eyes turned quickly to face this revelation, “We’re not here to nurse the sick, and your error may have compromised this mission.”

Shaking his head, the figure who apparently saved Octavian’s life disagreed. “These are loyal sons of Emperor, just as we are.  You know as much as I that one of our priorities is to minimize casualties.”  A well of hope sprang up.  Perhaps he wouldn’t die in this armored soldier’s hand.  The hope; however, proved fleeting.  “But, he is unfortunately awake.  Kill him, brother.”

Octavian’s eyes grew wide in fear.  Not even the chemical suppressing drugs could stop the flow of adrenaline from coursing through his body.  “Spare me!  What monster would claim himself loyal to the Emperor but kill a member of his guard?”

With that question, the firm, power armored grip around his chest was released and Octavian hit the floor with a resounding crunch of bone.  He opened his mouth to shout out his plea once more, but the force of the fall knocked the wind out of him.  As he gasped to take air in, the business end of a bolter shot through the smoke and stopped inches above Octavian’s head.  Far above his body, he could see the two pairs of blue eyes still staring at him.  “I am Omegon,” they said in unison. 

When planetary forces arrived on the scene of the ruined research facility, Octavian was simply one of the numerous men killed by an explosion of unknown origin.  The facility was closed and eventually demolished, the subject of the explosion never resolved.

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Chronicles of the Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »
++Chapter 1++

++Location: Low Orbit, Espandor++
++Time: Immediately following the Prologue++

The two Thunderhawks burst through the atmosphere into lower orbit over the planet Espandor and shot towards a bright speck of light in the distance.  With a trail of flame behind them, the Thunderhawks used their thrusters to bank and swerve a small group of fighters that were closing in on their position.

Inside the lead of the two ships, the marines were calm despite being pursued by a more numerous, nimble opponent.  One of the marines, wearing the same brown and tan power armor as the rest, walked into the cockpit and leaned down over the controls.  “The Dominion of Men reports that several system monitors are rounding the planet and will be in firing range of our vessels in a few minutes.”

The pilot turned to the marine sitting next to him, the dim glow of his helmet’s light blue eyes radiating off the power armor, “Brother Cassius, how long until we reach the Dominion?”

Cassius shook his head as he read over his display screen, “The Imperial ships will be on us before we can dock.  Execute our contingent plan and notify the other transport.”

Tiberius ran down the metal corridor to the bridge of the Minotaur, attempting to not look as winded as he actually felt.  Although he was in solid physical condition, his excitement had gotten the better of him and had forgot to breath for a good portion of the run from his quarters to the bridge.  “I’ve finally got them,” he said aloud to himself.

The doors to the bridge opened up, and Tiberius stepped through.  Immediately, two guards pointed their lasguns at him and the Officer of the Deck turned to the arrival and bellowed, “Identify yourself!” as he walked towards the entrance.

Saving face no longer mattered to him, and the young Tiberius grabbed his knees with his hands and sucked in several ragged breaths of oxygen.  By the time he looked up, the grizzled and slightly overweight Officer of the Deck was looming right in front of him.  Gaining his composure, Tiberius stood up and displayed the object that identified his position in the Imperium.  “In the name of the Emperor of Mankind, I need control of this vessel.”

The Officer stepped back for a second, hesitant.  “I am not aware of any Inquisitor on board this ship.”  Tiberius took note as the veteran naval officer’s fingers reached for the clasp on his laspistol’s holster. 

Laughing in reply, partially to calm his own nerves but also to demonstrate to the bridge crew he was not intimidated, Tiberius brushed past the Officer of the Deck and towards the Captain.  “And it is not an issue an officer of your standing should concern yourself with.  Did you really think, with your ship assigned to defend a cardinal world and not have an inquisitorial presence on your vessel?” 

He gestured to the Captain with his symbol of Office.  “Captain Davidson.  You are man with a polished record and a proven loyalty to the Imperium of Man.  It would be a travesty if you did not demonstrate that now and acknowledge my standing.”

Davidson’s gaze pierced through Tiberius’ soul.  The man backed away slowly and gestured curtly to the now vacant chair that he had been sitting in.  Tiberius told no lie in saying Davidson was a loyal son of the Imperium, but certainly chose to omit that he was also prideful of his captaincy.

“The Emperor thanks you for this,” he said to the Captain before sitting in the command chair and acknowledging the bridge crew.  “Now, to all of you.  There is vessel in orbit that is being operated by traitors, declared excommunicate long ago.  Make way at best speed to the other side of the planet and intercept the vessel.  It is only a light cruiser, nothing that could even threaten this ship.  Communications officer, patch in with planetary control and they will relay you the specific coordinates.”

As the bridge became abuzz with activity, Tiberius smiled and turned to Davidson in hopes of repairing the wound he had caused by taking command, “We have been pursuing these Dragoons for quite some time.  If we eliminate them through the service of your vessel, your name will be championed just as much as mine.”

Brother Sergeant Ullor strode across the bridge to the command chair.  He wore no power armor, instead wearing a naval tunic marines often don while commanding vessels in the chapter’s fleet.  “Brother Captain, the Thunderhawks are being harassed by the fighters.  I don’t think we can wait for the Minotaur to approach their engagement range.”

Unlike Ullor, Captain Myr was in full plate.  He had been planning on traveling to the surface to verify the authenticity of the relics himself, but their discovery by the planet’s sensor grid required him to stay back at the bridge.  Myr ran his right hand through his short, brown hair while he scrolled through sensor readings with his left.   Frustrated with the situation, he attempted to keep as calm of an outward appearance as possible.  With all the planning, the sensors should not have been tripped in the first place.  Despite that, their contingency plans should’ve given the Thunderhawks far more time to safely return to the Dominion of Men than what they currently had.  Somehow, their execution was lax on this critical operation.

Myr turned away from the streams of data he was examining and looked back at Ullor, his pale green eyes continuing to give off a calm demeanor.  “Are we sure that he is on board the Minotaur?”

From behind the two marines came the tiny voice of a human officer one of the endless posts on the bridge, “Sources on board the cruiser confirm that Tiberius is on ship and has in fact used the Inquisitorial Remit to assume command.”

Eyebrow raised in curiosity, Captain Myr allowed a grin to break through his stern demeanor.  Still looking at Sergeant Ullor, he shouted orders to the bridge.  “Helmsman, adjust course to draw us closer to the Minotaur.  Feint that we are attempting to break orbit and leave.  I want us in range of their guns in two minutes.”

Continuing to smile, Myr looked forward at the black void of space and the planet that was swinging out of his view to the starboard.  “Why waste the ammunition of our weapons when Tiberius’ impetuousness is far more damaging?”

“Inquisitor!  The vessel is changing course, and attempting to break orbit.  They are heading this way,” an eager helmsman squealed from his station.

Tiberius stood up from the command chair and leaned forward towards the viewport in a subconscious attempt to be even closer to his prey.  “Adjust course, prepare to open fire on the two transports and the cruiser as soon as we are in range.”

Captain Davidson, who had been standing next to the seated inquisitor stroking his beard in thought, stopped at that command and gently approached Tiberius.  “Inquisitor, I am certain our planetary fighters would be caught in your fire arc.”

The Captain’s statement was met with a scowl and flippant dismissal of the hand, “Have the fighters break off, they’re not needed when your batteries finish off the vessels.”  Davidson nodded and turned to the necessary officers to relay those orders.  Tiberius sank into the cushioning of the chair and smiled, “I want to see a full spread of torpedoes launched as soon as we have a firing solution.”

He closed his eyes and allowed his mind to imagine the successes that would await him.  Decades of criticism and suspicion for his pursuit of the mythical dragoons would be finally be vindicated and he would receive the recognition that he would rightfully deserve.  The few seconds of blissful day dreaming came to a crashing halt when he overheard frantic chatter from the communications personnel.

“We’re getting frantic vox chatter from the fighters,” one said.  Another voice rang out over the din, “Fighters say they’re under attack!  Confirmed that it is not the Thunderhawks!  Garbled reports that its other fighters!”  Tiberius straightened back up and listened in more closely.  A cold knot began to form in his stomach as suspicion and doubt grew inside of him. 

“Weapons alert!”

Tiberius spun his head to reply when the alarm klaxons began wailing on the bridge.  “Weapons alert,” the officer shouted again.  “I’ve got multiple missiles incoming on our position.”

The Inquisitor was baffled, and in his moment of pause Davidson sought to reassert his authority over the ship.  “Source?!” the Captain demanded.

“It’s the starhawk bombers.  Some of them have broken off and are on an in bound vector.  They’ve already launched one volley of plasma bombs!”

Tiberius looked at the readout and saw it was no lie – a line of flashing red blips grew closer and closer to the icon representation of the Minotaur.  He scrambled over several read outs and tried to come with an adjustment.  The bombs were not as big of a concern as why some of the planetary vessels turned heretic.  Furious, he screamed towards the communications officers, “Order the fighters still loyal to the Imperium to intercept those plasma bombs.  Shunt more power to shields and destroy that ****ing cruiser!”

A sensor officer who was seated next to where the angry Inquistor had been standing tepidly tried to gain the attention of Tiberius.  “We’ve lost contact with the cruiser, sir.”

Every single person on that bridge could see the veins bulging out of Tiberius’ neck and head.  Taking a deep breath, he tried to control his emotions.  “What do you mean we’ve lost contact?”

“It is off sensors.  One minute it was there, the other it wasn’t.  Not a jump to the warp, not anything I’ve ever seen before.  Just there one minute, gone the next.”

Spinning around and looking back toward the command chair, Tiberius drew his bolt pistol and charged towards Davidson.  “Captain, I suggest you motivate your men to determine the location of that cruiser, or I will replace you with someone who will.”

“Fighters have engaged each other, Brother Captain.”

Myr grunted an affirmation and looked at the sensor readings he had patched into his command chair.  “As soon as the Thunderhawks make their emergency landing in the launch bay, have the bombers launch their plasma bombs at the Minotaur.  I want the events matched down to the nano second, officer.”

Far below in the ship, he knew that the two Thunderhawks would be entering the landing bay at about three hundred kilometers an hour.  The emergency measures would send the landing craft to a halt, but not without egregious damage to the ships.  They might not be repairable, but escaping this situation was a little more pressing.

“Plasma bombs are launched. Thunderhawks are in, and launch bay doors secure.”

Standing up, Myr stepped down from the elevated position of the command chair and walked to the railing and braced as he peered out into the depths of space.  “Engage the holo fields, Mister Barton and let us escape under the veil of shadow.”

The lights in the bridge dimmed and dim blue lights activated around the monstrous chamber as the ship began its silent climb out of orbit.  Ullor walked up to the railing and stood next to his Captain.  “We should thank our friends for that gift the next time we run into them.”

Myr smiled and nodded silently as he imagined the frustration and anger Tiberius was feeling on the bridge of the Minotaur.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
Hey Phytrion, nice story! I couldn't find any grammatical errors and its got an intersting plot too.

Only thing I was confused on was if your chapter is renegade but still claim loyalty to the Emperor or are they in full rebellion, I couldn't really tell.

Other than that, its a great start and I hope to see more from you!

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
@FireMahLazer: Thanks :)  As far as the chapter's loyalties, my goal is to keep that rather ambiguous for the first chapter or two, while putting hints in there.  The last line in the prologue, for example, is a big hint.  If; however, you feel it is too ambiguous and just confusing let me know because that is obviously not my goal.

Chapter One continues

Far deeper in the ship, servitors and crewmembers were containing fires and secondary explosions from the abrupt landing of the Thunderhawks.  Emergency doors had initially closed to avoid further decompression, but they were now being pried back open by marines as the attempted to reach the landing bay to assist their brothers inside the Thunderhawks.

Apothecary Sebastian stood impatiently as others in front of him forced open the last door that would bar them from arriving in the landing bay.  “What information do we have from the other side of the door way?”

One of the marines working on the blast door turned to face him.  Although no one could see it through the battle plate, the deep breaths that emanated through the helmet of the marine made it clear they were struggling to get past the door.  “Garbled communications indicate extreme damage to one of the ‘hawks.  Reports indicate several brothers are in need of immediate assistance.”

From behind the small band of astartes, a booming mechanical voice erupted and filled the hall, “Then perhaps I can be of assistance.”

Before Sebastian could turn to see who the new arrival was, a pair of mechanical servo arms shot towards the emergency door.  With a swift jab they grabbed at either side of the gap and with little apparent difficulty parted the entrance and allowed the marines in.  With a curt nod the apothecary thanked the Techmarine for his assistance. 

“Now,” the student of the Mechanicum said, “You tend to the wounded.  I have precious cargo to see to.”

Tiberius was so angry he was shaking.  He could barely keep the firm grip on his bolt pistol that he was pointing at the ship’s captain.  His gaze was fixated on Captain Davidson, his tide of rage giving no appearance of subsiding.  “Captain, I suggest you find that ship, and find it now.”

With the exception of the mechanical hum the stations produced, the bridge was completely silent.  All eyes were on the altercation between the inquisitor and the captain.  And it was in this silence that the bridge doors opened once again and a new presence filled the room.  “Noble inquisitor, you would be hard pressed to justify your current threat on Captain Davidson’s life.”  The voice was mechanical and boxy, coming from underneath the red hood of the Techpriest.  The bio-mechanical mandibles on its face twittered with excitement as he weighed in on the stand off.  “It is nearly impossible for someone to counter a xenos holo field unless they are trained and prepared to face it.”

The bolt pistol remained pointed at Davidson, but now Tiberius’ gaze of anger focused on the Techpriest.  “That ship was Imperial in origin, and you mean to tell me it had xenos filth technology at its disposal?”

A servo arm emerged from the red robes and made a calming gesture at the Inquisitor, “Did you really think that the Inquisitors were the only one investigating these rogue marines?  They have plagued the Mechanicum for quite some time as well. Their guise of false allegiance to the Imperium has allowed them to acquire precious resources from our forge worlds on numerous occasions.  We have sought to end their pilfering for quite some time.”

It seemed like an eternity to those in the bridge, but after just a few seconds Tiberius lowered his bolt pistol as the rage drained from his face.  “I’m listening,” he said, with curiosity.

The Techpriest stepped towards the Inquisitor and Captain Davidson, again gesturing with his servo arms as any other person would with their hands.  “I think you will find, gentlemen, that you will be able to detect the discharge trail of your mystery vessel.  That will give you some idea of what lane of travel they chose to navigate in the warp.  If this is truly quarry you intend to catch, that would be my first recommended step.”

Tiberius looked over at the Captain and affirmed the Techpriest’s plan.  “Davidson, have your crew begin scanning for the energy discharge of their ship and track to what point they entered the warp.  I will be conversing with our friend here,” he paused for a moment and looked over at the mostly mechanical servant of the Machine God.  “What is your name Techpriest?”

“Lagos Arkimades my dear Inquistor.  And I have a feeling you will not forget the day that we crossed paths.”

The techmarine Tybalt eyed the damaged Thunderhawks as marines and servitors alike tore them apart to tend to the wounded and retrieve cargo.  He watched through his bionic implants as apothecaries removed the wounded and dead from the crashed transports.  He turned to the servitor standing next to him, “Have we found them?”

Chirping out a binary affirmative, the servitor nodded and walked into the carved out hole in the side of the nearest Thunderhawk.  Tybalt smiled inside his helmet as he anticipated finally coming into possession of the artifacts.  For thousands of years, the chapter had been searching for these two small objects.  He stared down at the inscription carved into the forearm plate of his power armor.  It was an oath so sacred, one that would take so long to complete, that no scroll could do it justice.

He rotated his forearm to expose a newly polished portion of his armor.  It was there that he had begun to note the failure to complete that sacred oath, when word came that the location of the relics had been given Exterminatus.  When news came that the relics were moved off world before the planet’s death, Tybalt replaced that piece of armor to discard his words of failure.  It seemed that success was now just beyond the outer hull of the Thunderhawk.
From inside the wrecked craft several servitors clambered out, two of them carrying book sized gold plated objects.  Without hesitation, Tybalt shot his servo arms forward to grab them with delicate precision, and brought them in close to look at them.  With his free arms, he removed his helmet to see them with his own eyes.

“We have them,” he said calmly.  With those three words, it seemed as if all activity in the launch bay ceased.  Whether Tybalt realized it or not, all Astartes eyes were now on him.

A few curious human crewmembers slowly moved towards the techmarine and the relics he was holding.  Undisturbed by their presence, Tybalt eyed the smaller of the two objects and ran his hand over the exterior of the device.  His fingers stopped at a particular juncture and he applied just the slightest pressure at that point on the device.  With a slight hum the device came to life.

The relic appeared to be a holoprojector, on the top surface of the relic now stood a brightly glowing image of a massive construct of machinery.  Sergeant Ullor, who had made a frantic trip down the many decks to inspect the recovery operation, now approached Tybalt with a feeling of raw curiosity.  “Brother Tyblat, is that we have been searching for?”

Nodding and grinning in thrilled affirmation, Tybalt was happy to answer Ullor’s question.  “It is indeed Brother Sergeant.  These are the objects we have sought.”

A human laborer stepped forward in curiosity, “What is that an image of?”

Tybalt fought the urge to spit on the ignorant man.  “That, menial, is an image of the Golden Throne of the Emperor.”

Shaking from the Astartes’ rebuke, the human pressed on with one more question, “Then what is the other thing?”

Grinning, Tybalt turned to Ullor, who also sported a rather large smile.  “That, menial, contains the construction designs for the Golden Throne.”

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
++Chapter 2++
++Location: Outer edge of Espandor system++

It was odd to find a meeting on a navy vessel not headed by the Captain of the ship.  It was exceedingly bizarre to see one headed by an Inquisitor and a Lagos of the Mechanicum.  Arkimades’ implanted mandibles chattered with excitement as he listened to one of the junior officers present his report at the far end of the table. 

The officer was a baby faced recent addition to the crew, and often the butt of many jokes about his age and appearance.  He was somewhat gleeful that he was the one to trace the route of the rogue vessel, because he hoped it would provide him with a little more credibility and respect on board the Minotaur.  “We’ve confirmed their path to the system’s edge.  The position that their ship presumably entered the warp is problematic.  After consulting with the Navigators, we’ve concluded they are heading away from inhabited space.  Our best guess is the Thandros system.”

The Lagos paused for a moment, and the only stirring in the room were the mechanical implants under his robe.  “Thandros was made barren by the Tyranids.  It would be an ideal location to operate discretely.”

Captain Davidson, who was rather angered by having to sit in a chair he normally relegated to subordinate officers, leaned forward with a scowl on his face.  “Or a good place to meet another ship.”

“Or ships,” Arkimades stated.  “Regardless, given the history of these marines I would say we are an insufficient force to pursue at this time.”

Tiberius waved his hand dismissively, “That is not an issue.  Two other cruisers and several escorts have been put under my authority and are meeting up with our current position.  We will be prepared to take on a large threat if that is what we end up facing.”

Snorting in disbelief, Davidson sat back in his chair with arms crossed.  “You’ve been with me the whole time, Inquisitor.  How could you have possible rounded up those ships?”

Smiling widely, Tiberius turned to look at the Captain.  “You should not doubt the many tools an Inquisitor has.  The ships will be arriving within two hours.  I suggest you prepare the ship to enter the Immaterium.”

As the Captain and his officers filed out of the room, Tiberius gestured to the guards outside the room, “Send him in.”

A moan entered through the door, and shortly thereafter came the source: a ragged priest in a mud stained robe of the Ecclesiarchy stumbled through the door and fell onto the floor.  He was followed quickly by two naval guards, their las guns drawn.  They didn’t get far into the room before Tiberius raised his hand to stop them.  “You gentlemen won’t be necessary, I can have a conversation without your assistance.”

They both nodded curtly and stepped out of the room.  As the door shut behind them, the emaciated priest crawled his way up into a seat.  “I will not tell you Inquisitor.”

Pacing slowly towards the man, Tiberius was not amused.  “Ezekial, you a foolish old man.  We are attempting to hunt down marines who have been declared excommunicate by our beloved Imperium.  They have eluded us for centuries.  Now all of the sudden, they appear on this planet, and they steal the only two relics that survive the annihilation of the planet Neva through the Holy Exterminatus.  You mean to tell me you will defy the will of an Emperor’s servant and aid these heretics?”

Trembling, Ezekial curled his legs and clutched them with his arms tightly, rocking back and forth in the chair.  “I will not tell you, I have been commanded silence on this matter.”

Furious, Tiberius closed the last remaining feet between him and Ezekial in a matter of seconds.  He leaned in close to the trembling man’s face and screamed.  “I am an Inquistor, Ezekial!  I answer to no one save the Emperor himself, by HIS command!  I don’t care if the High Lords of Terra itself instructed a vow of silence for you, my commands come before all others!”

Ezekial’s eyes scanned pensively between the Inquisitor who was inches from his face and the Techpriest Lagos who slowly approached him as well.  He closed his eyes as tears streamed down his face in fear, “You are not above all others, Inquisitor.”

“All save the Emperor himself, and I doubt he will come in this room and excuse your traitorous silence!”

The priest’s hands shot under his robe, still shaking underneath the thin fabric.  Tiberius, still angry at his lack of progress, grabbed at Ezekial’s arms and pulled them out from underneath the robe.  Before he could continue to berate the Priest; however, he saw that the old man’s hands carried a small cylinder.  Snatching it quickly, Tiberius opened the canister.  Tilting it on its side, what appeared to be a very ancient document slid out, its paper fibers encased in clearplas to ensure the document’s coherency. 

“What in the name of Terra is this?!” the Inquisitor bellowed.

Ezekial watched Tiberius read the document, and with each passing second the old Priest began to rebuild his confidence.  “That,” he said as he straightened up in the chair, “Is the document commanding me to silence.  The seal on the bottom is the seal of the immortal Emperor himself, affixed there ten millennia ago.”

Shocked, Tiberius took several stumbling steps backwards as he read and reread the document repeatedly.  “What have they taken?”  He said it quietly at first, but his anger quickly began to return.  This time, it was not at the Priest but at the thought of these heretical marines taking something so precious the Emperor himself forbade its guardians to speak of it?”

“What have they taken?”  This team it was screamed at Ezekial as he through the venerated document back at the Priest.  Stepped back towards him again, Tiberius now drew his bolt pistol.  “You will tell me Priest.  Your vow of silence was to protect those relics, and clearly that has failed.  I must know!”

From the seething gaze he saw a metallic blur come towards him from the corner of his eye.  Before he could move to avoid it; he found himself pinned on top of the table by one of Arkimades’ servo arms.  “His command of silence is above your authority, Tiberius.”

The Inquisitor struggled to move his arm, but found it pinned under the firm grip of the servo arm.  “What is the meaning of this, Lagos?!”

“Controlling you, Tiberius, so that I have your full attention.  The Priest doesn’t need to break his edict; I will tell you what the Dragoons have taken.”

Both Tiberius and Ezekial were wide eyed – one out of curiosity and one out of fear.  “You musn’t say it,” the priest sobbed.

The Lagos turned to look at the member of the Ecclesiarch.  “You have no authority over my sharing of knowledge.  The Inquisitor is correct when he said he must know what was taken.  He needs to know the gravity of the situation.”

From deep within his body, Ezekial mustered all the strength and will he could and flung himself at Arkimades.  His implants detected the assault, and from under the robe the techpriest’s other servo arm shot out and firmly grasped the priest’s neck.  With a slight strain in his face, Arkimades closed the grip on the neck, and it became as thin as a data wafer.  In an instant, the lifeless body of the priest was released by the arm and became a lump of dying mass on the floor.

Shocked at the altercation, Tiberius straightened up as Arkimades released the servo arm that was pinning him in place.  “With him dead, I don’t need to worry about you killing him.”

Running his fingers over his eyes and gripping the top of his nose in frustration, the Inquisitor knew he was not fast enough to draw his bolt pistol against the Lagos.  He desperately wanted Arkimades to finish explaining what he knew, but suddenly found himself deathly afraid of being alone in a room with the man.  If man was even a proper description for the mesh of flesh and machinery.

“What they have stolen, Inquisitor, is a key.  It was discovered during the Grand Crusade and was sent to Mars for verification.  It was an ancient relic from the Dark Age of Technology that would allow the bearer to activate a Standard Template Construct.

“The key was for a specific Construct; however, and one that we were unable to find.  Several centuries of searching turned up nothing.  It was forgotten about as a worthless relic of a past time until a force of traitor marines attacked the facility it was being held in.  They were unsuccessful in their attempt to breach the facility, but the Mechanicum became concerned that they somehow found the STC and planned to use it to create weapons no man had seen for millennium

“The Emperor ordered the key to be hidden in a secure facility known by only a handful from his servants and Lagos order of the Mechanicum.  The vow of silence was declared to further protect the secret of its location.  All the while the Mechanicum sent out fleets to try and find out if the location of a complete Construct really had been discovered.”

Tiberius was still struggling to take all of this information in, but there were gaps that he wanted filled in, “Where do the Dragoons fall into this?”

Nodding, Arkimades continued.  “The Dragoons displayed a curious pattern when he examined the incidents in which the Imperium encountered them.  We became worried they had somehow been able to track the path of the relic as it moved from location to location.  Their arrival at Neva after it was sentenced to destruction via Exterminatus proved that.  Somehow, they found the key.  Omnissiah knows what they will do.

“Imagine if you will, Inquisitor, one of the numerous traitor forgeworlds now equipped with a complete Construct from the Dark Age of Technology.  Do you now understand the gravity of the situation?  The reason why that Priest would have rather died before revealing what he was protecting?”

Tiberius did not reply.  Instead he walked over to the wall at a blistering pace and slammed his fist against the vox communicator.  The garbled voice of Captain Davidson came through, “This is the Captain.”

“Captain this is Inquisitor Tiberius.  The second those other ships are in range and ready to make the jump with us, I want it executed.  The situation is far more grave than I had suspected.”

Tiberius turned to storm out of the room, but stopped at the lifeless husk that was Ezekial.  Reaching down, he grabbed the Emperor’s edict that he had carried and walked through the doorway.  Turning to the two guards that remained on station, he gestured vaguely back towards the Priest.  “Clean up the room and dispose of him.”

Chapter Two will continue when I post the next part in a couple of days ...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »
Nice update, Phytrion! Very intense altercation in the meeting room there. It'll be interesting to see how Tiberius with Dragoons and what the Chapter plans to use those relics for. Can't wait to see more!

Offline Khodexus

• BANNED Spammer - Mods simply don't understand
  • I guess I'm just safest not posting anything...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »
This was very intriguing.  One of the most interesting and gripping "imperium" stories I've ever read.  Certainly not over the top, and your characters seem very human.  You've done a good job keeping the reader questioning the true loyalties of not only the dragoons, but also some of the other main characters.

I'll be looking forwards to the next chapter of this, and that isn't something I usually say for stories involving primarily (or even only) imperium protagonists.

If there's one critique I might make, it would be to question your decision to give them eldar technology.  However, I don't know your explanation for that yet, so I can't say whether it feels like a bit too much yet, but I hope their eldar "allies" have good and realistic reasons for allying with them.

-That is all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:39:17 AM by Khodexus »
Current Projects: Necrondus – the Lost City, Codex: Dark Eldar – Revised.  C&C appreciated.

Dark Eldar Poster of the Year 009.M3 (2009)
BANNED spammer 010.M3 (2010)

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
Thank you very much!  As to the holo fields, it will become very clear why they have it, and it is a well grounded reason.  But enough about that, let's finish chapter two :)

Chapter Two, continued...

If someone were to look at an image of Thandros III without any size reference, most would assume it was a rogue asteroid floating aimlessly through a solar system.  The Tyranids had so thoroughly stripped it of all useable mass that only barren rock remained, its atmosphere stripped leaving the planet naked and desolate.  Hundreds of miles above what remains of the surface, a trio of ships progressed in their orbit above the north pole of Thandros III.

While all three of the ships were clearly Imperial in origin, one of the vessels easily eclipsed the other two in size.  It bore no clear markings that identified its owner, but it was a class of vessel that had not been in use by the navy for several thousand years.  Its escort, a standard Gothic class cruiser, stayed in its guard position off the starboard of the much larger vessel.  The third ship, the Dominion of Men, looked like a minnow compared to its present company as it glided underneath the ancient battleship and prepared to dock.  Its thrusters shot out clouds of pressurized gas as it locked into the proper position.

A dozen docking tubes shot out from underneath the battleship and latched onto the long spine of the light cruiser.  Beyond the door that Tybalt was standing in front of, he could hear the sound of air filling up in the docking tunnel.  He had his helmet on now, just in case there was a problem and he suddenly found himself in a vacuum with no air to breathe.  He was taking no chances on the transfer of the relics to their chapter home.  Tybalt did not even trust his servitors to handle the objects, he had subordinated a few of his battle brothers with the charge of carrying the objects over to the Raphael’s Horn.  Normally, such a request would be looked down upon with scorn, but a chance to assist in bringing home the objects their chapter has sought out for thousands of years was a cause for celebration. 

The four Astartes who were assisting him had adorned their armor with several oaths, and they stood eagerly behind him in the airlock.  Not even Tybalt himself could hide his excitement.  While his physical body stood perfectly still, the nervous excitement he felt inside was sending a flurry of electronic impulses to his servo harness.  His servo arm rotated and opened and closed repeatedly, an odd mechanical form of normal human fidgeting in anxious anticipation.  The five marines stared at the display to the right of the blast door, waiting for the all clear light.  After what seemed like an eternity, the display switch to green and the blast door slid open.  Far down the tunnel, Tybalt could see the blast door open from the Horn, and he quickly stepped through the docking collar and towards his home.  Towards the end of their millennia long quest.

When the group of Astartes reached the other side of the docking tunnel, they stepped through the docking collar and blast door and into the massive chamber beyond.  It was not well lit, most of the light coming from the opposite end of the room and spilling over the metal floor and walls to arrive at the opened docking collar as a faint glow.  Before the five stood dozens more of their kind, clad in the same dark brown power armor and similarly adorned with oath scrolls as the four Tybalt had chosen to accompany him.

The room was silent for a few moments as the blast door shut behind them.  The four marines stepped forward, standing in a single line with Tybalt, two on the left carrying the holoprojector and two on the right carrying the construction plans.  One of the marines from Raphael’s Horn stepped forward, his shoulder markings identifying him as a Captain.  He stood between the many marines from the battleship and the small group sent over from the Dominion.  The silence ended when he brought his hands together over his chest in the sign of the aquila.

Smiling with pride, even though it could not be seen through his helmet, Tybalt returned the salute, “For the Emperor!”

All of the remaining marines in the room that were not carrying the relics snapped to attention and gave the sign of the aquila as well.  A roar filled the room as the Astartes all let loose their battle cry for the lord of all men.  Tybalt stepped forward and embraced the Captain proudly, “Brother-Captain, our journey now comes to an end.”

Releasing from the embrace, the Captain stepped back and gestured with his arm towards the door on the opposite end of the room.  “Techmarine Tybalt.  You bring our chapter and our legion honor in the Emperor’s name, will you join me on the bridge?”

As Tybalt nodded and matched him in step, the Captain turned to the assembled marines, “Relieve your brothers from the Dominion of Men and send the relics up to the bridge shortly.”

Leaving behind the growing commotion of activity in the docking facility, Tybalt and the Captain began their trek towards the bridge.  Turning, Tybalt pondered who this astartes was.  “Your voice sounds familiar, but I don’t believe I have fought with you before.  Are you Brother Captain Renault?”

“I am indeed,” Renault said, nodding in affirmation as they continued through the polished hallway.  Tybalt imagined his deep, bellicose voice inspired fury and zeal on the battlefield.  “We have eagerly awaited the arrival of your ship.  I didn’t think such a small vessel could make it past a cardinal world unscathed.”

Tybalt chuckled lightly, “She’s small, but can still pack a punch.  As for being unscathed, we have our friends in the Cabal to thank for that.”

Renault continued to speak as he removed his helmet, knowing it was now unnecessary as they were far from the docking facilities.  “Indeed, I just wish they had given us the capacity to use those holo fields on the Horn, imagine a ship of this size slipping inside a defense grid unmolested.”

The techmarine had removed his helmet as well, his light hearted demeanor now plain for all to see.  “Fortunately Captain, the days of deception are past us.”

Above everything else, Captain Myr had wished to be there to deliver the relics with Tybalt.  He had spent the warp journey polishing his armor, and had even pulled out the seven hundred year old oath scroll to complete this quest, and had prepared to affix it to his armor.  That dream was cut short; however, by an urgent call to report to the bridge. 

Clad in his naval tunic, Myr strode into the bridge as the doors receded.  “Mister Barton, I swear on your existence this better be the most pressing emergency of your career.”

Before Barton could respond, Myr knew it was indeed serious.  The human bridge officer did not even quiver at the sound of the astartes’ angry ultimatum.  “Lord Captain, our astropaths received an urgent message moments ago, so strong in emotion that they are badly injured.  The apothecaries are doing what they can right now.”

Myr walked over to the terminal Barton and the other officers were working at, “Have we had the chance to interpret the message?”  Myr knew that a message of such a magnitude could only have been of extreme importance.  The astropaths would have to be returned to consciousness so that the ship’s systems could make sense of the psychic images they had received.

“Some of it, by the feedback from the message shorted out some of our stations.  We were able to produce two images.”

Starring at the screen, Myr now saw two pictures being displayed.  Both were incomplete and distorted, evidence that the psychic energies had overloaded the system before they could completely interpret the images that were sent through the Imperyan.  The image on the left bore some resemblance to the symbol of the Adeptus Mechanicus, but also had some inscriptions on it that were hard to make out.  Myr decided to evaluate that image later and look at the image on the right – this image was still distorted but clearly displayed a small fleet of Imperial ships somewhere in space.

The Captain’s contemplation was interrupted by a shout from a young astartes across the bridge.  “Brother Captain, Raphael’s Horn wants to know the nature of the signal we just received.”

Myr looked down at Barton, “Can we confirm the source?”

Barton nodded quickly, “This is definitely from our operatives on Espandor.  It is a friendly transmission.”

Turning back towards the other astartes, Myr pointed to the active communication link, “Tell the Horn we’re working on it.”

Walking over to the helmsman, he loaded the second image on their displays.  “Do those star configurations look familiar to you?”

Although the image was distorted, there were recognizable stars in the image the crew could use to interpret the position of the ships.  The helmsmen furiously entered commands and brought up known charts and made comparisons.  While this was being done, Myr thought back to the heavily distorted image of the Mechanicum.  The realization of the message hit him just as the helmsmen produced their answer.

“Sir, that is very close to our exit position from the Espandor system.”

Myr grunted a quick thanks and walked over to the astartes that was communicating with the Raphael’s Horn.  "Tell the Horn we need to disembark immediately, and tell them to prepare for inbound enemies.”

The astartes, young and still inexperienced in bridge work, hesitated, “Brother Captain, what are you talk-“  Myr didn’t have time to relay through a middle person, so without a word grabbed the vox and spoke with the Horn’s communication officer.

“This is Captain Myr.  Expect in bound hostile forces, I believe Lagos Arkimades showed Espandor’s naval forces how to track our ship while we used our holofields.”

Before he could get an acknowledgement from the Horn, one of his naval officers shouted throughout the bridge.  “Contact!  Multiple ships emerging from the warp!”

Myr spun around and ran towards his command chair to look at this sensor readout.  Indeed, more than a dozen ships had emerged in high orbit over the equator of Thandros III. “Can you identify the ships?”

“Definitely Imperial, Lord Captain.  Trying to identify specific,” his voice faded out as he focused on entering commands and interpreting the data as it was fed to him.  “One of them is the Minotaur!”

Standing upright, Myr did not expect to find that ship among the names of vessels.  “So Arkimades brought Tiberius here,” he said to himself.  Snapping out of his daze of thought, he began to issue orders.  “Emergency disembarkation procedures, now!  Ensure that the Horn is aware of the situation and prepare for battle!”

Malnore was trying to think of the last time a Navigator had requested that the Emperor’s Tarot be consulted, and could not come up with an occasion.  The Emperor’s Tarot was a set of seventy eight crystalline wafers, psychically linked to the mind of the Emperor himself.  When consulted, the cards can serve as a harbinger for events yet to come.  Often times Inquistors turn to the tarot, sometimes the Ecclesiarchy but never could Malnore recall the Navigator families request a consultation with the tarot.

With his trained precision, Malnore laid out the reader and the five cards of the tarot.  He began to whisper his prayer to the Emperor while the Paternoval Envoy looked on in anticipation.  The Navigators were a mutant strain of humanity that can guide ships through the otherwise in-travelable warp.  The Paternoval Envoy serves as a representative of the various families to the High Lords of Terra.  He had come demanding a reading after claiming the navigable ways of the warp were in jeopardy.

“Envoy, while I give you my promises that our Imperium is secure, I imagine the cards I am about to display will be far more reassuring.”

As he finished with his prayer and the ritual of the tarot, he opened his eyes to interpret the cards.  Only two of the five had formed into an image, the other three remained in their inactive state.  “I’ve never seen this before,” he stammered.

The navigator leaned in curiously, “Never seen what before?”

Sweat began to form on his hands as a nervous pit formed in his stomach, “Never have only two cards been revealed, always have all five been shown to display the future.”

“What do the two cards say?”  the Envoy pressed on.

Nodded in agreement to the idea, Malnore slid the display over to focus on the two tarot cards that revealed themselves.  As soon as he saw them he stepped back in shock.  “One is the Emperor.  That is only shown if great events are about to unfold.  The other … the wafer must be damaged, I’ve never seen that before.  It doesn’t even appear to be a concrete image.”

Looking in to see what he was referring to, the Envoy exposed a toothy smile.  “I have seen that image, adjutant.  That is the astronomican, as only a Navigator can view it.”

Almost speechless, Malnore mustered enough focus to whisper, “Then you were right.”

Offline Phytrion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »
Alright, I'm finally restarting my work on this story ... here's the next chapter:

++Chapter 3++
++Location: High Orbit above Thandros III Equator++

Like an ancient remora unlatching from a shark the Dominion of Men slid out from underneath the Dragoon’s flagship, its plasma engines pumping untold quantities of energy into the void of space as it took up formation alongside the Raphael’s Horn.  Far in the distance, the lights of the Imperial fleet grew ever larger as they closed in on the Dragoon’s position.

On the bridge of the Dominion, Captain Myr sat in his command chair and monitored the progress of his bridge crew.  Through the thick bulkheads he could hear his ship come to life as the weapon systems and holofields began to fire up, and smiled as the ancient technology geared for battle.  He heard of the great titans behaving as chained beasts before battle, and wondered if the Dominion possessed a similar machine spirit.

He looked at the monitor built into his right arm support, and keyed in to look at the projection of the local area of space.  The opposing fleet had half a dozen cruisers and countless escort squadrons, and they were all approaching the Dragoons at a rapid pace.  The Dragoon’s flagship, the Raphael’s Horn, remained at its position as the escort cruiser Hegemon took up a position along side.  Energy readings indicated it was already powering up its massive nova cannon.

The main holo projector at the center of the bridge displayed read outs for the major systems, and Myr saw that the reactors were diverting power into the holo fields and preparing the capacitors to engage the xenos technology.  As he prepared to issue the command, a bridge officer shouted from behind the command chair, “Teleport alarm!”

Before Myr could even stand up to face the officer, klaxons began to wail across the bridge as a crack of thunder and bright light ripped through the forward observation deck and blinded the Astartes.  Attempting to squint through the after image that stained his eye sight, he could see ten imposing figures that suddenly appeared on his bridge.

As the bright light faded and Myr had a clearer picture of the situation, he realized there was no cause for alarm.  Standing on the forward observation deck of his bridge stood ten of his brother marines, equipped with the near-impervious tactical dreadnaught armor.  Stepping down from his command chair, Myr approached his brothers with a salute of respect. 

“Brother Captain Iscariot, you join us in this exercise?”

The lead terminator smiled and returned the sign of the aquila, “We’ve been ordered by the Horn to teleport to your ship.  You’ve been instructed to engage the holofields and set course for the Minotaur.”

Myr was glad to receive the reinforcements.  “You’re to board the ship and take out our pursuer.” 

Iscariot gave a toothy grin as he stepped forward and walked towards the door out of the bridge.  “And you’re to join us in the assault.  Prepare yourself, head to your armory immediately.”

The Captain of the Dominion pointed at his first officer, an eager middle aged human who had served the ship faithfully for decades.  “Mister Hoshi, you have the bridge.  Engage the holofields and approach the Minotaur at best speed.  Don’t set the intercept course until after the fields are up, I don’t want them to know of our approach.”

Hoshi saluted in affirmation as he sat down in the command chair, his body dwarfed by the furniture that was designed to accommodate an Astartes.  Myr stepped out of the bridge and into the dimly lit walkway, proceeding to his quarters to don his armor and weapons.  As he approached the elevator to his quarters’ deck, the normal white lighting dimmed to a pale blue, indicating the ship was now under the cloak of the holofields.

“The same ship from our Espandor encounter just disappeared, vectoring towards our fleet,” the bridge crewman reported.

Tiberius pointed to the location on the projector where the Dominion of Men’s indicator light vanished.  The disappearance of the small cruiser left only the large flagship and its Gothic class escort the Hegemon.  The flagship was massive, and heavily gunned – but the numbers he brought would force it to split up its fire and drain its effectiveness considerably. 

“Inquisitor, sensors report nova cannon firing up from the cruiser.”

Eyeing the sensor data, the Gothic cruiser was charging up the reactors and funneling energy into the massive energy cannon at the prow of the ship.  Tiberius began wringing his hands in nervous anticipation as he issued orders, “Scatter our forces out to avoid clustering.  I don’t want ships to get caught in that blast because we’re too close.”

As Tiberius delegated orders from the command seat, Captain Davidson attempted to retain some control over his ship.  Walking over to the sensorium workers, he leaned in close to their consoles and kept his voice hushed.  “Are the vessels scrambling any fighters?  Are they setting up a protective screen at all?”

Matching the Captain’s quiet tones, one of the deck workers responded.  “We’ve got screens up to protect from torpedo attacks, but no offensive movements.  They have deployed no fighters whatsoever.”

Glancing back over, Davidson made sure that the Inquisitor was paying no attention to his conversation.  “Okay good, signal the 71st escort cruiser squadron.  They’ve got a bomber wing.  Tell them to start deploying pressure charges in this sector,” he gestured to a vague area below the enemy fleet.  “Something doesn’t feel right.”

A warning klaxon fired and filled the ears of all on the bridge.  “Nova cannon fired!”

Looking out of the massive windows that formed the forward wall of the bridge deck, Davidson could see a blue-white plume of energy rapidly approaching the fleet.

“Enemy fleet scattering to avoid the nova cannon, sir.  The ships are still maintaining cohesion, however.”

Mister Hoshi stroked his chin as he looked over the data screens.  The fleet was indeed spreading out, but they were maintaining their general formation, just with the ships of the line much farther apart.  “The Minotaur is moving straight up the Z axis, change course up seventy eight degrees and intercept.  Maximum speed.”

The sensor officer looked up from his post, his uncertainty at the first officer’s orders plain to see on his furrowed brow, “The holofields won’t be able to mask a plasma discharge of that magnitude, sir.”

Shaking his head, Hoshi grinned, “The nova discharge will blind their sensors long enough for us to climb to their flagship and get within teleport range.  Make the course correction, helm.”

“Course changed, full speed, up 78 degrees.  Time to teleport range, twenty seven minutes.”

The Dominion of Men glided through space, its hull invisible to all observers.  The holofields concealing it; however, were designed for the Eldar ships that relied on the fluid, solar craft that emitted far less raw energy as they moved through space.  Usually, the Dominion would move at less than half of its potential speed to prevent the plasma discharge from overwhelming the stealth technology.  Although visually no one could still see the ship, as she reached her maximum speed the energy began to bleed through and any attentive sensors could now detect the engines.  For a brief moment the Dominion was exposed to potential discovery, but then the nova fire erupted in a white blue sphere and easily dwarfed the energy output of the cruiser’s engines.  Hoshi closed his eyes briefly as the bridge viewports took a moment to adjust their polarity.  The Dominion was at a safe distance from the nova shockwave, but still close enough to be blinded by the ferocity of the explosion.

Hoshi eyed the battle display that stood at the center of the bridge deck.  Their flagship, the Horn, had turned to bring its starboard side to bear on the Imperial fleet.  In less than an hour, Tiberius’ fleet would be within range of the lance batteries, and the real firefight would begin.  Even as he watched the cruisers and destroyers inch towards the Horn, he saw another nova round fire from the Gothic cruiser, this time aiming at the lower portions of the enemy fleet.  A pang of concern ran over the naval officer’s body.  He had been serving faithfully for the Dragoons for decades now, and although he could not even begin to fathom the reasoning behind their tactics, he knew their effects all too well.  Hoshi also knew, from listening to Captain Myr during their warp journey, that the Inquisitor Tiberius was not a fool.  “Communications, establish a tight beam connection with the Hegemon.

“Signal to them that they need to lay down a pattern of fire towards … ,” Hoshi eyed the various vessels at the bottom edge of the Imperial fleet.  He needed a believable target, something that would be vital, yet small enough for the Dominion of Men to engage.  He noticed a squadron of escort cruisers drifting down and towards the Dragoon flagship.  Sensors showed bomber sized craft disembarking.  “Have them move the nova shots closer and closer to those escort cruisers.  They’ll assume we’re trying to destroy their fighter forces so we can launch torpedoes or Thunderhawks.  Wait to transmit until the next shot in order to mask the transmission.”

After the communications officer nodded that the transmission had been sent, Hoshi sat back in the command chair and looked at the slowly growing blob of lights in the distance that was the Minotaur.

“Fourth nova cannon shot!”

Captain Davidson was still at the sensor stations, with Inquisitor Tiberius sitting in his command chair.  The computer projected the path of the cannon shot, and a little chill went down Davidson’s spine.  He got up from his chair, and putting his arm on the technician’s shoulder he quietly muttered, “Keep me posted where the fifth shot goes.”  Walking over to Tiberius, he could tell the Inquisitor had experience in directing naval combat.  He had never encountered an Inquisitor in such a setting, but found it odd that one would be so versed in naval tactics and captaincy. 

Tiberius saw Davidson approach, “They seem to be concentrating their nova cannon fire on the southern portion of our fleet.  They want us to close our gaps and move up closer.  That’s not going to happen.”  With his hand, he drew invisible motions on the map of the battle – broad strokes moving to the extreme left and right of the combat zone.  “Send the ships in the southern zone around the flanks.  We need to envelop them and finish this swiftly.”

The communications officers began to relay the orders, and the southern ships slowly began to split off to the west and east of the battle.  All of the ships began to move, save the 71st escort squadron, which continued to move on their original course.  Tiberius was quick to notice this, with an angry scowl forming on his face “Why aren’t those ships changing their heading?”

“Call it a hunch, Inquisitor.  I sent that squadron on a mission to lay pressure charges several clicks below the enemy vessels.”

Tiberius shot up in an instant, and grabbed the naval tunic that Davidson was wearing.  “I’ve got a rogue marine chapter in my grasp.  These are the most conniving, deceitful opponents the Imperium has faced in centuries.  I need every ship to make sure they cannot pull a single piece of wool over my eyes, and you’re attempting to supersede MY authority?!”

Sweat began to accumulate around his collar, and around his hairline as his options flashed before him.  In an instant, he determined his course of action.  “I was concerned they had another card left in their hand we aren’t seeing, sir.”  The edge of his sir was filled with such vitriol and sarcasm that Tiberius shook with anger.  “I bet if you see where the fourth nova cannon shot hits, it will confirm that I’m on to something.”

Tiberius’ grip loosened as he was unable to mask his surprise that Davidson did not back down at all.  The Captain saw the opportunity and pressed forward, “Your authority certainly does supersede mine, Inquisitor, but your experience does not.  I’ve been in my share of battles, and a ship of that size does not have just one escort with it.  Recall those escort carriers if you want, but when your dorsal flank is exposed there’s not an Inquisitorial power that will save you or the rest of us.”

Just as the Inquisitor was reaching for his bolt pistol, one the sensor station attendants shouted out, “Fifth nova cannon shot!”

Davidson and Tiberius turned towards the attendant and asked the exact same question.  “Destination?”

The tracking grid flared up on the main projector displaying the impact detonations of all four nova cannon rounds.  No one on that deck could mistake what that visual told them, the rounds were angling towards the squadron.  Unwilling to back down, but realizing he had been proven wrong, Tiberius nodded to the attendant and turned back to Davidson, “We’ll finish our conversation later.  For now, continue to monitor the progress on those pressure charges.”

Internally reveling in his small victory over Tiberius, Davidson walked over to the sensor stations to monitor the situation closer.  The three escort carriers, barely large enough to be designated light cruisers, had deployed their bombers and those tiny craft were now beginning to lay down a grid of pressure charges.  The Captain knew that the vastness of space meant the minefield would probably not hit a single ship, but he hoped its presence would force the enemies to expose any hidden craft on his terms instead of theirs.  Minutes passed as he watched the sensor banks, and there were no detonations, reports of communication traffic, or even unexpected energy readings.  If there were other concealed ships, they were not budging at all.

“Twelve minutes to teleport range.”

The machinery continued to rumble on the bridge deck, but none of the crew uttered a sound.  They were now well beyond range of the Horn and her escort, so if the Dominion was discovered now they would certainly face destruction.  They had lowered their engine output back down to levels the holofields would mask, and now the crew waited for the ship to get close enough for Captain Iscariot and his terminators to teleport on board the Minotaur.  Far below the bridge deck, First Officer Hoshi knew that the strange servants of Mars were preparing the arcane machinery, probably the only people on board moving around save the Astartes. Although the Astartes and tech priests had faith in the holofields, it was still tough for most of the crew to trust alien technology, and the thought of being blown apart by macro cannons at close range brought knots to most of the crew’s stomach.

“Ten minutes to teleport range.  Holofield integrity remains stable.”

Hoshi simply nodded in acknowledgment of the bridge crewmember’s report.  With each passing second, the Minotaur loomed larger and larger.  The Dominion of Men could teleport from a significant distance, primarily so it could teleport troops to the surface of planets from hundreds of miles up in orbit.  The added bonus was that the Dominion could maintain a relatively safe distance from any ship it sought to board.  Relatively safe is the operative phrase – should the holofields fail she would be able to limp to safety taking in some damage, rather than being blasted into hundreds of pieces at point blank range.   While the Astartes exhibited their calm disposition, the human crew could never hope to remotely emulate their zen like focus.  Nervous sweat formed on the hands of every person on that deck as the timer continued to count down.

“Five minutes to teleport range.”

The hull of the Minotaur was looming quite large now, and the crew began their final preparations for the use of the teleporter when a communications officer broke the nervous silence.  “Sir!  Incoming tight beam transmission from the Horn!” 

A chill ran down Hoshi’s spine.  “Why would they send a transmission!  They just gave away our –”

Before he could finish the realization that their location was now exposed to the entire fleet, warnings began to flash on the bridge deck.  “Weapons alert!  The Minotaur is firing macro cannons at our location.  She knows we’re here.  Three destroyers vectoring towards our position, too!”

The almost half hour of nervous silence quickly vanished as the bridge crew erupted in frantic activity to respond to their exposed state.  Hoshi stood upright and began barking orders.  “Drop the holo fields, emergency power up to the void shields now!”  He paused to look at the timer, and saw they were less than four minutes away from teleport range.  At this distance, the macro cannons’ accuracy would keep them fairly safe, but a lucky shot without their void shields could cripple the light cruiser.  “Navigation, maximum speed as soon as the voids are activated.  We need to close the gap to teleport range now.”

Hoshi could feel the slight rumble in the floor increase in pitch as the engines roared to maximum acceleration.  Looking up, he saw the timer compensate for the changing speed of the ship.  They now had a minute and fifty seconds until they could teleport the terminators onto the Minotaur.  Then they would have to address the question that was in the back of everyone’s mind: how would the Dominion escape back to the protective fire of the Raphael’s Horn?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »
Woot! I remember this and awesomeness involved ;D! Cool seeing you back, Phytrion, also good to see you continuing this. I'm going to have to start over for cause I don't remember much of it, but I should have it finished sometime tommorrow :).

EDIT: Guess things appear to be bitter sweet for the Dragoons at the moment :P. Can't wait to see a bold plan to smite Tiberius' ;D.