News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48570 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
lol... I just meant PAINT not color! lol Not trying to pressure you into color my man! Trust me! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also I don't know what it is... something my brother experiences too where certain art (in black and white or grey scale) messes with our eyes/brains and we have trouble seeing it. Its sort of like an optical illusion thing. Sorry if this sounds weird but its hard to explain!

Anyway still highly intrigued even if my brain can figure out what I'm looking at! So carry on and ignore me!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha no worries ;) I can do with some pressuring every now and again ;)

I'm definitely glad you mentioned the whole 'using different colours, all building to something that looks uniform' thing though. I've been experimenting on some of the hapless Kroot who sacrificed their lives to make these guys, and the best results so far have been from starting with a variety of dark basecolours (Incubi Darkness, Rhinox Hide, and Kantor Blue is the darkest I've got there) and then drybrushing them with a few lighter shades then washing the whole lot with Nuln Oil.

There isn't a single genuine black in there, yet the whole thing looks black when looked from afar (just varied tones thereof).

Not sure it'll help with the funky visual stuff mind you (if it even looks anything other than flat black in photos anyway). Little intrigued by that as an ex-psych student with an interest in neuroscience though ;)

Oh, finished my poem too. Great fun (even if side-effects include your inner monologue sounding off if it's not in 8-beat rhyming couplets). Easier to make out the narrative too when it's all together:

'pon the ruin'd moon of Hyllas, spake the legionary Pallas,
"Cast thou hence from in the shadows, lest I smite thee duly, or-
speak thy name if Thorne or craven.", 'pon which from its darkened haven
Stepped a grim and tattered raven wand'ring from the Nightly shore
"Tell me what thy wretched name is 'midst this pale and icy hoar”
Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

"We spy thine ships by moonfall's aft, thy manifold and blackened craft
Loiter round the Rout like stormclouds, scavengers like crows of yore.
Chatter caw and bicker hasten. Ears and eyes and spies and graven-
ones the Wolves do brand 'Valravn', we have spied thine ilk before.
By what hubris think thine arms might stand afore the might of Thorne?
Speak no more of 'nevermore'."

The raven's head did tilt and twist and quizzically it viewed him hence
Yet Pallas stayed his mighty blade, confusion gripping soul and more
"Wherefore art thou masters brave then? Tombstones 'pon which names engraven."
Yet unflinching stood it's brazen gaze that burnt through armoured core
"Hydra's heads shall reign supreme from dust to dust and Throne to Thorne."
Quoth the raven 'Nevermore."

Within Pallas rose an ire as a raging inner fire
Impudence of wretch's tongue like insults flung hast brought it fore.
Sadly rage obscured unshaven brutes within said Nightly haven
Hydra's blood ran through the cave in ruddy pools along the floor.
Thence the skull of Pallas stands resplendent 'bove the raven's door.
Thorne supreme reigns nevermore.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Nice! I love the poem man. You are a true hobbyist my friend. This is the kind of stuff GW really hopes to inspire in people and you are there my man. So cool. I just love the whole panorama of your project log my friend. Killing it as always!

Also I'm super glad that creature core stuff has helped you. I actually stumbled across that stuff in researching for my writing (and my own art, I have to draw all my stuff to figure it out for my writing) and it was HUGELY inspiring for myself. Although my painting style is the opposite... I remember telling you when you first popped up on the project logs that your painting style to me actually better represents what I think Eldar should be like. If you actually check out some of the old, old Rogue Trader Eldar stuff its very similar.  I think that ghostly, ethereal and somewhat morbid aesthetic is prefect.

Love Tony Hough's art...

Anyway great stuff Ynnead keep it up.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thankyou! I've been looking for that picture for ages. I keep banging on about eldar being well and truly alien, and there being this old piece of artwork that gets the point across perfectly.

That's the one!

Absolutely love that stuff. Hints of HR Giger, weird alien textures and shapes, vaguely organic amd insectile in a way that no human would ever intentionally design their armour to look.

It should be a complete shock when these terrifying insectoid-looking aliens take off their helmets and they look like elves beneath :) like if Predator took his helmet off and it was Natalie Portman underneath (and yet...something looks...off..about her).

That's how I imagine eldar anyway :)

Must remember to add more 'gribble' to my eldar in the future ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Latest work on the gribbly crows :)

Gribbly tech-shaman :) I like the idea that it's one of these shaman-class of tech-diviners. A Tech Priest -type with an Omnispex would have considerable power in a backwards scavenger society for their seemingly mystical ability to locate valuable bits of technology buried deep under rubble or otherwise hidden from view.

Started painting now as well. Found the solution to the whole 'dozen shades of black' thing. I'm mixing up 3 blobs of Abaddon Black with an arbitrary number of blobs of each blue and green I have so each shade is different :) fingers crossed it looks ok!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Great work Ynnead. Love that Tech Shaman. The things you can do with a kit bash really blow my mind. So seamless, so natural.

Great work.

like if Predator took his helmet off and it was Natalie Portman underneath (and yet...something looks...off..about her).

I don't care if something looks 'off' about her. I've still got a geek boner.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha you and me both ;)

Thanks man :) should have the first test model painted soon :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Ah! Now I can see them properly! Love it! I'm getting a Chozo from Metroid/Prometheus vibe which is A+++ in my book. Really love the Shaman, just an insane conversion there bud. Just incredible modelling my friend. Really love this batch of models. Can't wait to see paint on them!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Glad you like them Cav :) won't have to wait long for the first test paint ;)

I can tell these guys are going to be a pain to photograph...

Offline Saim-Dann

Oh my, Ynnead!
That little critter looks Micky Mouse. My favorites from the group shot on page 6 are the front three, the hand guy and the Sharman... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
By the skymother, that thing looks beautiful. Dark and menacing but with just the right amount of bright spot colors to make the model easily readable, and the layering and shading looks perfect. I love this.
It's probably been asked before, but where did you get that mask?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
You NAILED it bro. WOW! Super killer paint jobs. Can totally see how you picked up on the Creature Core stuff we've been talking about. Can't tell you how nice I think these look. Really subtle and interesting, just draws the eye in immediatley. Killer work my friend... this is some leveled up painting. Love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! He bloody well better look like next level up painting considering how much time's gone into him ;)

No fancy new techniques, but every individual bit of cloth/wood/geegaw/tassle is its own separately mixed colour. If I was doing it again the same effect could probably have been done a lot simpler by painting the whole dude dark grey and then washing with blue and green washes.

But hey, you live and learn ;)

Glad those are the ones you like Saim Dann as they're my favourites too ;)

The mask is from the Ad Mech Sicarian kit, which behind the Sylvaneth Tree Revenant kit ranks as one of my favourite kits of all time. Oodles and oodles of awesome looking mechanical limbs, heads, weapons, misc doohickeys. It's a goldmine :)

Post Merge: October 28, 2017, 07:20:52 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Crow number two done :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:20:53 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Those two look awesome! I'm loving the completed paint jobs. I know the back story is to have them on a desolate battlefield, but have you thought of adding a little vegetarian to their bases? A little static grass, even dead grass, would add just a little bit of pop to the model and separate it from the base. Their gorgeous models and a great paint job, it just blends a little too well with the base and the lower half of the model gets little lost. Great work all round though and they really fit well with the rest of your aesthetic.

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
My, they are busy little blighters, aren't they? I like the red lenses. That shade stands out just right with the darker colours.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Glad you like them :)

Yeah the red eyes are one of my favourite bits about them. You can imagine them peering our of the gloom...

Great minds think alike DoW ;) I'm planning on doing a couple of tufts of grass amd maybe some patchy snow effects to break up the mass of black a little, but I haven't got any snow effect stuff and every static grass thing i've tried just looks lurid neon green against the rest of the scheme.

Going to experiment with staining them a little with nuln oil I think...

Offline Saim-Dann

Try soaking them in metho or something, Ynnead. strip the dye right out of them.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Oh these are just exceptional Ynnead. The paint job is killer. Totally fitting for the material, while the actual finish is just amazing. The palette works so well and I think the skin tone works as a great counterpoint. The tattoos (which are brilliant...how the hell is your hand steady enough for that stuff??!!!) just cap it all off.

Brilliant character, brilliant finish. Nice work Ynnead!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Interesting. Hadn't thought of stripping colour out of them, was thinking of trying to stain them darker. Shall give both a go and see what works!

Thanks Loosh! Really glad you like them :)

Not that i'm advocating alcoholism, but a nice glass of red does help steady the hand somewhat ;) that and i find it's easier to do a too-thick line and then thin it out by going back over with skintone :)

Third one done though (barring additional basing effects)

Offline Saim-Dann

Micky Mouse, Ynnead!
He looks so wasteland tech. I wouldn't put any kind of grass there myself. It looks just perfect for these little critters who've scavenged the landscape and stripped it of everything. Have the same kind of effect for my Nids. Totally devoured of any kind of organic material.

Don't feel qualified to give advice without being asked for it, so I type this sheepishly. Maybe water down the black for the rim of your bases. Makes them look like we didn't colour outside the lines. These lads are going to look amazing in a group, Ynnead. Keen to see it... Be well!!