News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newbie: Vs. Tau  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Kyndig Azhei

• If I hear ONE MORE PERSON crying cheese....
Newbie: Vs. Tau
« on: January 17, 2002, 12:19:32 PM »
Probably a question that lots of people have asked, but: I'm about to start a campaign game against a Tau army (There is also a space marines army involved, but I can handle them).  Any advice on how best to handle the Tau?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1011506400 »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Niran of Asha An

Re: Newbie: Vs. Tau
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 12:34:48 PM »
close combat aspects (preferably scorpions) in wave serpents, falcons or anything that guarantees they get there.  Other good units include bikes, spears, swooping hawks, rangers and missle launchers on the plasman mode.
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Cheantoa

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 12:40:45 PM »
more specifacally, plasma missiles are great vs. fire warriors, so my advice is to take a reaper unit w/Exarch w/missile launcher & fast shot - no armour save & pinning ;).... rangers- because they pin (and the ap 1 thing) then after that everything is speed. WSget your models in there fast, move the full 24", don't bother shooting with it... also shining spears, jetbikes (they can ty up enemy units while others get there) spiders, deepstriking hawks, anything that gets close up & personal fast.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2002, 01:36:38 PM »
Any tactics for handling broadside suits with railguns on a fairly large board?  (most recently, I tried a striking scorpions rush in a wave serpent with jetbike cannon fodder....I still mourn the loss...)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2002, 08:16:26 AM »
One piece of advice: If you can assault Tau, do it.  Only in unusual situations would NOT assaulting be a better option (i.e. you can assault and get wiped or you can stand and the firepower won't do the same).  If you get locked into combat and its a draw, those railguns can't shoot at you  ;)
If you win, you get closer to the broadsides or whatever else you're wanting to eliminate.  If you lose...what?  Don't lose...and if you do, make sure its "for the greater good"...btw...if you say that often enough, your Tau opponent may get a bit agitated...hehehe  ;D
Honestly, I haven't played against broadsides, but my opinion of stuff like that (heavy weapon with great range) is simple...not much you can do about it until you close with the enemy, so make your normal moves and force him to roll the dice.  My main opponent uses marker lights every round, lighting up this unit or that unit, firing off his hunter-seeker missile, and hits maybe once out of every 3-4 shots...even if the hit does something, its not worth my changing my strategy any.  Just keep wrecking his troop units, making them break, etc...and all else falls into place.  Big lesson here: ignore the Big Guns...they can only do so much.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2002, 01:30:50 PM »
Assault...Assault.. .Assault...

Scorpions, Banshies, and Guardian Storm Squads in fast and into the thick of their line; preferably in Wave Serpents.  Use anti-armour weapons like Bright Lances and Missle Launches on the Wave Serpents for support and to attack the Battle Suits while the troops are hitting the Fire Caste squads.

As for their heavies like the Hammerhead and Suits, Brightlances and Star Cannons.  If you can afford the points, tool up some Vypers and use the cover to get in with a CTM and shoot/harrass the Tau heavies.  If you're using Falcons, put some Fire Dragons in the belly to assault the Tau suits.
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2002, 01:35:32 PM »
Problem mostly solved....the fool is letting me use my scorpion super heavy tank as a heavy support choice....

Offline Niran of Asha An

Re:Newbie: Vs. Tau
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2002, 09:35:28 PM »
i'd spend those points on CC units in serpents if i were you. play biel-tan if you have the models.
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Offline TopDogma

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2002, 08:46:52 AM »
remember that close combat blocks line of sight. so if your enemy thinks it'd be a good idea to screen his broadsides with kroot and firewarriors? what happens when your scorpions lock em up in hth? congrats kids, you've just made the broadsides useless for a turn. also, i find that tau players tend to keep their broadsides right on the edge of the table, the better to keep them out of close combat. thus, kill 2 drones and force em to make a moral check. the last game i played against tau, my scorps were hurting until they chopped down the drones and my exarch smashed a batlesuit, the other two jumped right off the table.... leaving me in sweeping advance range of a hammerhead >=)
love those haywire grenades.

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2002, 12:19:41 PM »
with tau get to them as soon as possible...and           in cc because their long range guns will whittle you down until you can fight them
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Unforgotten_Caste

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2002, 03:43:44 PM »
I'll admit that Tau is a great threat but if you can play your cards right your gonna mop them up, i play against one that uses 1 squad of kroots 2 fire, 2 hammers, 3 stelth, and the hq...pretty easy, get a small squad of scorps 2 tie up those kroot, then get another 10 man squad with banshees and just nail the rest of the army, since other then kroot there terrible at CC, so it's kinda easy, specially if you playing beil tan, get like 3 squad of scorps in ws and there gone...all while your towering wraithlord(s) (i use 2 a game) to nail those Tau, and i love saying "this is for the greater good" before i charge since it always gets my opponent really mad, then making him not play as well  ;)

Offline Asura

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 9, 2002, 10:50:15 PM »
You know, you can always tell the people who have yet to fight the TAU because "Take wave serpents with scorpions".  Do you honestly think any Tau player worth his army will let you get that close?!  NO!  They will kill that thing!  Not might, will!  And when they do, kiss your Scorpions goodbye! I play Tau often and they shoot those things dead.  Take vechiles with CTM (pop-out) and fast moving TROOPS (30 warp spiders...*drools*),
not wave serpents with troops.  Don't list tactics for an army you have yet to face okay?

Offline saberslash127

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:42 AM »
i like to use chaos against tau for when u equip them with plasma pistol or bolter and the invisible ability the tau cant win

Offline Shad

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »
Do you honestly think any Tau player worth his army will let you get that close?!

Yes.
Tau can blow up rhinos, LR's and such, but with jetbikes and Serpents an Eldar player can be near their forces in 1-2 turns. Railguns need 5-6 to pen Serpents. Aspect-rush and Saim-Hann are quite tough opponents for Tau. I started hobby with my buddy, Tau player.

Any advice on how best to handle the Tau?
Do not hide (they will shoot you anyway), do not start in reserves, take all your forces in a single fist and smash Tau in the center of his army. Do fast, do hard, and he will break. Assault Tau firewarriors every time you can, bring pathfinders and crisis suits/broads down first. Tankshock his troops if you can. Do not let him use markerlights.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:41:09 AM by Shadenuat »

Offline jman86

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
Take the "lots of CC" suggestion with a grain of salt.  I play vs a Tau lover who uses a broadside and hammerhead, both with rail guns plus two full squads of fire warriors in transports, and he rarely dops them out.  If he does it just to hold an objective or to throw a rapid fire barrage at something.   His whole force is heavy in the heavys.  Even a Scorpion squad or two in transports and an exarch with "can opener" claw can only do so much before getting ripped up by heavy concentrated fire.

Offline Nubville

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
Any tactics for handling broadside suits with railguns on a fairly large board?  (most recently, I tried a striking scorpions rush in a wave serpent with jetbike cannon fodder....I still mourn the loss...)
  Broadsides with railguns only get the single shot, they can't use the submunition which allows a blast (large?) template shot.  So, when you go for the broadside, make sure you have a few models going towards the broadside and also have another unit threatening something else he considers important, like crisis suits or his HQ or both squads of fire warriors so he has to choose what to shoot.  I would suggest a couple of jetbikes going for the broadsuit as you are moving rather close to assaulting his other units.  The broadside is dangerous with the railgun yes, but only if you are using a transport to get there.  Just remember with whatever you choose to do, take him out and he only gets 1 shot with the Railgun. :)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
Oldest thread I've ever seen raised from the dead.....wow.

Click

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex