News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau: Target Lock and Split Fire  (Read 2150 times)

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Tau: Target Lock and Split Fire
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
I have a question regarding having both split fire and a target lock in a single unit.

If I have a Cadre Fireblade (that has split fire) join a unit of Fire Warriors that have a Shas'ui with markerlight and target lock, how do split fire and the target lock interact.

Here is how I understand the rules.

1.  Split Fire has me choose one model to fire at a seperate target.  I pick the Fireblade's markerlight at target A.
2.  The rest of the unit's shooting is now resolved but it MUST be a new target.
3.  The target lock allows the Shas'ui to shoot at a different target from the Shas'la's.  However, due to the wording of split fire I think this means that the Shas'ui can not fire at the same target the Fireblade shot at.  Therefore the Shas'ui fires his markerlight at target B.
4.  Finally, the Shas'las fire their rifles at Target C.

Do I have this right?

Thanks!

Rules for reference:
Fireblade - Codex: Tau Empire (Pg 97)
Firewarriors - Codex: Tau Empire (Pg 99)
Target Lock - Codex: Tau Empire (Pg 69)
Split Fire - BRB (Pg 172)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Tau: Target Lock and Split Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
I think you are overthinking it a bit, but RAW you are probably right, as the phrase "from the rest of his unit" features prominently.

Personally, I think the Shas'ui and Fireblade should be able to shoot at the same thing if they want, and this is the first time I've heard anybody take issue with that interpretation. <shrug>

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Tau: Target Lock and Split Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
Thank Wyddr!

I agree with you that I would think they should be able to shoot the same target.  I only asked because I was playing around making a new list and re-read the rule for split fire that got me wondering if the RAW didn't technically permit that.

Guess when trying this list (hopefully soon) I'll check with my opponent to see if they are ok with Fireblade and Shas'ui shooting the same target.