News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Varnish+Painting  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Draza

• Ancient
Varnish+Painting
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »
Quick question, can you paint over varnish. I've already Varnished some models, but am thinking of doing some highlighting on them. Will the varnish cause me any problems? Can you use GW washes or will they simply not stick?

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Varnish+Painting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »
Quick question, can you paint over varnish. I've already Varnished some models, but am thinking of doing some highlighting on them. Will the varnish cause me any problems? Can you use GW washes or will they simply not stick?

Quick answer: Yes
In fact I often cover parts of models with varnish while I am painting
Never tried new washes, but since water sticks just fine I see no reason why washes shouldn't

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
Painting over Varnish ?
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2009, 04:15:11 AM »
Ok...soooo.....I went off one day and tried out a multi-layered approach to my howling banshee's power swords trying to get some kind of power weapon effect. It included about 5 shades of green with a line of white on the very edge of the blade and a coat of varnish. My problem now is....it looks god-awful. I just want to know if I'll have to scrap it or can I just paint over it or is there someway to remove all the varnish and paint ? I just know that varnish is supposed to protect the paint, so I dunno if the regular paint removal tricks will work or not. So.....any suggestions ?
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Re: Painting over Varnish ?
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2009, 05:20:35 AM »
GW gloss varnish, which strong for coating protection, is still chemically weak.  So the normalities of removing paint still applies.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Painting over Varnish ?
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
If your varnish layer is smooth I would just paint over. I often varnish my minies periodically while painting, just to protect some layers that needs to be protected, then I just paint over it