News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: THE LONGEST DAY - 25th June - 1 day 40K tourny in Bristol UK  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
On Saturday 25th June The Bristol Vanguard will be running our one day tournament event 'The Longest Day' for 2011.

We have brought Longest Day forward into the summer this year so competitors can enjoy the journey home in daylight and closer to the actually longest day of the year, on the 21st June.

The tournament comprises of 4 games of 40k (2 @ 1500pts and 2 @ 1750pts) played during the course of the day, 9am-9pm.

Up to 70 places available, with awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd places and individual modelling awards for Best HQ, Best ELITE, Best TROOP, Best FAST ATTACK and Best HEAVY SUPPORT.

If you've attended and enjoyed a Vanguard event before, expect the same individually themed boards and relaxed gaming environment all nicely fixed into one day and now held at our new spacious venue at the Oasis Academy Brightstowe, Bristol.

Follow the below Vanguard link for details, the rulespack and how to enter.
http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk

If you'd like to check out some pictures of previous events this is for Vanquish the one most recently held (links to pictures at the bottom of page). :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
Re: THE LONGEST DAY - 25th June - 1 day 40K tourny in Bristol UK
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
Looks good, although my attendance is again, dubious at best. I do want to know if those Imperial Guard huts present on the IG Compound and Jungle terrain board are scratch built. For the moment, I took them as a heroic effort at scratch building - since I know terrain is expensive individually, nevermind a club scale - but the more I squint at the level of detail, the more I wonder if they aren't the forgeworld Amphellion base, or Taros underground entrances. Can you clarify? They look awesome.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
Looks good, although my attendance is again, dubious at best. I do want to know if those Imperial Guard huts present on the IG Compound and Jungle terrain board are scratch built. For the moment, I took them as a heroic effort at scratch building - since I know terrain is expensive individually, nevermind a club scale - but the more I squint at the level of detail, the more I wonder if they aren't the forgeworld Amphellion base, or Taros underground entrances. Can you clarify? They look awesome.

You took them correctly, its pretty much all scratch-built. Its something of a policy of ours to provide nice terrain as we where fed up of paying loads of money to go all the way up to Nottingham and play on crappy terrain. So "why don't you do better" turned into us aiming to do exactly that.

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/Site/Terrain/Terrain.html
Is a good selction, the valkyrie landing pad is obviously a bit that available (as is the valk we turned into terrain). But at the bottom is the jungle board I think you mentioned, the two forts are built mostly from foamboard with plasicard cladding, and the others use sections of house gutter as a basic shape then detailed up.

Our club has a policy of donating random odds and ends to the bits box which means we can pillage lots of odds and ends for terrain. So hatches, and rhino doors are quite common. When we do spend money for terrain its normally stuff that gets mangled and altered rather than Forgeworld, the D-day landings boards (one pictured in that link) is a good example of "OMG! How many chimera did you wreck!" A lot. My favourite is the Land Raider Crusader that has had a railgun hole put thought it... thats what AP1 looks like!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
i hope to make it. i need to look at schedules.

Might bring the tau this time!

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.