News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: XV Suits and the New Assault Rules...  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
XV Suits and the New Assault Rules...
« on: August 2, 2002, 06:37:27 AM »
If you're a bike/terminator/walker/etc. user and have read the 4th edition assault rules,  you've probably noticed the rule giving those units charge attacks even after shooting in the same turn. How shooting as if not moving equates to charging as if not shooting, I don't know, but it seems fair enough.  ;)

My thought is, since XV suits are considered stationary when firing Rapid Fire weapons (i.e. the Plasma Rifle), they should get the same benefit when firing only those weapons in the Shooting phase. Anyone else agree?

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
Re:XV Suits and the New Assault Rules...
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2002, 07:40:51 AM »
The new assult rules say specificly that any unit that is considered stationary when firing their weapons(such as bikes/dreads/terminators AND crisis/stealth suits) are going to keep their assultbonus even if they fire.

So yes...XV suits keep their assultbonus even if they attack in close combat.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2002, 07:03:44 AM »
This is a special case. Battlesuits may fire their rapid fire weapons as if they remained stationary, but they do not count as stationary if they want to fire heavy weapons. They do not always count as stationary. I think this makes them not subject of this rule.

jwu

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2002, 08:38:45 AM »
See this is why I'm asking since there's obviously a debate ;)

I'm saying that if the XV fires ONLY Rapid Fire weapons (twin or single plasma rifle. NO missiles, blasters, etc.) he should get his charge attack that turn when he assaults.

The XV is only "not moving" when the recoil absorbtion works, and the recoil absorbtion only works with Rapid Fire weapons. A terminator, specifically, uses the same concept, though its stabilizers are strong enough for heavier weapons. Thus, why WOULDN'T the exception apply to XVs? Their stabilizing equipment isn't as strong as most, but it works the same way when the right weapons are used. So to all broadside and crisis suits around the universe, I say, charge on!  ;D

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2002, 12:30:54 AM »
i'll ask gw and let you lot know

wellard
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline ValkorisZ

• My death vindicates my purpose
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2002, 02:32:29 PM »
Well, I am not going to contribute to this argument about the abilities of Suits, but after crunching some numbers (I am pretty sure of them) I have figured out the following about our 2 main suits

XV15- Their okay, but hardly assault troops.
Broadsides- The enemy will hurt the Broadside the day hell freezes over. And they will hurt the enemy at about the same time The current universe goes through aout 6 Black Holes.
The spell of arms and voices: the white arms of roads, their promise of close embraces
and the black arms of tall ships that stand against the moon, their tale of distant nations.
They are held out to say: We are alone."--James Joyce

Offline Aerundel

• My BatRep
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2002, 04:46:49 PM »
I think everyone knows that XVs aren't the best in assaults, but that isn't the issue. If it was a gun drone with the rule exception, it wouldn't be any different.

And the broadside is tough, but a *lance, power weapons, AP2 weapons, etc. would make short work out of it.