News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first  (Read 36734 times)

Offline Gibious

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
Good friend of mine played a lot of orcs and goblins he halved his army to teach me and his brother. Hooked and we all got new armies.

My dark elves were great fun to use but after my friend moved away and the flgs closed the army sat at the bottom of my wardrobe.

Few years later me and my two brothers wanted to start 40k. I took up the mantle of grey knights.

Disappointed with the new codex I have fallen to chaos. Fear my daemons :)

-Gib-

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Never played a game of WHTB yet...but I absolutely loved the Birdmen of Catraza (hope I spelled that correctly) and the Giants of Albion  8)

40k...well I got into that before I ever bought a WHFB model...kept telling my bro and friend that they were playing with their GI Joe models  ::)
Well if you can't beat em join em I always say ;)

Which I did. In secret I massed cash together and dropped a 4k bomb on them consisting of 1500 points of normal nids a bio titan and 2 hierodules :)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Vashar

• <3!
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »
I started a night shift job and didn't really go out anymore. A guy on my shift invitied me to hang out at a tourney and I borrowed someone's army and got on an open table and learned on the spot. Havent looked back since.  I dont even know my first item. I did an ebay binge and got up to like 2k in a week.
Men do not shape destiny, destiny produces the man for the hour.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2011, 05:40:29 AM »
 I got into it back in 93-94 as a cheaper and less weather dependant hobbie to racing nitro r/c buggies. Then I dropped it around 1999, selling my CSM to my older brother. Amazingly he knew i'd be back and kept it sealed in ziplock bags. After suffering massive trauma to my right arm(re. almost amputated and w/o use for close to a year) he suggested I take it back up to help fine tune my muscle control/motor skills through painting.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline el_matatan

• Each must find their own way.
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
welll i remember i was in college my freshman year and i was very bored in my dorm room. one of floormates was like hey since you aint doing nothing right now would you like to come with me to a collectible shop in town. i was alright next thing you know i played with the stores chaos space marines and loved the game over since. i remember i left with some chaos space marines a landraider and a box of berzerkers and a chaos lord.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:49:53 AM by el_matatan »
saving a life is worth dying for

Offline Akylos

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
When I was 10 years old or so we had to bring boardgames to class (who says school is lame? ;)). One of my friends brought Weapons and Warriors. It's a basic "destroy the castle" boardgame with all kinds of cool warmachines and miniatures. I was hooked and made it my goal to own that game.

Unfortunately it was no longer made so me and another friend decided to make it ourselves. We made miniatures from clay and (kind of) working warmachines using toothpicks and rubber bands. At first it was just shooting the figures with the warmachines. Later on we made rules for moving the figures and how they could fight eachother (getting inspiration off games like Heroscape, who were available but much too expensive for us back then). We were constantly inventing new rules and making new terrain, and when my parents finally got a computer I started looking online for inspiration. Soon we saw the game we were trying to make already existed and that was Warhammer.

At that time I started high school and pursued our own interests. He didn't want to invest in miniatures and went the way of the computer gamer and I did some weekend jobs to pay for Warhammer.

Now I play mainly Fantasy but started dabbling in 40K with Eldar.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:14:53 AM by Akylos »

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
My friend got the game for Christmas for some reason and he asked me to try a game. I loved the idea of a war game I could play with models that I could build and paint. After playing a few games, I fell in love with the game. Got the Dark Eldar that came with the 3rd ed starter set and painted them in military camo colors. Then I found out about the IG so I checked them out and fell in love with the Catachans. Got the old thin rule book, a lascannon team and the sniper team.

Offline wildrider40k

• Fear not death brothers, for she is old and slow!
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
i first started because my friend who is a big lotr fan collected the magazine which came with figures he played rohand and i started with uruk-hai i got some primer, lurtz and the uruk-hai paint starter set...damm good times man!
and for 40k my same friend came back off holiday with a spacemarine rhino kit and some nid warriors so i started marines with a combat squad...
5 marines for £6 those where the days :'(
Checkout my Saim Hann/dark eldar army battle reports!

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildrider40k

Offline D-Tox

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
It's a bit weird for me as I got into painting minis without even realising there was a game involved, that started way back in the late 80's (88 I think!)

I moved schools during my first year of secondary school and some of the kids in my new class had the WHFRP book, I was like "cool do you paint models?", that simple question forged friendships that are still strong today and opened up a cornucopia of gaming. Mostly I was into painting and roleplay  (man, the enemy within campaign is probably my best gaming experience ever!) but not much tabletop apart from WHFB.

I've recently got back into the hobby after a long time out and decided 40k needed to be revisited (I haven't played since RT days).

I cant really remember the first thing I got (I used to buy random blister packs with saved up pocket money) but I do remember my dad getting me the regiments of renown Harlequin boxset, I also remember trying to paint them like the pictures on the box with oil based humbrol paints! ::)

Offline Admiral Dred

• Ork Boy
  • My personal chapter: Phalanxi Astartes
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
It started at least 7-8 years ago when I asked my mom "what do badgers look like?" 

She told me to look it up on wikipedia.

In some fateful and odd event, badgers brought me to the Warhammer page, and I never looked back.
Sense just doesn't make sense, if you just happen to make sense of it all.
I use Calgar as terrain/objective.   8)
I'm only missing 4 teeth so I should be doing fairly well in Ork World.
When in doubt, C4. --- Jamie Hyneman

Offline Zandrael Exudaru

• Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
So, much like the person a few blocks up, the third ed. big box was my break-in point too, but rather than making a DE army at the time, I started on a DA army instead. Needless to say, the guy who was breaking me into 40k found it ironic that I gravitated to the Dark Angels when he swore by the Space Wolves. The first individual model purchase was Interrogator Chaplain Asmodai, though that same trip we also bought a case for carrying my minis and a Master of the Ravenwing. I fooled around with the Angels awhile, but eventually the other half of the boxed set won out. I'm now Zandrael Exudaru, Archon of the Kabal of Night's Terror.*Evil Grin* I've been out of the game for some while now, but the new Dark Eldar called out to me, and I couldn't refuse it.
Let us remind them why they should fear the night.

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
1987 with the 3rd edition and a box of Fantasy Warriors(?) which were 10 each of Dwarfs, Elves, Goblins, Skaven, Orcs and Dark Elves. I was then determined to build a Wood Elf cavalry army - they actually had elite knights and chariots back then. *sigh*

Then after while I found the background too depressing and Germanic and so swapped to 40k!  :o

The rulebook, a box of 8 metal Terminators and a couple of boxes of RT0B1 Space Marines and I was away...

Salamanders which were in Dark Angel colours back then and the apothecaries would paint their left arms red in honour of the blood of their fallen comrades.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
I was wondering the mall one day, saw GW, and didn't get anything- but it kept to the back of my mind. Many years later (we're talking from 4th ed-last year), decided over a long period of time to go Guard, got 12 models for Christmas, and that's that.
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline Eagels of the Saints

• Redemption for Alpharius and Omegon
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
OoO When I was 12 my friend who played Tyranids had a Carnifex and some Ork grots and we played our own little game of it. We did this for a while and I got hooked and looking through their sight I chose to play Space Marines. Have no clue why just wanted too, I think because there were like hero’s that you play as in games and watch in movies. So that Christmas I got assault on black reach. From then to now we have recruited 7 different people and races to play with us.

Offline The Last Melon

• ***PERSONALITY IS FOR THE GUARDSMEN***
  • Armies: Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »
In year 8 all of my friends had amassed enormous armies. At the time, about 4000 points apiece.  I played several games as Eldar (one of my friends had 2 armies) and I found that I loved the game.  But there was a tiny problem.  My parents refused to let me buy any.  I waited several years, and then a few months ago they gave in and let me get a box of Termagants (the first box they saw.  I'm lucky it was the right race, and not high elves or something like that), to try and bribe me into not getting video games...  It didn't work, but by the time that they'd figured that out, the one box of Termagants had turned into nearly 1500 points of Tyranids, so they figured there was no point in stopping me.

And that's me.   8) 'Nids all the way!

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
about 2 years ago my mates from the airforce were on holidays. i was hanging out with them and they were playing 40k. i joined in and i was like this is COOL! went to GW that day lol. i checked out the space wolves codex and i was sold. i left with a battleforce that very day. space age vikings that love to drink, eat, laugh and fight.

now i have multiple armies but space wolves are always my first love :)
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Spacefrisian

• This is no Zaku
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »
Cool looking miniatures caught my attention while i was looking for revel models, 1st box was the Blacktemplar vs Dark Eldar set, bought it with my nephew.
Prey i don't take you alive

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Stumbled across a wall of warhammer in the local games world. Already obsessed with Tolkien I got into Lotr. First box, Minas Tirith start set :)

Several years later, bought a tactical squad.

Offline smahama

• Turtles!
  • Armies: Eldar, Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »
It started at least 7-8 years ago when I asked my mom "what do badgers look like?" 

She told me to look it up on wikipedia.

In some fateful and odd event, badgers brought me to the Warhammer page, and I never looked back.

That is oddly terrific.
--

My brother was into the hobby when I was a young kid and years later I discovered that my now fiance was into it too. I bought him a Tyranid battle force and became interested in it myself after going to GW a bunch with him.

Offline Morphius Faydal

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Tau, Ultramarines
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
My first introduction to GW stuff was a friend who played CSM, and it really peaked my interest. So I bought the third edition boxed set (Marines and Dark Eldar) in about 2002 and started playing. I saw the Tau online around early '03 and fell in love, and bought Codex: Tau and some minis, and have been playing ever since. I don't have much in the way of models (few people to play with somewhat dampens the interest), but I've been playing when I can with who I can.