News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Theology, Philosophy and Religion  (Read 24423 times)

Offline taphos

Re:Theology, Philosophy and Religion
« Reply #40 on: October 3, 2003, 08:05:38 PM »
This is the same Bible which says that the world was created in 400BC, with these million year old carbon[b/]-fossils?

LOL... Funny story, today in chem lab, I squirted  liquidized(sp*)Carbon in my lab partners ear.

God was around before the Bible.....
"This is because complex concepts (a blood god that doesn't advocate mindless slaughter?) don't sell all that well to emo kids and wannabe punks, the people who seem most prone to playing Chaos." - Drongol (warseer)

Offline HarlequinSolitaire

• Not Sloataire or Solataire... Solitaire.
« Reply #41 on: October 4, 2003, 11:10:54 AM »
Yeah, but some nut figured out all the ages of all teh people in the Bible since Adam and Eve and worked out that, according to the Bible, the world is around 400yrs old.
'An eye for an eye, and soon the world is blind'

Ghandi

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
« Reply #42 on: October 4, 2003, 11:32:46 AM »
Yeah, but some nut figured out all the ages of all teh people in the Bible since Adam and Eve and worked out that, according to the Bible, the world is around 400yrs old.

So the world was created around AD1600?  The particular assessment you're speaking of, if I remember correctly, says the world was created around 4000 BC (rounded roughly), which would make it over 6000 years old.
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #43 on: October 4, 2003, 01:53:28 PM »
yes, I have also heard that.

That nut you knew of HS must have been crazy, Adam lived over 400 himself (if my memory serves me), so even if Jesus was born straight after him, the world had to be older.

Plus, how does a scientist know how old something is which nothing to compare against it.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #44 on: October 4, 2003, 02:10:22 PM »
No, according to the bible the world is 4000 years old. This is done by knowing how long ago Christ lived, and then counting backwards from him, down his family tree, to Adam. We know Methuselah, Adam and some others of his sort (Melchisedec excluded of course) lived for very very extended periods of time, up to a thousand years, but still, the world is, if you are a creationist, very very young.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

« Reply #45 on: October 4, 2003, 04:33:26 PM »
No, according to the bible the world is 4000 years old. This is done by knowing how long ago Christ lived, and then counting backwards from him, down his family tree, to Adam. We know Methuselah, Adam and some others of his sort (Melchisedec excluded of course) lived for very very extended periods of time, up to a thousand years, but still, the world is, if you are a creationist, very very young.

Ooook, my mistake, but that still leaves the dinosaur fossils floating in space for a few million years... ::)

Ghandi

Offline The All Powerful Oz

• Veni, vidi, vici.
« Reply #46 on: October 4, 2003, 04:42:26 PM »
The problem with the evolution theory are the missing links from dinosours to birds to primeates. Until they find the missing link the evolution theory can not be proven. The bible does mention a dinosour type animal in the book of Job I beleive.

The flood theory doesn't work either. Being as how there were dinosours that lived in the water and sea. Of course you could say "But Noah was supposed to have two of every animal." which isn't true. He was supposed to have two of every speices. Which means he could have two bulldogs and thats it to cover canine. The flood did happen though since so many cultures tell stories of it (Greeks, Indians or Native Americans, Aztecs, African cultures, Asian cultures).

According to the Adam and Eve therory, we all would be retards and deformed. Eve was made from Adam so there children would have to have children with there children and so on. Of course each set of parents would also have to pop out about ten kids each just to keep the generations going back then. Children also had very low expectences to survive also. So the Adam and Eve theory doesn't work either.

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #47 on: October 4, 2003, 04:46:56 PM »
Ah, but nothing is impossible for God...

• Veni, vidi, vici.
« Reply #48 on: October 4, 2003, 04:53:01 PM »
Nothing is impossiable for God... Lets have him have the United States government from coming up with so many taxes... Nope, don't think he can do that one.

Offline Steamboat Willy

• Warning Shots are for Woosies
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • Livejournal Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 4, 2003, 06:22:58 PM »

Try converting a billion or so muslims ;)

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #50 on: October 4, 2003, 06:55:47 PM »
Who, me or God???

::)

Offline Steamboat Willy

• Warning Shots are for Woosies
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • Livejournal Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 4, 2003, 07:25:29 PM »
Well you can try to make yourself god, all you need is an apparantly convincing (although contradicting with itself/common sense) book, some insecure/gullible people, and a loud voice to shout 'BURN THE UNBELEIVERS!!' (and 'Please give generously!')

and in true Blue Peter style, heres one I made earlier:

*produces a copy of the bible and smiles*

......and if you dont have the said book above, look on our website about that episode, hosted by JK Rowling, on how to write crap that people will none-the-less buy and like.  

(sorry to all you christians, no offence, i just couldn't resist it ;))

• Veni, vidi, vici.
« Reply #52 on: October 4, 2003, 09:58:02 PM »
Oh, i have a better one for god. Get some die hard Buddhist to change there faiths.

Offline Ilfirin Noore

• Ancient
  • Mess with the best, die like the rest...
« Reply #53 on: October 5, 2003, 12:01:43 AM »
Oz, bulldog is a species. Dog/canine is a genus. That means Noah would have had bulldogs, setters, labs, retrievers, etc etc. Not necessarily some generic "dog" from which all other canines were perpetuated.

Has anyone here heard of "creation science?" It's a new branch of science that tries to explain scientifically the things religion claims, while supporting religion as fully as possible. If anyone is big into this, let us know, it's interesting stuff.

Anyway, how is it that hardcore believers explain fossils?

A creation scientist might hypothesize that the seven days referred to in Genesis weren't Earth days of 24 hours etc etc. They would be much longer. Epochs, eras, or whatever. But they'd be more like many million years. Think of the seven days as "God days," which equate to extremely long periods of time on present day Earth. Now that I think about it, the term God days implies that God has a sense of time, and thus might not go on forever (just a super long time). For all of you hardcores, is there any direct reference to God's immortatlity in the Bible? Might it even be that God created the Heavens and Earth billions of Earth years ago (and let's assume a God day to be 1000 Earth years here), over 7000 years, and then aged, died and went to his heaven to preside over all from there as an immortal spirit?  And in the Adam and Eve story, it says God was walking in the Garden. This seems to refer to a physical form that Adam and Eve would hide from, supporting the above idea.
No Wild hockey makes Ilfirin a dull boy U of M hockey fan!

I could be weak, I could be senseless.
I could be just like you.
I could be fake, I could be stupid.
You know I could be just like you.

Help support the Biel-tan Project! Submissions are appreciated emailed or PMed to Ranger Asteria or myself!

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #54 on: October 5, 2003, 01:14:54 AM »

Try converting a billion or so muslims ;)

Philippians 2:9-11 RSVA--"Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Have patience.   ;)

T-A
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #55 on: October 5, 2003, 01:44:02 AM »
Anyway, how is it that hardcore believers explain fossils?
For all of you hardcores, is there any direct reference to God's immortatlity in the Bible?

1.  CSEE answered this briefly on page 3.

2.  Yes, there is plenty of reference to it.  First of all, there is a plenitude of references to eternal life, which is to be lived with God, thereby implying his eternality.  But that doesn't quite answer your question.  Here are a few select verses that are explicit regarding God.

Hebrews 9:14 RSVA  how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify your conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

1 Timothy 6:14-16 RSVA  I charge you to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ; and this will be made manifest at the proper time by the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality...

Romans 1:20-23 RSVA  Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made.  So they are without excuse; for although they knew God they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened.  Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or birds or animals or reptiles.

1 Timothy 1:15-17 RSVA  The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the foremost of sinners; but I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience for an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.  To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Romans 16:25-27 RSVA  Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret for long ages but is now disclosed and through the prophetic writings is made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith--to the only wise God be glory for evermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Genesis 21:33 RSVA  Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the Everlasting God.

Isaiah 40:28 RSVA  Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary, his understanding is unsearchable.

Jeremiah 10:10 RSVA  But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation.

And so on and so forth.  The Bible is full of such references.

T-A
« Last Edit: October 5, 2003, 01:45:13 AM by Tuisich-Anastari »

Offline Ilfirin Noore

• Ancient
  • Mess with the best, die like the rest...
« Reply #56 on: October 5, 2003, 01:51:41 AM »
Okay okay, I guess I had already gone in a circle by my own argument. But for arguement's sake, almost all of those refer to God's spirit as eternal. And the one from Timothy says Jesus is immortal, and yet it is specifically stated elsewhere (I'm not good at knowing where) that he was the mortal Son of the Father etc etc. Plus, Jesus died. Sure, his spirit is eternal, but that is true of everyone's spririt, correct? Even those sent to hell are for eternity. So by the logic here: 1) Jesus is immortal. + 2) Jesus body died, so this likely refers to immortal spirit. + 3) The Bible says everyone lives or suffers eternally (right?). = 4) Everyone is immortal.
No Wild hockey makes Ilfirin a dull boy U of M hockey fan!

I could be weak, I could be senseless.
I could be just like you.
I could be fake, I could be stupid.
You know I could be just like you.

Help support the Biel-tan Project! Submissions are appreciated emailed or PMed to Ranger Asteria or myself!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #57 on: October 5, 2003, 06:19:35 AM »
The problem with the evolution theory are the missing links from dinosours to birds to primeates. Until they find the missing link the evolution theory can not be proven.
The link between the lizards that became dinosaurs and what we have as birds today is well-documented by now. You are in the 80's, when it was still speculated about.
  Primates are drawn from a line (several lines) of insect-eating mammals that lived along-side the dinos for millions of years, but could not fill any ecological niches until the dinos were dead and gone, because that would have meant them becoming luch.
   Scientific theaory, and proof, moves. Fossil-records are updated every year. In 1998 the winged lizards that spawned birds was found. That's only five years back. No wonder most people haven't heard of it yet.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

« Reply #58 on: October 5, 2003, 08:06:52 AM »
God can't be all merciful, because there is no crime which deserves eternal suffering. Nothing. Because you would be suffering forever, and if any of you have any idea of eternity, you'd know that. Therefore, God is unjust.

Ghandi

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #59 on: October 5, 2003, 09:08:31 AM »
So God is not merciful in giving people a way out?

God is fair to people, why give a murderer a way out? Why not let him suffer, but keep the good ones?

God sent Jesus to die for sin, so that it can be forgiven, it is up the person whether the accept this...

Because you would be suffering forever, and if any of you have any idea of eternity, you'd know that.

If you had any idea about eterinty, and eternal suffering, you would be saving your immortal soul from it.