News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Removing Superglue  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
Removing Superglue
« on: February 7, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
I looked around for a post on this and wasan't able to find anything, but I do truely apologise if this has already been solved, it wasan't in any of the stickies or in my search results.

Does anybody here know a way to remove super glue without ungluing my entire model? I want to mangetically mount some stuff, but unfortunately I already glued it  >:(. I need to just be able to unstick the guns on my crisis suits and the like, so a jel\paint appliable substance really would be best.

Thanks!
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Agent of Change

• Ork Boy
  • It's not how much dakka, It's who doesn't survive!
Re: Removing Superglue
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2008, 12:37:31 AM »
This subject has in fact been disscussed in the past but i'll summarize here.

There have been many suggestions to solve this problem, I have tried most of them and sadly none of my attempts have been very successful.  I will give a list and my results of the ones i recall off the top of my head.

1.  Brake fluid: well it works wonders on removing paint, it's plastic safe, and you you can soak any model in it for. well months without any loss of detail and paint comes of with a stiff toothbrush.  As far superglue removal, once you break apart a metal model you can scraping it off fairly easily after several days of soaking but it doesn't dissolve and i haven't had any luck loosening joints or makign for easier removal of super glue from plastics.  Also a note on brake fluid, any thing you soak must be wash with hot water and soap (i use dish soap because it breaks it down quickly) to a remove any toxicity from the model and b to be able to get paint to stick to it.

2. nail Polish remover:  Roughly the same results for metal models only once the model has been broken down and soaked it makes the glue slightly easier to remove.  On plastics... well it wil render a plastic space marine into a guey much in about an hour or 2... at that point whether or not it deals with the glue at that point is pretty moot.

3.  Paint thinner:  see Nail polish remover

4.  Rubbing alcohol: a friend of mine tried this and said "i don't reccomend it" to be fair i'm not sure what his results are but he cares about his models so take that or leave it.

To be quite honest i haven't heard of or run across anything that can reliably dissolve/remove super glue from any model and at the very least not from plastics safely.  I'm sorry to say but the best method i've had to use is carefully seperating and scraping plastic with a hobby knife.  It sucks but that's the best i can tell ya.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles.
___________________ _______________
Blood Angels: still fighting for the Imperium and not Khorne...  Really.
Da Boyz iz wierd, Da Boyz iz mad, Da Boyz iz 'ere, WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!
"Unprotected FAQing gave me Codex Herpes"

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
I always use a hobby knife.

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
If you painted the mini and don't want to strip the entire thing try putting it in the freezer for a few hours.  The metal mini and glue will contract differently and weaken the bond.  You should be able to, carefully, pull it apart. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.