News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Electrodisplacement under ITC rules  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Electrodisplacement under ITC rules
« on: December 1, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
I know this isn't the norm, and that we usually just focus on the RAW from the BRB, but there has been a discussion at my LGS about how Electrodisplacement should work under the ITC tournament rules.

For those that aren't aware, the ITC FAQ says this on Electrodisplacement:
Quote from: ITC Tournament FAQ
Electrodisplacement: the target(s) of this power may not charge after using the Electrodiscplacemen t psychic power. Further, if the target unit(s) were locked in close combat, after being transported by Electrodiscplacemen t must be placed at least 1” away from enemy models and are no longer locked in combat.

The argument is whether or not you are allowed to charge after using Electrodisplacement .  The guy I am having this discussion with at my LGS has said that ITC ruled that no units can charge after swapping, whereas I was under the impression that it was only the Librarian's unit that had the restriction.  So I went to the ITC website, and what I quoted above was what I found to answer.

Now, my group is primarily composed of hardcore, rules lawyering, tournament players.  Which means, for us, it really does come down to the exact wording of an FAQ and how it can be interpreted.  So, when I look at the above FAQ answer in conjunction with the power, I am lead to believe that the only unit that is not allowed to charge is the unit that is targeted.  With how the power is worded, the unit that is targeted is not the psyker's unit.  Therefore, the psyker and his unit can charge in the turn you use Electrodisplacement because they were not the target of the spell.

I just want to make sure I am not the only person that is interpreting this FAQ ruling in this manner from a purely RAW perspective.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Electrodisplacement under ITC rules
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2016, 07:17:38 AM »
Hey GML, I'm an avid Signals from the Frontline listener (hosted by the creators of the ITC) and I can tell you that NOBODY can assault out of terrain shifted by that power. I remember when they discussed that on the podcast. The reasons why are to limit the already devastating Space Marine superfriend deathstars (and others) from getting into turn 1 assaults. If you go through their podcasts you can find the ITC FAQ final vote episode where they discuss all the issues. Actually I think its worth listening to the one where they present the issues and then follow up when they discuss the voting results.

Yeah so to be clear nobody can assault out of the electro-shifted terrain.

However the guys at Frontline (the ITC creators) are super interactive. You can email them, hop into their social media sites (FB, blog post comments, forum, etc) and they'll be happy to answer you directly.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
That is part of my issue.  They have clarified this on their podcast, but haven't updated their FAQ.  So, as a tournament goer who doesn't listen to podcasts, do I take someone's word for it that they made that clarification, or do I go by what is written in their official tournament package FAQ?

Like I said, we are rules lawyers.  If I can take a poorly worded ruling like that and make it work for me, I will because I can guarantee you that me using Electrodisplacement to slingshot a unit of Custodes into the enemy lines is going to be the least powerful list at the tournament.

Also, the power you are thinking of that moves terrain is Shifting Worldscape, which ITC has flat out banned from use.  Electrodisplacement is the power that allows you to swap places between two units.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »
Yeah they've been waiting to update the FAQ so they can include the finalized GW FAQ in their final update before the LVO. Annoying but makes sense considering its their flagship event and they got people flying from all the over the world to attend (including GW).

As far as Rules Lawyering I mean if thats the way you guys roll, the ITC doesnt value RAW over balance and go out of their way to make that clear. The ETC on the other hand does which might be a better system for you if there is contention over the issue. ETC is about as hardcore as it gets. That being said the ITC is really only a guide line allowing independent tournament organizers to use as much or as little of the ITC FAQ and mission design as they like. So if your group wants to play a rule a certain way, or allow units like the Tau'nar or other various things not allowed in the ITC, you can always put it to a vote in your own group and that totally jives with the rules of the ITC.

EDIT: Just listening to Signals from the Frontline just now.... wanted to make an amendment to what I said.... when I said they skew towards "balance" what I should have said is they skew towards toning down extreme combinations and extreme style of play... so as to increase appeal to a broader demographic of players. Thats a stated goal... sorry to use the term "balance" because balance is such a vague concept

As for the psychic power in question, sorry I messed that one up. You know I'm not actually sure what the ruling was on that. Like I said you should check out that podcast where they go point by point over the vote and what it means to ITC play. As I mentioned the final ITC FAQ has been in a holding pattern till GW released their final FAQ so they could get everything aligned for the LVO. I'd checkout that podcast for additional clarification, or just put it to a vote in your group. The vote is the way the ITC handles all contentious issues.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2016, 09:09:34 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/