News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 eldar/ iyanden  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Rx8Speed

1850 eldar/ iyanden
« on: March 4, 2015, 11:21:54 PM »
this is an iyanden army. i'll probably make a farseer the warlord.
farseer: bike, spear, mantle
farseer: bike, spear,wraithforge stone

5 wraithguard: d scythes
wave serpent: holofields, scatter laser, shuriken cannon

11 guardians: starcannon
wave serpent: holofields, scatter laser, shuriken cannon

3 jetbikes: shuriken cannon

crimsom hunter exarch
7 warp spiders
7 warp spiders

wraithknight
2 warwalkers: scatter laser + starcannon, holofields

what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:19:32 AM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: 1850 eldar/ iyanden
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2015, 03:08:04 AM »
I like it! But it reads more like a Saim Hann army. Which is still great.

I take it you're gonna put 1 of the seers with the jetbikes and run the other where he is needed. Backing up the knight is a great thing, I learned this recently.

To me, I don't run guardians, I would use those points somewhere else. the shurcannon is nice but T3 5+ sv, ehh. But that's me.

Don't forget the WW ability to arrive and mess up someones back lines. I use scats and bright lances for this. Gives troop and armor killing. Yes the shurcannon is high strength but good against low armor, those friskey land raiders just laugh.

Please post a bat rep and let us know how you do.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2015, 03:10:51 AM »
That list look pretty nasty to me.  You have pretty tought army, yet extremely mobile spyder + bikes + serpent + wraithknight.

There is only one thing i have trouble with: it's the mantle farseer. I know with bikes it gives a 2+ cover save but if your opponents have ignore cover shot then he is a goner. I would rather have him on foot with the wraithguards or into an other bike squad. I believe mantle is quite costy point wise so shoving that and maybe getting one les guardian or one less shurican you should have the point for the bikes squad.  That is only my opinion sooo for you to see.
Maybe you could get yourself a spirit seer rather than a farseer but i'm trully not sure about that one.

Great list, good luck and have fun

Keep us updated on how you do^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2015, 07:04:01 AM »
I don't see the need for two Farseers on bikes. I would drop one of them for a spiritseer so that your Wraithguard are scoring. I would fit the Iyanden theme more as well.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
one of gw crazy moments.  eldar hqs can all have bikes - except spirit-seers !

imo holofields on walkers are a bit too pricey - they get a 5+ iv anyway and with battle focus should get a 4+ cover if youre lucky

ive run a mantle guide seer before - useful for getting better shooting out of the wraithknights

not sure what your other one is really going to do - you might be better with a spiritseer for the wraith  and twiddle a few points around for an extra walker - it only loses you one warp charge dice - though you might be looking for 6 goes at invisibility ?  good luck with that !

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
My plan was actually to have the two farseers joined as a unit so they both benefit from the 2+ cover save of the mantle. They'll also be trying to take down vehicles that get too close or hunting rear armor with the singing spears. I wanted double guide in the army and then 4 rolls on telepathy. That way I have 3 dice to roll for each guide and then the extra dice for shrouding or invisibility, both are really good for keeping the wraithknight alive. And if I don't get that I'll have two psychic shrieks which can be pretty devastating. I was even thinking about taking at least one prescience too so I can give up to 3 units re-rolls to hit per turn. I could see prescience being good on warp spiders. I'm not too sure about spirit seers. I've run one before and it was pretty good for giving the wraithguard objective secured. But I find that with their guns objective secured isn't a big deal because they can just annihilate any troops competing for the objective. I like the farseers over spiritseers because they can start casting guide and what not right from turn 1 which helps with the alpha strike this army is so dependant on

And I will definitely be posting a battle report once I use this army. It probably won't be this weekend unfortunately but more likely the weekend after

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
Re-read your rules for the Mantle. Your idea doesn't work the way you want it to which is why I suggested dropping one of them.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
the farseer without the mantle still has his independent character status and is free to join with the other farseer if he chooses regardless of whether the other farseer is an independent character or not. This is how it's rule it where I play

also about the holofields on the warwalkers. I'm starting to side with you about dropping them, I just liked the idea of 3++ all around lol but I could definitely do something with those 30 points. Anyone tried them with holofields?
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 01:02:59 PM by Rx8Speed »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I would drop one of the farseer's and pop a spiritseer in with the wraith Guard unit, the extra troop unit is handy.

I would also drop the holo's from the war walkers, if you have enough points, take 3 instead of two. I would also swap out the Shuriken cannons on these for the starcannons, the extra range will be helpful (and AP). You could also take Brightlances (with scats) as you are likely to face AV13

I would consider taking a scatter laser with the Guardians as you'll want to get as many hits in as you can before they get shredded by return fire.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 09:26:11 PM by magenb »

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
Interesting.

Re-reading the Mantle of the Laughing God, it just says he loses IC status. Looking at the BRB, IC's are still allowed to join a unit of 1 model, so long as it isn't a vehicle or MC.

So by the rules, the Farseer becomes a unit of one model, and the other Farseer can join him, to benefit from the 2+ re-roll, as well as Hit & Run.

I would very tempted to pick up a Mantle Autarch, attach a Farseer, run them right at my opponents face T1 and drop a summoned unit, and then split off as necessary T2.

In the troops section, I am also curious to know how the guardians are played. With my Eldar, I tend to take 10 guardians no upgrades, and use them as a screening and objective-taking unit, without wasting points on a heavy weapon. If anybody shoots them, its either a mistake (taking shots from somewhere else), or they arent able to shoot anything else (so a mistake on my part).

Also, on the War-Walkers front, you always want to get the 36" range where possible, it makes Battle Focus much more useful, as you can hang around right at the edge of range.

And one thing I was wondering about is are you able to give Holo-Fields to just one walker in a squadron? Ghostwalk Matrix requires all models to equip, but it doesnt say this for holo-fields.

Lastly, the Crimson Hunter exarch is a boatload of points, I would definitely recommend using the model to stand in for a Nightwing instead. With Agile & Shrouding, it has a 5+ cover save without even Jinking, and then this improves to a ludicrous 2+, and the thing only costs 145.

Would love to hear more about how this army plays out.

Cheers
Ibushi

Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
mmm. that sounds like a dodgy trick on the mantle ... will check that one out !

squadrons in 5th used to have to take the same upgrades - not sure about 7th ! - you can certainly mix up weapons

personally with just one bike squad of objective stealers i'd drop the cannon so youre not tempted to expose them

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
The warwalkers each have the holofields. I was thinking of splitting them into two squads too. The only thing is that they can't see through eachother if they aren't in a squadron

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
Going to be playing with this army against imperial guard this weekend. Any more advice before the big game? Especially on how to use my warp spiders against them

I don't really want to use spirit seers because it is not exactly an iyanden army, it's an ulthwe army that wants the wraithforge stone :P Sounds dirty but until they come out with an ulthwe supplement I don't feel too bad about it lol

@dread For the guardians I usually use them as a kamikaze nut cracker unit. They pretty much have to be supported with guide. If you can doom their target too then you are set up really nicely to kill stuff. These guys jump out, kick the opponent in the balls and then get squished by literally anything that shoots at them. Generally I go for high priority targets because these guys are really packing a LOT of firepower. Target priority is key and they should be getting their points back in every game their serpent isn't shot down. Also I try to pop them out near cover so they can take advantage of battle focus and get themselves a cover save and a chance of surviving the next turn
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:29:36 PM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
I updated the army list. basically got rid of the holofields on the warwalkers and added an extra spider to one of the units and gave the mantle seer spirit stone of anath'lan since I plan on giving him prescience. That way I'll have 2 guides + 1 prescience at WC 1. Prescience for wraithknight, guide for warp spiders and guardians

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
See, you can teach old dogs new tricks. That is a brilliant use of them, I wish I'd thought of that. Just may have to take that to my next game and give it a go. I've been so stuck on the wraith guard army, everything else just kinda blurred to me. I like it, a sound use for them and will also draw fire from some of more better units.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
You should! It kind of goes against eldar fluff... sacrificing the citizens and all... but hey it works!

Offline Caercuillen

• Is your initiative faster then Elf? No, that sucks
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
Since your using the Iyanden Supplement why not make your Wraithknight your Warlord?
Q
Also do you feel the Holo-fields are a good buy on the WS? I know I never jinx with them, but I suppose if you have them in cover its a 4++ instead.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:44:08 AM by Caercuillen »
I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:45 PM »
oh yeah holofields are a good buy every time. I find I jink quite a bit actually, especially if the unit is still inside. It's better than losing the serpent that's for sure. You can put them in 4++ cover for a 3++ if you don't mind risking a dangerous terrain test. Their guns are still decent even when snap firing. Especially if you can hit with the scatter laser. In my list they're primary role is as a transport and the holofields help A LOT with that. My wraithguard nearly always make it into range. If I were only transporting min da squads and using the waveserpent as a gun boat that is a different story, but even still +1 cover save is still useful.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
heys guys i played this game yesterday against imperial guard. i used the list frlm the firstnpost but the waraalkers had no holofields and and i gave one of them bright lances. they were alsp separate squads. i added a warp spider and gave the farseer the spirit stone.
the game went well even though we ran out of time after my urn 3.
his list was something like:
2 lvl 2 psykers and a lvl 1
lord comissar and everyone had vox
veterans in a chimera
2 leman russ
1 basilisk
30 man unitnof guards
2 lascannon weapon teams
1 missile launcher weapons team
defense line with quad gun
2 sentinels with multi lasers
2 outflanking scout sentinels with multilasers

I went first and my alpha strike was pitiful. i killed two guardsmen with an eldritch storm and put a hp on a chimera and 2 hps on a basilisk. also i rolled doubles for movement on both warp spider squads. His first turn wasn't stellar either. he put 5 wounds!! on the wraith knight. and he also killed the bright lance warwalker by disembarking his veterans and shooting at the walkers. he also put a hp on each waveserpent and they were  both snap firing. we each were holding two objectives by the end of this turn and neither of us completed any maelstrom cards.

second turn i charged a leman russ with the wraith knight. failed to get prescience on him but destroyed it anyway. one unit of spiders shot and charged the veterans killing a just 3 and losing 1 in return. tie combat. the other squad shot at the sentinels and did nothing to it (pitiful rolling on my part and cover saves saving him). they did however move up to the objective the sentinels were holding and contested it. the flyer came i  and blew up one of those sentinels. the wave serpents blew up the basilisk. the farseer gave the wraithknight fortune and a wound back. In his second turn he deleted the warp spiders cintesting his objective wih the chimera and remaining sentinel. I rolled 3 2s and a 1 for armor saves against the heavy flamer. the other warp spider squad beat the veterans in combat and ran them down finishing their consolidation in the rear armor of the chimera. he finally blew up the wraithknight who absorbed A LOT of fire power. The waveserpents jinked and the guardian serpent took a second hp from the outflanking sentinel shooting at its rear armor. he also blew up my other war warwalker but j forget how. Still no maelstrom points.

in my turn i still had just 2 objectives and 4 cards so i didnt generate more. Thr warp spiders blew up the chimera and then ran/ assault moved to the objective hat the other squad got blown from, contesting it with the lone sentinel. I moved my farseers intk his deploymemt zonee and fired their shuriken catapults at the the weapkns team joined by 2 of his psykers and general. i managed to kill a couple of them. then the flyer shot at the same unit, popping a weapons team and both psykers. I got a vp for killing the psyker. then my farseers charged in and i got a vp for issuing a challenge. And i killed his warlord. so 2 more vps. The farseers alsi managed to cast guide on the guardians who hoppednout of their waveserpent this turn and doom on the 3o man blob of guardsmen. i got something like 15 wounds through and he went ground and saved every single one. then the wraithguard killed 11 frkm the hnjt (all that was in range) and annihilated a weapons team that was on a second floor and the last psyker. We ran out of time at this point with me in the lead. We analysed whether or not he could have caught up and it was impossible for him tk cat hbup jn his next turn. maybe late game he could have caugbt up but we had to call it a soft victory for eldar

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Thanks  for the battle report, gg for your victory even if soft, I'm looking forward to see how this list does in you next match then.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member