News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Monster List  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Joekle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1500pt Monster List
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO I think I have it! I spoke to an old friend of mine and he came up with a cracker of a list, here it is:
HQ
Hive tyrant, Sything talons, Twinlinked devourer with brainleech worms, Wings 245

Troops
10x Termagaunts 50
Tervigon, Catalyst, Adrenal glands, Toxin sacs, 195

Fast Attack
Harpy HVC 170
Harpy HVC 170
Harpy Cluster spines 160

Heavy Support
Mawloc
Mawloc
Mawloc

Total 1500pts

8 MCs! Troops than can score and a wicked plan: Flyers have to start in reserve so Hive tyrant and harpys are off the table at the start Opt to keep tervigon and termagaunts as reserves and setup the 3 Mawlocs as the only thing on the table in turn one. BURROW leaving your opponent nothing to shoot at for a turn! Turn 2 ATTACK!

Original post below in italics
Ok so I've never played with Tyranids before but I'm thinking about starting a new 40k army and I was chatting to someone the other day who said that the nids could get 17 monstrous creatures into a list which is pretty insane! That got me thinking, so I set out making this list with some specific objectives in mind.
1. As many monstrous creatures as you can fit into 1500pts
2. As few models as possible that aren't monstrous creatures
3. Holding objectives? eh no eating the enemy army is the objective!
4. something that has a chance of working and winning?

In the end I managed 8 MCs

HQ
Hive Tyrant Armoured Shell 210 (Taking Biomancy for Iron arm and endurance hopefully)

Troops (I toyed with the idea of Termies and Tervigon but decided that it would involve too many non-MC models plus buying and painting)
3xRipper Swarm 30
3xRipper Swarm 30

Fast Attack
Harpy Twin linked Heavy Venom Cannon 170
Harpy Twin linked Heavy Venom Cannon 170
Harpy

Heavy Support
3x Carnifex Brood Regeneration 555 (with this I'm hoping to take a couple of wounds on each thus maximising the chance of regeneration eg with 2 wounds on each i will get 6 regeneration rolls)

Mawloc

Total 1495pts

So what do you think? Any suggestions/changes? Can you fit in another MC? Will this list work?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:27:06 AM by Joekle »

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
Re: 1500pt Monster List
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
How were you planning on holding Objectives? Unless swarms score this edition...
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Joekle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
You obviously didnt read point 3

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
Pretty much you're going to get shot and die.  Soz.

You'll kill a handful of things, but you aren't going to steamroll anything off the table, which is your only option of winning (unless your Tyrant gets lucky and becomes a scoring unit).  You'll push a few ties here and there, but on the whole the army won't do much.

You don't even have synapse for the Harpies, and they Lurk.

Khira'lyth

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
It will be hard to make a viable mc only army in 6th with such an emphasis on scoring units.  I'm not even sure how to make a viable list without troop tervigons, let alone no troops (no, rippers do not count as they cannot even score).

Offline Joekle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:30:13 AM »
hmm thanks for the input guys, I think troop tervigons might be the way to go for an MC list then If you dont think this list will steam roller (i was toying with the idea but as I said above getting more monstrous creatures in as the priority)

Harpys btw have the highest leadership possible so will not be failing their instinctive behaviour test very often so i dont think thats a big issue!

Offline CDN

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
I know you want to run a MC list but with your troops choose why not warriors and im base this off of looks.  Warriors are a good size models and you dont have to run alot of them.  If i had to run a fun hard hitting MC list.

HQ: Hive tyrant with Wings.

TP: 2 units of 6 Warriors go with Deathspitter and VemonCannon

FA: 6 Raveners with Rending Claws

HV: 2 units of 2 Carnifex with Frag Spines and maybe a Heavy Vemon Cannon
       1 Mawloc
The Heroic Code:  Always excel and outdo the others and don't make your ancestors ashamed.

Offline Joekle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
updated list above!

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »
8 MCs! Troops than can score and a wicked plan: Flyers have to start in reserve so Hive tyrant and harpys are off the table at the start Opt to keep tervigon and termagaunts as reserves and setup the 3 Mawlocs as the only thing on the table in turn one. BURROW leaving your opponent nothing to shoot at for a turn! Turn 2 ATTACK!

Doesn't it say in the rule book somewhere that if at any moment a player has no models on the table they auto lose?

I also might recomend getting 3 units of 3-4 warriors for your troops.  First, they looks like mini MCs and second they can provide synapse coverage for your harpies.

Even just leaving them with talons and devourers would be fine because the bulk of  your power would be in your MCs.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:52:43 AM »
Technically it's if you have no models left at the END of your turn.

So you have your reserve rolls on turn two to desperately try and bring in some reinforcements.

Flyers definitely have to start in reserve but I'm not sure if flying monstrous creatures do. They'll only count as gliding until their first movement phase if they can, though.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Joekle

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
Damn it I think your right if I have no models on the table at the end of my first turn the other guy wins :(

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
yeh flying MC's start on the board and first turn decide to fly or glide. unless ofcouse you choose to deep strike them or place them in reserves. but they can all start on the board. :)
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
yeh flying MC's start on the board and first turn decide to fly or glide. unless ofcouse you choose to deep strike them or place them in reserves. but they can all start on the board. :)

That would be rather epic to see.  Nothing by flying MC charging towards your line.  *shivers*
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.