News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Welcome all Newcomers!  (Read 177165 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Welcome all Newcomers!
« Reply #3240 on: October 3, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
Welcome :).

Please take a look at the forum rules, and then come and join us in discussions on the Eldar board.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3241 on: October 7, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
Hi there Garm. There was a time when some users of this site would have greeted you by offering to rip your heart out in the field of battle but alas those halycon days have gone. Not having a role playing bone in my body all I can offer is "welcome to the site" Don't let the occasional site slow down put you off.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Expendable Guardsman

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3242 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Hello all,i am new here but not new to Warhammer 40K.

As you can tell,im a guardsmen,and while im expendable by nature im more so then any other guardsman in entire regiment.
Most people aren't sure if the Emperor has a sense of humor,but i do,and let me tell you is it a dark one.
As a guardsman in the Vostroyan Firstborn,it is my duty to make sure i pay back the rest of the imperium for my home worlds refusal to aid in the Heresy
And i think the Emperor has chosen me to do much more than that,because for whatever reason,every time i fall in battle i simply rise again several days latter to retreat*BLAM*i mean advance in the direction of friendly lines to return to active service.
The first time this happened was odd,because i was tried for heresy by the regimental commissar,executed,and simply returned to life in a body bag before they could ship me out.They tried this several times again,and ever time i came back,eventually they got sick of it and just said it was the work of the emperor and not that of the gods of chaos,and returned me with las-rifle in hand to the trenches.

So you see,i am the most expendable guardsman alive,because i am the only one the commander never has to worry about loosing...which just gives him an excuse to slap a melta gun in my hand and tell me to charge those tanks,or some other stupid plan that would get me killed.The joys of being immortal,though no matter how many times i tell them,they just don't understand that while i won't stay down because of it,it still FRAKING HURTS to take a las-cannon to the face to save a tank

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3243 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
Welcome!

Take a gander at the forum rules, and then dive right in. We promise not to claim your skull for Khorne right away.  ;)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3244 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
Hi Expendable, nice intro. Are you a fan of Captain Jack Harkness by any chance?
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Mithrarias

• Windrider of Gaia
    • Universo Asur
  • Armies: Eldar, Blood Angels
« Reply #3245 on: February 1, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
Hi all!

Although not new to the forum, I've been away for a long, long time, so I though that introducing myself once again was the correct way. Some big changes in my life pushed me away from the hobby some time ago, but now I am back and wishing to the develop and enjoy the hobby once again. I hope I can learn from all your experience and maybe sharing my little one.

Best regards.

P.S.: Sorry if anytime my English is not the very best. I'm afraid it is a bit rusty.
¡¡¡Ú-dano i faelas a hyn, an uben tanatha le faelas!!! (Show them no mercy for you shall receive none!)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3246 on: February 1, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Welcome back Mithrarias hope you managed to keep hold of all your models whilst you have been away. Don't worry about your English it is a lot better than my Spanish.

Offline Padaxes

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3247 on: April 8, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
Hi, recently got back into gaming after about 10 years. Living in Ireland. Very old. Mediocre painter. Terrible tactician. Must try harder.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3248 on: April 8, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3249 on: April 9, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »
Welcome everybody! Ask your questions in the appropriate forums and we'll do our best to help you!

Check out the battle reports board, too--see how the game is played by others and refine your tactics!

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3250 on: April 14, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »
Hi all.

I used to play 40k with Eldar a long time ago... back in 2nd and 3rd edition mostly. Then I followed i pretty decently, but stopped having time to play. I picked up some Sisters of Battle in a more recent edition, as well as the rule book, but never really got a chance to take them out for a spin. I enjoyed the models and painting (though I wasn't half as talented as I'd like), but all the flyers and forgeworld stuff coming into popular use at that time was somewhat disconcerting to me. Eventually I put it up again.

The price was pretty steep and hard to justify (personally). After all, I wasn't getting any gaming use out of it, and I didn't really have the space (or desire) to turn my apartment into a public showcase for a bunch of nuns with guns that had been painted, at the very best, with a healthy dose of mediocrity.

I haven't done much since then, although I've kept on lurking and following along.

The new Eldar release coming up has me pretty excited though, so I thought I'd sign up and say hi. Those models look cool. And harlequins are back again! I also thought I'd ask you guys if you felt it was at all wise to get on that bandwagon and pick some up, or if you think I'm simply fooling myself through the liberal use of nostalgia into spending (wasting?) a few hundred dollars on pretty minis for a game that I'll probably not get to play much (and that, if I did get to play, I might not like all that much in the first place - I found the start of flyers and forgeworld pretty disconcerting at the time, and it seems like it's turned into an even more "anything goes" sort of format of late).

My understanding is also that GW has sort of drawn back on letting it's stores be used as places of gaming? Any insight there? Because if I did get games in, that's certainly the only hope I'd have of doing it. Brick and Mortar stores may be a bit old fashioned now but, honestly, I'd never have gotten into this game without the in-store support/community building that used to go on there. Otherwise I'd just have been collecting a bunch of (imo) gorgeous but vastly overpriced models with some fun pulp fiction on the side.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3251 on: April 15, 2015, 06:05:39 AM »
Welcome to 40K Online :).

One of the reasons why I don't play any more is because of the very issue you mention, the increasing tendency towards 'anything goes'.  It's important to note that if your friends or local gaming group isn't into flyers, knights, or titans, you can still play 40K with just infantry and vehicles.  It's the people you game with who, along with you, set the parameters of how you play the game, so if you are interested in playing some games again, but don't want the table to be dominated by flyers and knights, then see if you can find some like minded people who will play the game that way :).

Regarding the Eldar and Harlequins, you've picked the right time to get back into them, and if you like the models, why not invest in a few?  I understand your point about wanting to get some use out of them, but even if you can't play any games for the moment, you might still want to get some if you like the modelling and painting side of the hobby.  It doesn't matter if your painting is mediocre by the way.  It's all about whether you enjoy it.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3252 on: April 15, 2015, 06:41:46 AM »
Welcome :D

Well personnally with ly studies going i don't have much time to play either but i like having all my minis on my desk gradually getting painted. Sooo if you want to get back into the hobby give it a go^^ i'm sure that you will find sole people to paly at some point ^^. As irisado said you guy's are setting the rules for your games, so see with your opponents to adapt things. Personnally I love flyer cause they are cool looking ^^ i want to play an army of full flyer one day^^ Just for the fun of it.
And when i cna't play i look at the battle report read the things in here, etc. You can always find something to do when it comes to 40k related.

Havz fun and looking forward to be talking with you.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3253 on: April 15, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
My understanding is also that GW has sort of drawn back on letting it's stores be used as places of gaming? Any insight there? Because if I did get games in, that's certainly the only hope I'd have of doing it.

Hi Temperance and welcome to 40konline

Whilst I can't speak for your actual store what I can tell you is that my local GW allows pick up games and even runs campaigns and modelling and painting competitions.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3254 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »
Welcome to the site Temperance!  :)

My own LGS still offers pick up games, runs campaigns, offers painting tutorials etc.  Just today it proved it's worth when the manager gave me an awesome tip on what to do about the canopies of my Valkyries.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3255 on: April 15, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
[Use White glue, instead of modelling glue? ;) ]

Welcome aboard! In the past, GW has had a way of letting things get out of hand, before reigning things back in. I expect that 8th edition will be such a stroke.

I can't recall if it was 3-4 edition, or 4-5 edition, there were codices where complete and total customization of armies seemed to be the idea. Everyone had every weapon / upgrade imaginable. And then they cut it back. Made things more streamlined, everyone lost a bunch of options. That is hopefully happening again. Unbound, multi-FOC, multiple source army building... what it does is make it legal to run an army comprised of a few models from each Faction. Yay, I'm power-gaming! What-have-you. Allies lets you buy two half-forces, neither of which comprises an army in its own right...

8th Edition: No multi-source armies! The cries go out! "But I can't play either of these forces at a size I want, unless I buy more models! My models aren't a cohesive force, I'll never play 40k again!" But then people realize that they're pretty much pot-commited. So they go out an buy a few more units, and they buy a few more special weapon duders. And yes, all those PF Sergeants that everyone used in 5th edition became mostly useless in 6/7th edition, so they bought some new dudes without combat upgrades, or made some Power Sword guys because getting plinked in a challenge because you strike last is not good.

GW lets you play whatever you want, for a while. They're in the business of selling models, not games, according to their public policy. But all of a sudden, game balance is important to them again, so while you might have bought hundreds of dollars worth of candy to play with, now you need some veggies if you want to play the game still. So people go out and buy veggies... you know... the models that aren't as fun, but you need them to fulfill win conditions [IE: Troops in 5th edition, with a Transport.] so you buy them. Except now, you've got two half-armies. So you do that for two armies, not just one!

So anyhow, I hope you'll see a less loosey-goosey edition the next time around. Based on 6-7'ths turn around, that should be in a few months. ;) I'm personally pot-commited to 40k. Too many years and too many paycheques into it to go elsewhere, and my gaming group is much the same. I currently have a near-weekly matchup with a friend that likes White Scars and a pair of Knights. I'm playing a lot more 40k lately than I have since high school, and it's a frustrating experience to say the least. I'm desperately hoping that 8th, when it comes, brings some structure back to the game. I keep trying to find a way to play, "the way I like" within this framework, but am having a great deal of difficulty so far. I'm considering some 3-Codex options of Imperial Guard, Inquisition, and Blood Angels to see if I can coble together a Frankenstein's Monster of dead parts to make a working whole. *shrug*

It's hear-say and slander, but I hear that other games are easier to get into, financially, and that they have rising popularity because the companies treat them a little less like money-sponges to wring out at their leisure. So if you aren't deep into 40k yet, you might be interested in other Table Top games. Just throwing it out there. 40k can still be fun, just depends on your expectations.

*** Which is not to say you shouldn't give 40k a shot! Just keep your options open, is all I'm saying. Eldar are rumoured to be getting a new dex in the foreseeable future, so if you're buying models, maybe keep it towards things you like, and would use regardless of if they're good or not. Poke around here a bit, the Eldar are a pretty active board here. ***
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:41:18 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3256 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
Actually, it was Khorne Red, to give it the tinted glow.  ;D

Offline Ricus

• For the Hive Mind !
  • Armies: Tryanids
« Reply #3257 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
Hellooooooo everyoooone !
I'd like to introduce myself ! I'm Ricus and i come from the south of France (this can explain the fact that my english can be sometimes bad, i apologize in advance for that  8) ). I didn't play 40k since many years but a few weeks ago i discovered (again) my army ! I'm playing Tyranids, i'll try to present them in the blog section.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3258 on: June 17, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
Welcome to the site Ricus. I look forward to seeing your Tyranid stuff as it will make a pleasant change to all the Eldar info. Care to explain the reigniting of your Tyranid Interest?

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3259 on: June 17, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
Hello and welcome Ricus. :)