News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GML's Harlies  (Read 14996 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: GML's Harlies
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »
Perfect, love the canopy blend and the fins. Colors work great together.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
The final two Skyweavers are complete.

And that means you guys are the first to see the whole army painted at one time!

Yeah, I know... not a great picture.  But it's the idea that counts lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
hey there that's some sweet looking army you got there:D  that should make for some really cool things on the table. Looking forward to you ingame pics ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 06:54:16 PM »
That looks amazing! I cannot wait to watch our harlequins fight head to head one of these days (I still have loads to paint lol)
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Got a game in tonight and it feels so good to have a fully painted force on the table again.  Easy to distinguish units now and damn, it looks good!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 02:02:59 AM »
I'll bet that feels good. Been awhile for me too. I finished up my GK last year, all painted, then I bought some more and now have to get them done as well. But right now, Harli's all the way.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »
Well I never fielded a fully painted army yet so I will have to wait for this to finish my own army but just having a few painted really feel good!

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
Well, the tournament was today and it was a complete blast!  Played four great games and had a lot of fun running the Harlequins.  There were 22 people who came out, which helped when it came to the prize support.  One of the highlights of the day was winning the prize for Best Sportsman and receiving a $90 gift certificate to the store, which isn't bad for a $25 entry fee! 

What really made my night was finding out I placed second for the Best Painted Army.  Now, it wasn't close between myself and the guy that won first, but I have never even been in the consideration before, so that was very vindicating to know that all of my hard work was worth it.  The guy who won had a fully converted Iron Warriors army, with a corrupted Imperial Knight that was reposed to look as if it were sprinting across the battlefield.  He is a good friend of mind and his army is absolutely gorgeous.

Unfortunately, I totally forgot to snap some in game shots.  I blame GBT because he had to bail at the last minute.

Some highlights from the tournament:

Game 1
  • Introduced a friend of mine to the awesomeness of Harlequins.  He was playing CSM with 4 Daemon Princes and a Blood Thirster.
  • Introduced him to the awesomeness of Phantasmancy when I had two Shadowseers with Laugh of Sorrow.  First time I cast it, it dropped a prince.  Second time took another prince.  Third time took the Thirster down to one wound before he died from shooting, having only made it into combat once where he only killed 3 models.
  • We played a Maelstrom mission as I was able to complete the objective of controlling all 6 objective markers, something I have never been able to accomplish.
  • Completely tabled him and won max points for the round in 4 turns.
  • Gloated 8)
Game 2
  • Played my friend who won best painted
  • 3rd time we have played in 2.5 weeks
  • He knows my army struggles against his chaos, with the Knight and a Heldrake
  • Tapped out in 2.5 turns after he completely rocked my world.
Game 3
  • Played against GK/IG combo
  • Was surprised by Interceptors as no one plays them in the area and he was from out of town.
  • By the bottom of turn 1, 75% of my army was destroyed
  • GK Brother Captain and Terminators deepstruck and scattered onto an immobilized Starweaver and rolled a 1 on the mishap table.
  • Solitaire wrecked havok in the backfield while being the only model left alive before going down to overwhelming firepower.
Game 4
  • Played a friends Necrons running the Decurion.
  • Highlight of the day was when he said "I don't know how people can stand playing against this army, it is so gross!"

All in all, finished with a 2-0-2 record and placed 6th out of 22, a performance I am happy with![/list]
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2015, 05:17:21 AM »
Well getting 90 $out of 25 seems indeed quite worth it! That make for some good mini to come in either for the harly force either for something else^^ GG WP as we gamer say. Thanks for the update, seems like harlequins old there ground if they can survive but if not they will fall appart even more quickly.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »
I notice that the two games that you lost were against army's that included Knights. Should I presume that this is because Knights are just too good or is it that Harlies shouldn't face Knights alone?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
I only face a Knight twice.  The first time was the second game, which I lost, and the other was the fourth game, which I won.  It isn't that Knights are too good, it's that Harlies really don't have a lot that can reliably take them down from range. 

For most armies, the solution is to swarm them with anti-tank and fire from multiple angles.  At range, my army only has 5 AT weapons in the Haywire Cannons.  The best solution I have to taking on knights is to charge them with the Caress unit.  The problem is that they are an easy unit for the knight to avoid because he is so much faster.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
I know it's been a while, but I did promise you guys pictures of the army on the table.  So, during my game today I snapped a couple of quick pictures playing against my friend with the Iron Warriors who I mentioned last year in the tournament write up.

The game was a blast, we played Maelstrom and the final score was 20-14 for me.  We were playing the scenario where you can claim each others Secure Objective X, what ever it is called.

My list hasn't changed at all, but he was running:

Belakor
Lvl 3 Nurgle Daemon Prince with Spell familiar and black mace
3x 5 marine units with melta guns in rhinos
predator with 3 lascannons
2 maulerfiends
2 heldrakes.

Some of the highlights were the Solitaire using Hit and Run from being charged by a Maulerfiend on the bottom of turn 1 to blitz his predator and wreck it before dying; his second Maulerfiend failing to do a wound to a unit of Skyweavers before they hit and run and opened the way for the Embrace squad to kill the second Maulerfield with their Hammer of Wrath Attacks; the Caress unit rolling full strength into the first Maulerfield and getting 10 glances out of 41 attacks; and him only having Belakor and the Daemon Prince left on the board by the time his first Heldrake came on during turn 3, and Belakor dying before the other one came on during turn 4.

Anyways, here are the shots taken from the end of his movement phase during the second turn.

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2016, 08:25:18 AM »
Looks like an epic battle. You both have beautifully painted armies that look great pitted against each other. Would love a detailed battle report on your next go, as it seems your two forces are relatively, evenly matched, which always makes for a more exciting game.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
I have a three game tournament coming up on Saturday, so I'll try to snap some pictures and quick run downs.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
It's nice to see your army all painted up and on the table. I'll let you know when I'm next in your area, so we can have a Harlequin- Off!

I look forward to hearing about the tournament. Weekends are busy with work for me, or I'd love to go myself.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
I've had a game similar to a Harlequin-off.  It was, actually, quite thematic in that it was Harlequins vs Slaanesh.  We met in the middle, and who ever charge annihilated the other unit.  It was a very short game.

As for the tournament, it's just a local one.  A bunch of guys from here are heading up to the Barrie Bash this weekend, and seeing as how it is a lot of the competitive guys that are always winning, I figure I may actually stand a chance of winning this one lol.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2016, 12:51:06 AM »
Think optimistic my friend. Take a deep breath at 5he start and say a chant to the dice Gods with 5he offer to use them for 4he greater good, cheesy yes but everything helps. Get a hot chick to blow on them. But never surrender play. Act like this may the only way to get the most amazing treasure or the thought of saving the universe....and prepare your self to win at all cost. I'd say good luck but you won't need it.sooo go and conquer!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
Dread, I am going to blame the results of today on your advice lol.  This is, without a doubt, the worst I have done in a tournament in a very long time.  Not only did I finish last without winning a game, but I did not receive a single battle point and got completely annihilated in all three games.

Game 1 was vs Tau, but not a Hunter Contingent or what ever their Decurion style detachment is called.  We played Maelstrom: Contact Lost, and I think the total points were 3-1 for him by the time I conceded the match.  I went first, and during my first psychic phase, I failed to cast Veil of Tears twice.  The third attempt I used three dice, got two successes which he succeeded in denying... on two dice.  I was able to weather his shooting phase fairly well, but then things just got worse in the second turn.  I again failed to cast Veil of Tears twice (using three dice) each; failed a 9" charge with the Solitaire by 1"; failed a 7" charge by a Skyweaver by 1"; had my Kiss unit charge a unit of Pathfinders, but without Veil of Tears they were reduced to one Troupe + Troupe Master + Shadowseer when they made it to combat and then proceeded to wipe the unit out so they were stuck in the open.  My Caress unit was in a building to claim an objective and prepare to charge the following turn (otherwise they would have been out in the open).  His Stormsurge was able to get LoS on the building and scored a Total Collapse, which resulted in 25 hits on the unit leading to 21 wounds.  Once that building came down, I called the game.  There was no point in going any further.

Game two was against a list that was designed to be silly, but the scenario and deployment type beslubbered me.  He was playing Dreadnoughts.  It had a Space Wolf formation of dreadnoughts with Storm Shields, a Blood Angel Librarian Dreadnought, 2 Furiosos, a Tech Priest on a Thunderwolf and a Knight Paladin.  The scenario was the Emperors Will, and the deployment was Hammer and Anvil.  The table had very little LoS blocking terrain that I was able to utilize, and at the end of the first turn I had lost a unit of Skyweavers, half of my Embrace unit, and half of my Caress unit.  At the end of the second turn, he finished off the Caress unit with his Knight, and I had so little that could handle that much armour, I flat out said the game was already decided.  I played it out, but the best I was able to do was destroy one Dreadnought from his formation and put 3 points of damage on the Knight.  I waited until turn 4 before calling it.

Game three was against Crimson Slaughter, and started off well.  That is, until, the Solitaire bounced off his Possessed twice without killing a model, and the Embrace unit bounced as well without causing a casualty.  I was able to kill his Combat oriented knight (what ever the designation was), and that really was all that I killed while he gunned me down.  I rolled up the worst psychic powers to deal with an army of Nurgle Marines.  No Laugh of Sorrows, no Fog of Dreams...

Because we had both been slaughtered in our first two games, we were joking that we were racing for last place.  The funny thing is that we were tied for Best Sportsman, which had a prize of $30 store credit.  The game against him was the most enjoyable one I had all day, so he got my vote.  The tie breaker for Best Sportsman?  Battle points.  So not only did I lose every single game, but I lost the games so hard I also lost out on winning a prize.  Doesn't help that I gave him the money by voting for him...

Annnnnnyways... I think the Harlequins will sit on a shelf for a little bit and I may go back to playing my Dark Angels for a bit.  As much as I love my clowns, today left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that isn't going away any time soon.  I may bring them out for the next tournament.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »
Sorry it went south on ya but sounds like you had fun. I think the scenarios were the main thing that got you... And possibly the dice too. Of course are beloved harlis suffer from the T3 5++ curse. There's always next time.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2016, 10:02:46 PM »
What really caught me by surprise is the Frost...gun... thing that Space Wolves have where you have to take a strength test or be removed from game.  GW had gone down the road to get away from things that just remove from play by labelling them as Instant Death, but this weapon circumvents Eternal Warrior.  So in the second game, I lost my Solitaire in one shot because of that stuff.

Yeah, it went poorly, but it was still getting to play three games which is something I can't complain about.
I knew I had fans!!!