News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necromunda is back!  (Read 4942 times)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
Re: Necromunda is back!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 05:02:44 AM »
I think in a lot of ways I prefer the new Orlocks to the new Goliath and Escher models. I'll admit I was hoping the non-Escher/Goliath gangs might have some more gender balance. Some female Orlock models would be pretty great with the steampunky look.  Even if it was just 1/5 models per sprue it'd be a start.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 05:23:03 AM »
I think in a lot of ways I prefer the new Orlocks to the new Goliath and Escher models.

And that's why the entire range is so good at the moment. I know a lot of guys that prefer the Goliaths, a lot that prefer the Escher. I'm thinking, that, like you, a lot will like the Orlocks more. I think that is a sign that they're hitting all of the models out of the park; there is no clear cut winner!

I'll admit I was hoping the non-Escher/Goliath gangs might have some more gender balance. Some female Orlock models would be pretty great with the steampunky look.  Even if it was just 1/5 models per sprue it'd be a start.

Agreed, that would have been nice. I think that, in the WD release article, they mentioned that camp followers and minor characters would be getting models down the line. I would have loved some gender balance among the fighters too, but we may at least get some more female characters coming down the line.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
I can definitely see how having make and female parts on the same spruce, can be difficult for making best use of multi-part kits.

Not sure how I'd solve that issue, without limiting the options for either gender, or having a seperate box for each.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
Just ordered my box of Underhive and the Gang War book!
Really loving the new range of models, I have an old Orlock and Goliath gang (and some Van Saar models) but really interested in putting together an Escher gang from the new sculpts! I really hope the Delaque and Van Saar models are as good as the Escher and Orlock new ones!
I really hope they flesh the game out with the extras like the Wyrdvane Psykers etc.
Really can't wait to get going with Necromunda again, gonna get a few games going at my local club to try and entice some people into a small campaign.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
I can definitely see how having make and female parts on the same sprue, can be difficult for making best use of multi-part kits.

It would limit the interchangeability a bit.  But I think it would have been doable with the Orlock models; their clothing is loose enough that you don't need to really exaggerate the hips or anything. All you'd really need would be a swappable chest piece for a couple of the torsos that gave you the option of having breasts on the model, and a few heads with more feminine facial features + hair. A female Juve could be fairly boy-shaped, given how humans tend to mature, so you could even use a female head on a male body and it wouldn't be outrageously out of place.  None of the arms on the Orlock models seem gendered, so there wouldn't be any issues there either.

-----------------------

More on-topic, I picked up my pre-order from GW yesterday and had a look at the contents. I was slightly saddened by the fact that the Escher models are all wearing heels. Is practical footwear for women impossible to find in the 41st Millennium? I mean, they're better than the nonsense shoes Inquisitor Greyfax has, but still. Some flat-soled Doc Marten style boots would have been nice on at least a few of the Escher bodies, and would stil work with the 80s punk rock aesthetic.

The weapon options on the Goliath and Escher kits are pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to put anything together, so I don't know how truly interchangeable everything is, or if they're more like the new Primaris models where only certain pairs of arms will fit well on specific torsos. I'm hoping it's the former, but expecting to be disappointed to find out it's the latter.

I'm torn on the sculpted bases. I was planning on basing my gangs with my usual urban style I've been using on my Deathwatch models, but that would now require buying more plain bases. The detail on the sculpted bases is okay, but I think it's lacking compared to the Sector Mechanicus bases, or what you can to on your own with some time, glue, and basing supplies.

Before they'd announced that Necromunda was returning (and even before Shadow War: Armageddon) I'd started converting a gang out of the Genestealer Cultist models. Their bald heads and goggles made me think of the old Delaque models, but with Van Saar style enviro-suits. I may see about borrowing some unused parts from my new Goliath and Escher gangs to flesh them out some more, and have some kind of customized gang too.  Not sure which house rules to use but there are official options...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
The weapon options on the Goliath and Escher kits are pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to put anything together, so I don't know how truly interchangeable everything is, or if they're more like the new Primaris models where only certain pairs of arms will fit well on specific torsos. I'm hoping it's the former, but expecting to be disappointed to find out it's the latter.

Quote from:  White Dwarf/Sprues and Glue
Like the Goliaths, the Escher models are modular, their arms, heads and hair able to fit on pretty much any of the bodies. The only restriction when building your Escher models is the leader's coat and the arms that go with it.

If the WD article is correct looks like you will be happy.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »

If the WD article is correct looks like you will be happy.

There are female Orlocks?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
No, I believe he means that the arms are torso-agnostic; you can put any of the arms on any of the torsos and they'll fit. As opposed to models like the Primaris Rievers, where only certain pairs of arms will work with certain torsos.