News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Necron Codex - Heavy Support Discussion  (Read 11566 times)

Offline WilliamT

• "It's only a game"
Re: New Necron Codex - Heavy Support Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
Doomsday Arks just does not seem practicable under 5th edition meta.  In my club, over 45% of the board is covered with terrain pieces.  Therefore, it would be hard for the Ark to shoot after 1 turn remaining stationary because it would need to get into position.

This reminds me of Tau Broadside suits without Advanced Stabilization Systems: if they move, they can't shoot.  (That's why I buy ASS for them).  Of course the Ark can move and then fire, but it would do so at a significant disadvantage.

Any seasoned players who have used the Ark here can comment??

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
The Doomsday Ark shouldn't need to move, generally speaking. That overcomes one of its biggest problems. Park it in the back with some scarabs to push deepstrikers further away, and use solar pulses judiciously.

The Doom Scythe... I can see it messing up vehicles pretty badly, especially if you roll high on the 3d6 roll. But it's range is unreliable and this means you've got a decent chance of not being able to reach your desired target from reserves, which is the best way to guarantee you get to fire that gun at least once. It's actually a transport buster in my opinion and best suited to transports of any type short of a landraider or vehicle squadrons, which tend to be lighter in armor and open-topped (and also will get you 3 vehicles close together!). Not rolling to hit with the main gun is excellent and the secondary gun is so accurate you might as well not be rolling. It's also good for targets that dislike instant death.

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
I believe his point was lack of clear line of sight to his targets, meaning he has no option to use the longer range, but instead must move in order to get a shot.  Its an issue I run into as well -- 72" of range sounds great, but in practice on the tables I play on its rare you can shoot something 48" away, or sometimes even 36".  On the other hand, that also means you can generally get away with shorter range fire power like necrons without being over concerned about a gunline hammering you from a distance, so its not all bad.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Hmm, I was under the impression that the rule book suggests 25% of the table to be covered with terrain. This is what I try to do with my home made gaming space and we randomize the table between almost every game. At least here there I can see plenty of use just parking a Doomsday Ark on the board edge and getting plenty of static shots. Sure you'll need to move eventually but if you can set up a good firing line and keep it protected, there shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you guys have more terrain then suggested which favors the close combat armies more then they deserve in my opinion. :P

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »
I had the same issue with my groups tests games with the new book. We use 25% terrain and had to move quite a few turns or not have a good shot on anything. We usually grab terrain pieces off the shelf and pile them up on a table quarter (Think spearhead) until most of that area is covered. Then we spread the pieces out.

25% of a standard table would be a 3'x2' section. A LOT of terrain can fit in this space and can easily crowd a table.

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 07:37:28 PM »
huh, that is a darn handy way of determining 25% that I (and apparently no one else locally) had never thought of.  Thanks for the idea!

Offline syth773

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 04:58:49 AM »
it also depends on what type of terrain you use, not all terrain blocks LOS.  buildings, trees and large hills will but my game group uses a lot of flat terrain with rocks (difficult with a small cover save) or low hills that don't block LOS for most vehicles, so the board is pretty open to long range weapons.

Offline Sirdrasco

• Enilst now avoid forced Biotransferance...
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
From my play testing I found the Annihilation Barge to be a solid choice. In the performance it consistently laid 3+ hits down. And the ability in wounding monstrous creatures is reliable.
Only bad thing is the midrange on its weapon. But it has found its way into my arsenal to use.

I beleive it to be a solid choice for a Heavy Support slot.
" I obey the commands of one Scratch Fury, Destroyer of Worlds!"

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
Even though I do not want to build a mech list (besides stalkers), I gave the A-Barges a try. While the handful of high strength shots are great, I found the mid-range combined with not having the "fast" type made it rather annoying to use them effectively. Having to sit still to fire everything was a pain. Maybe I'm just so used to my BA and Eldar where everything is fast.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2011, 04:54:58 AM »
Yeah I feel a single A. Barge would be hard to get the full potential from, due to it's limited range and speed mixed with lack of target saturation.

Of course, more AV13 vehicles on the table and the better it does.

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »
I've been getting great use out of a lone Barge in a foot-based army, I'll be painting up a second one as a result. The secondary gun is not particularly important, it's usually much more useful to move your 6" to line up better shots with the Tesla Destructor. 24" is not bad for both Spearhead and Pitched Battle, in Dawn of War you should generally fly 12" behind some cover, especially since with night fighting you aren't likely to see much anyways. I have missed a few shots that were really close to 24" but that's just because I'm not as used to using a 24" gun, thank god the range on it isn't longer or else it would be one of the most busted guns in 40k.
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline Idaho

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
Interesting. Thought a lone vehicle in an army would be a glutton for punishment? Or am I being too literal?

It surprises me a lone vehicle can work in a list, but in a good way! Maybe Necrons can pull it off because Heavy Destroyers and the like often suck in anti-tank due to range issues and such weapons often have the best range, plus with Wraiths and Scarabs running after people you can't always spare a bit of fire to hit a lone vehicle?

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
Between Heavy Destroyers, a C'tan, Spyders, Wraiths going up the middle and Scarabs your opponent has a lot of crucial targets to shoot at in a Necron foot army such that a lone Annihilation Barge is not necessarily the first thing to get fired at ;).
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
I have used both 1 and 2 in separate battles and have found them great. I think you make a great point. The armor 13 becomes incredible when there are only a few guns the opponent has that realistically can pop it from range, and like you said... these guns have other more dangerous (or so perceived) targets.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar