News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Welcome all Newcomers!  (Read 177187 times)

Offline eiglepulper

• Make his day, someone!
Re: Welcome all Newcomers!
« Reply #3200 on: June 10, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Mmmm.....cookies! *slurp!*

Ahem....

Well, time to introduce myself, I guess.

My name is Roger and I'm as old as my hair and a little older than my teeth (oh, all right, all right - I'm 53 and male). I'm from Northern Ireland and between jobs at the moment.

I got into Wargaming a long time ago. I used to play with little Airfix soldiers until I was about 15, then had a huge hiatus from that hobby until about 15 years ago when I spotted the painted models in the local GW store. I thought "Hey I could do that!" (WRONG!!) So 15 years later I can now paint to a good standard and am still getting beaten by younger folk.

I had started out playing SM and Necrons for a few years, then someone handed me a Tau Battleforce and a Devilfish and said Try these, I don't want them. 14,000pts later.... 

I try to play once a week, alternating between my clubs - Bad Company in Newtownards, and Creative Destruction in Portadown - and the GW store in Belfast

My armies are as follows: all points values are approximate of course.
Necrons 5k+,
Harlequin-based Eldar army about 4k,
13th Co Wulfen army of about 2500pts,
2k-ish of White Scars
5k of Space Wolves,
2500pts of Ravenwing,
3k Grey Knights,
about 5k of  Emperor's Children
14,000pts of Tau. (yes you do see 3 zeroes there).

I also have a WW2 British Commandos army which is played using the AlternateWarhammer WW2 rules found on the web, a Protectorate of Menoth battlegroup, Soviets for Secrets of the Third Reich and Van Saar for Necromunda.

I have to say that I don't have any particular favourite army to play against as long as my opponent and I have a good fun time playing. If I had to make a choice as to the army I least like to play against it would have to be Nids. I don't really know why.

40k has had some good times for me, with probably the best being when I won a 40k official GW Tournament in Northern Ireland about 8 years ago. The worst: well, there haven't been any really.

As far as other people's attitudes to my hobby is concerned, my daughter just doesn't understand the attraction (thank goodness! It means I don't have to buy her an army), and my wife seems to have accepted that her husband is a big child.

Apart from playing table top wargames with tiny fighting men, I like reading and eating. Especially eating.

I'm looking forward to participating on this site.

E.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #3201 on: June 10, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Well welcome to the community eiglepulper, big children fit in well here. (Not people barely older than their teef though. How do you build an army without spending some teef?)

You will find many insightful people here to all things even vaguely related to 40k. So enjoy yourself!

Offline eiglepulper

• Make his day, someone!
« Reply #3202 on: June 10, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »
You will find many insightful people here to all things even vaguely related to 40k. So enjoy yourself!

That's precisely what I intend to do, as well as contribute as best I can to the community.

And thank you for the welcome. :)

E.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:57:45 PM by eiglepulper »

Offline Exarch Eldrid

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3203 on: July 25, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
Hello im fairly new here but i was lurking around some time so finally i registered, im glad to see a forum for eldar players seeing that much marine love everywhere makes me a bit sick but well, i can say i have been playing with eldar for like 1 year, they are my first and last army im sure about that (totally love them, their fluff, tactics, trickery, models, flexibility). Im Biel-Tan oriented (painting related and army building) but with adding a personal mark (like adding some black details to the colour scheme) i recently finished a wave serpent that i would love to post but i dont have the camera yet =/. Well thats all i guess  =)

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3204 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I see that you've already found the Eldar section, so I've no need to direct you there.  Take a look at the stickies in Beginners and Newbies section to familiarise yourself with forum, and ask if you have any questions.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Exarch Eldrid

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3205 on: July 26, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and the advice, i will check it right now, also the forum rules of course and the painting forum (im close to finish a wave serpent so its always good some critical eye to improve painting techniques).  :)

Offline Bellum_Pango

• DE: "I heart Spikey bits"
  • Armies: Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks
« Reply #3206 on: August 6, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
Hello all,
I began playing Warhammer 40K way back in second edition; you know the box that came with the cardboard Ork Dreadnaught?  Well ever since then I’ve been hooked on the game, making/painting the models and the Fluff of the 40K universe.  I don’t play much, as I live in the sticks and there aren’t many 40k players (two in fact, within 50 miles). But I enjoy collecting, building and painting almost as much.
I have several armies, some big collections that could never be fielded in a single game and some barely large enough to make it tournament legal.   As I love the Fluff of 40K each army has its own name, characters and history.  I will post those later.
1.   Blood Angles Successor Chapter: The Blood Knights (I named my chapter that long before they appeared in the 4th ed. Codex) Approx.: 5,000+ points
2.   Craftworld Eldar: (um… not really mine it’s my brothers who hasn’t played in years and he kind of gave it to me… only played it once or twice…and no Fluff yet) Approx. 3,000 pts.
3.   Dark Eldar: Kabal of the Poisoned Shadow Approx.: 3,000+ pts.  (My favorite army by far)
4.   Orks: Bolta’ Brainz’ Boyz: Approx. 1,500 pts.
5.   Imperial: just began building this one
Basically, I’m here to connect with the 40k community at large and see what others are doing out there in the Grim Darkness. I’m looking forward to hangout here!
So that’s the all the first date stuff…
So many Xenos, so few bolter rounds...

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3207 on: August 7, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I remember that boxed set very well.  I still own the box, and the original ruins from the card sets that came with it.

You'll find plenty of people who are able to help you, and perhaps others who you can help, in all the different boards for the armies you play.  Just remember to take a good look at the forum rules and sticky threads before you get too involved with posting  :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Guardsman Bane

• Account No Longer In Use
« Reply #3208 on: August 21, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
In and out of 40k for 12 odd years now. Been devouring the IG tacticas:)
I have a real issue with the amount of censorship on this forum and am choosing to no longer participate. Please consider this account indefinitely inactive.

Happy gaming everyone:)

Guardsman Bane

Offline Fables

• Derse Dreamer; The Witch of Doom
    • My 40k Tumblr
  • Armies: Dark Eldar
« Reply #3209 on: November 1, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »
Hello everyone! I've wandered around and read some stickies, and now I'm here writing my first post, how exciting is that!?

I'm extremely new to 40k, I haven't ever played a game and barely know the rules truth be told, but two weeks ago I found myself in Games Workshop buying some very nice gifts for myself!

Thought it would be helpful to join a forum such as this and involve myself with the community a bit, so, it's nice to meet you all! Please excuse the no doubt annoying questions I'll inevitably end up asking whilst I'm here...
Growing up is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.
Follow me on Tumblr! Ffables.tumblr.com

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3210 on: November 1, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
Hey Fables, welcome to the forum. From your other post I see you have chosen Dark Eldar. Cool they may be but I was wondering if anyone has made you aware that they aren't supposed to be the ideal army for a beginner?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Fables

• Derse Dreamer; The Witch of Doom
    • My 40k Tumblr
  • Armies: Dark Eldar
« Reply #3211 on: November 1, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Hey Fables, welcome to the forum. From your other post I see you have chosen Dark Eldar. Cool they may be but I was wondering if anyone has made you aware that they aren't supposed to be the ideal army for a beginner?

Thank you! Yeah I was made aware of it soon as I got home and started reading around on forums like this one! I felt a bit dumb for a while but wasn't deterred-- I figured it better that I'm playing an army I actually like, and I don't mind being on the losing end of a good few rounds until I pick up some experience.

If all else fails, my housemate is thinking of starting up with the "Dark Vengeance" box, and has told me I can go halfsies XD
Growing up is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.
Follow me on Tumblr! Ffables.tumblr.com

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3212 on: November 1, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Don't worry about an army being classified as having a difficult learning curve. As long as you're have fun playing it that's all that really matters in the end. Who won or lost is meaningless compared to wanting to do it all over again.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline jlmott

« Reply #3213 on: November 4, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
Hello everyone. I played a bit in 5th edition with Vanilla Marines but could never really get into it. Then Dark Vengeance came out and I could not resist purchasing it.

Now I have a bunch of marines that I am thinking of converting to Chaos. Not really sure how or where to start; I was thinking they could be recent defectors to the dark side. Perhaps I could paint them all differently except for the true Chaos models which would match each other.

I posted in the Chaos forum already and Irisado was kind enough to help me think through a list idea.

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #3214 on: November 8, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
hey welcome to 40ko.
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline Loken The Fallen

• Newest
  • Armies: main: Blood Angels ALTS: Eldar, CSM, created SM
« Reply #3215 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
hello i look forward to using this site and taking part in some of the events here

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3216 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
Hi Loken. I see you have created your own SM Chapter, was this back in the days of traits or fairly recent?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Etrious

• Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war...
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #3217 on: December 11, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »
Ola Peeps!

I'm very new to WH40k, and haven't even started picking up the pieces of my army(ies) yet, although I plan to in the near future. I plan on running Chaos as my primary army, and eventually I'd like to build up Necron and Ork armies as well.

I tend to dig in to a lot of information and like to learn as much about a topic as possible, so I may be bouncing all over the place reading various posts, builds, tactics, etc.

I'm an avid fan of strategy and tactics games, history, movies, etc. and WH 40k will be my first delve into this gaming medium (I have however played Battletech for decades).

well look forward to our discussions and ttyl!

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #3218 on: December 11, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
Hi Etrious

Welcome to 40konline and welcome to the hobby. :)

Offline Etrious

• Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war...
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #3219 on: December 11, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »
Thanks!

And here's looking forward to my first few games so I can get my face smashed in :/ lol