News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Design A Special Character Competition! V. 2.0 (A.K.A. The 40k Version)  (Read 9776 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
The Design A Special Character Competition! V. 2.0 (A.K.A. The 40k Version)[/b]

As those of you on RoR (Realm Of Runes) may know, myself and FadingJew started a Design A Special Character Competition there, while it’s still going on I’ve wanted to start the 40k version so here it is.

Bear in mind I’ve still got to flesh out some ideas and I’m always open to suggestions.

General

• Only One Entry Per Participant Per Contest.
  • The Character Can Not cost more than 250pts or take up multiple FoC Slots.
  • The Character May Be Or Ride In A Vehicle.
  • The Character May Have Up To Four Special Rules.
  • Every Two Fearless or Ld Modifying Rules Take Up One Special Rules Slot.
  • Invulnerable Save May Only Come From Official Items Not Found On Special Characters.
  • Any Non-Generic Weapons (In Other Words A Weapon Who’s Rules You’ve Made Up) Take Up A Special Rules Slot.
  • Having Psychic Powers (1-4 Powers Max) Counts As One Special Rule.
  • The Character May Not Have A Special Retinue (Such As Shrikes Wings).

I plan to do several categories after the first general category and hopefully we’ll be able to do this in Polls (I’ll have to talk to one of the Mods of this forum).

Please ask questions and make suggestions, it’s hard adapting the rules for the Fantasy version to 40k, Characters are very different ;D.

Oh, and please use this to make the stats for your character, it looks nicer and is easier to read:

Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][b]Pts[/b][/td]
[td][b]Ws[/b][/td]
[td][b]Bs[/b][/td]
[td][b]S[/b][/td]
[td][b]T[/b][/td]
[td][b]W[/b][/td]
[td][b]I[/b][/td]
[td][b]A[/b][/td]
[td][b]Ld[/b][/td]
[td][b]Sv[/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]Character Name[/b][/td]
[td]Pts[/td]
[td]Ws[/td]
[td]Bs[/td]
[td]S[/td]
[td]T[/td]
[td]W[/td]
[td]I[/td]
[td]A[/td]
[td]Ld[/td]
[td]Sv[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Just repalce the repeats (the second Ws, Bs etc.) with the stats.

It should look something like this:

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Character NamePtsWsBsSTWIALdSv

~MTWC
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 02:23:33 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Tilanis1255544454103+/4+

Captin Tilanis Is the comany master of the 4th company of the Lamentors chapter . The Lamentors are known for their bad luck and that curse is the reson for the bleeding heart that is their chapter symbol. Though for some reson the curse is held strongest in the 4th company.

Captin Tilanis Can be used as an HQ in any lamenters army of 1500pts or more. He must be used exatly as shown here and can he given no additional wargear.

Wargear:Bolt Pistol, The Sword of Bleeding Hearts, Iron Halo, Teminator Honors(bonus included in profile).

Special Rules

The Sword Of Bleeding Hearts This is an archaic sword passed down by the 4th company. Its main feature is a large bleeding heart emblem on the hilt.It counts as a master crafted power sword in all respects.

The Aura Of Tragedy The curse the lamentors have in rare cases is manifested as a palpadle thing projected in waves forcing the enemy back. If you take Tilianis then you may opt to have the 4th company in which all infantry can have the aura at 3pts per model and dreadnaughts can have it at 8pts a model. Any enemy unit wishing to assult a unit with Aura of tragedy must first pass a leadership test. If the test is failed then the squad may chose a diffrent target.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 02:48:36 PM by Killlersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
7 Wounds ???

Also it was meant to be serious Special Characters (hence why it's not in the Space Tavern)...

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
well the  7 wounds for the cats 9 lives er...ok well you can delete it then if you don't want it and I'll think of somthing else.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Uh, I can't delete things, I'm only a Mod in the Space Tavern.

Just edit it into the kitty one, you'll kill two birds with one stone.

~MTWC

Offline EtherealFlame07

Alright, I want to make a character, can I use equiptment from the eldar Harlequin list?

thanks

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Of course you can, except where otherwise said you can make up stuff or use pre-existing equipment.

~MTWC

• Ancient

~MTWC

What do you mean by that?
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
     Calus Drakin was a master Sorcerer of the Night Lords. As with all Night Lords, he was cursed with dark visions, tracing out the blackest of all possible outcomes. All that changed one night, as his dreams became illuminated and a huge and powerful figure appeared to him. Adorned in armour of the brightest gold, a halo of white around his head. The figure spoke to him, revealing the secrets of times long past. He explained why things had happened as they had during the heresy. That is had all happened according to his design. The Night Lords had been sacrificed to obtain a greater power, and now that power was in their posession. They now only had to return with the power, and their chapter would be forgiven their excesses and accepted back into the fold.
     Calus awoke for the first time in centuries with a smile upon his face. He recognized instantly the figure in his dreams. The Emperor was beckoning them back to the imperium. He picked up his sword and looked at it. A vision flashed before him. An Imperial Inquisitor. A radical. One who thought that chaos was merely a power, that the power of chaos could even be turned against itself. Calus immediately understood, his dream, this vision. He had been chosen to bring the power of chaos to the Imperium, that the Imperium could use the power of Chaos itself to crush the dark forces which threatened to overwelm it. He twirled the sword in his hand, putting a deep gouge into the wall as he left the room. To begin his quest to search out this Inquisitor, and lead his army back to glory and redemption.

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Calus Drakin1905544353103+ / 5++

Calus Drakin can be taken as an HQ unit in any Night Lords army. He will always be the army general.

He wields the Sword of Black Sight and a bolt pistol

He has the Veteran Skills Night Vision and Stealth Adept

He has the Psychic Powers Doombolt, and a Minor Psychic Power ( always taken from the movement table )

Sword of Black Sight

This sword counts as a Master-Crafted Power Sword with Rending. It's bearer also counts as having the Mark of Chaos Undivided, a Personal Icon, and a Warp Focus

Visions of Light

Calus Drakin's visions have since been a mix of light and darkness. The Emperor shows him the path he must take, but the shadows often distort the images he sees.

In game terms. At the start of the game, roll a D6. On a 4+ the Night Lords player may redeploy a single unit after the opponent has finished deploying his army. On a 1, the opponent may redeploy a single unit instead.

In addition, he commonly receives short glimpses of the future, allowing him to dodge incoming bullets and attacks. This gives him a 5+ Invulnerable save
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
~MTWC
What do you mean by that?

When you make the next character edit it over the kitty one or at the end, that way it doesn't have to be deleted and you don't need to post again.

~MTWC

• Ancient
Ahh ok now I got you, I'll get back to brainstorming.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
Syiu Meu'kung
great harlequin of the Peach Mountain Troupe

A rebellious outcast imbued with the wild energy of the cosmos, he travelled the galaxy in search of sensation and exitement. One day, he challenged even a harlequin troupe. Amazingly defeating many, and even took their golden elixers and sacred peaches. He was stopped when the Shadow Seer Amitoh trapped him underneath a mountain of wraithbone. There he raged and raged, untill he was too tired to even feel anger. A little reformed, he was given the oppertunity to make up for his ways by accompanying a seer into the Eye of Terror, to bring back long lost scriptures to Ulthwe.
Those times have long passed, and today the rebel youth is now one of the greatest of Great Harlequins.

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Syiu Meu'kung25096333104104+inv

equipment-

Dragon Pillar- one of the pilliars of Asuryan's palace. It can shrink and grow on command
 counts as a power weapon
'Extend!' can be used in shooting, strength 5 ap1 rng 8''
also allows Syiu Meu'kung to scale impassible and difficult terrain
Holofield
Domino field
Dread Mask

Thousand li cloud- Deepstrike, movement is 12'' (counts as regular movement, not as jump pack, so not harmed by terrain)

special rules
Fleet of foot
Independant Character
Bravado- may choose to automatically pass a morale test, extends to squad he is with
Taunt- at the beginning of the enemies assault phase, you may nominate a model able to charge (not fired heavy weapons or other restrictions).
they must test on their ld, if they fail, they charge Syumeukune or the unit he is in.

fighting with the Dragon Pilliar, Syeumoukune may do one of the following in the beginning of his assault phase, the effect changing with the beginning of each of his assault phases

can be used either to swing with the force of both hands (double strength, STILL striking on initiative)
or
striking with both ends in a flurry of blows (+2 attacks) re-roll misses. (these attacks are at his normal strength)

Golden medicine body- Through a combination of physical aptitude, skill, psychic resistance, and seeming luck, Syiu Meu'kung survives the most deadly of attacks. All instant death or multi wound attacks only cause one wound.

May only be fielded against Chaos. Takes an HQ slot.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:51:23 PM by TheMightyPikachu »
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Warpseer

• The best ammunition is information
    • Warpseer's Nexus
Acenri Roth
Greater Seer of the Craftworld Serasylum

After centuries of mental fortifying and training Acenri is an powerful individual. After seeing the fall of his Craftworld he fled deep into the web way seeking to find an answer. Hope seemed dim though, his world was eradicated with only a shred of survivors. After more millenia of research, some say he even consulted The Black Library itself in order to find a way to save his world. He discovered how to use the warp to manipulate time on a small scale- enough for a ship to pass back into the weaves of history. It was a dangerous task as tampering with the ages themselves always is. he would have to go alone to warn the past of their demise.

In order to prevent a duplicate of himself in time though he forged a temporal sync node. This device would allow his two selves to merge together into one being stabilizing any rifts and un predicted dangers he could not forsee. His inate future sight allowed him to see the many out comes, all seemed grim but many were near impossible to decipher as it was looking into the past to change the future.

As he prepared for his journey his ship propelled him into the warp and through to the past, the mechanics of which were impossible only to thoseof the Harlequins who had helped him to save the lives of his fellow Eldar. He emerged into the past at the site of the destruction of his Craftworld before they fell. Tearing away at the matterium pieces of warp energy fell into being, he succesfully repeeled them and hailed his home.

He knew what was to happen  as it had before- Chaos would come from nowhere and destroy the unprepared world. Voices of his people rang into his mind and as he docked into his former home he told what was to transpire. They prepared for war and he effectivelyy combined his energy with his other self. What he could not predict was what had happened though- his energy was not transplanted over on itself but doubled. He became a new being- one which was to save his world.

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Acenri Roth250554425210Special

Equipment
Witchblade
Shuriken Pistol
Azrulean Armour (see below)

Special Rules
Generic
Fleet of Foot
Independant Character

Special
Runesight- Acenri is able to cast Fortune and Guide as a regular Farseer but not in the same turn.

Azrulean Armor
      An armor special crafted by the finest of bonesingers before the destruction of his Craftworld tis armor is especially intune to his psychic abilities and his control over time which gives him surprisingly good foresight and agility. It gives him a 2+ save for agility and a 6++ for forseeing attacks.

Supreme Being
      Having merged his psychic abilities his powers lay dormant until they are needed. When an army he is commanding falls below 50% of its original points his abilities activate replacing his 6++ save with 5++. As well his WS, BS, and S all increase by one. When the army falls below 25% Acenri gains 2 wounds for a total of 4.

Ritual of Blood
     The cries of his fellow Eldar are all that Acenri needs to go into a rage. he can smell freshly fallen blood on the ground and when an Eldar sacrifices himself, Acenri is surrounded by that spirit energy and stregthened by it. If an Eldar model is destroyed within 6" of Acenri he is able to channel energy into a weapon and counts as have 2 Dreadnought CCW instead of a WB and SP.

Edit: V2. Replaced Divers Skills with Ritual of Blood, Gave Acenri Special Save and Runsight, Tweak on some stats.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 11:10:57 AM by Warpseer »

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Dragon Pillar- one of the pilliars of Asuryan's palace. It can shrink and grow on command
 counts as a power weapon
'Extend!' can be used in shooting, strength 5 ap1 rng 8''
also allows Syiu Meu'kung to scale impassible and difficult terrain

Why does this make me think of Dragonball?

Diverse Abilities
 Acenri is old and experienced, therefore has a diverse array of skills. Therefore he may be chosen to either fill and HQ, Elite, Heavy Support or Fast Attack SLot. Depending on the one (and only one) you chose and have made known to your opponent he has the following abilit(ies):

HQ- Leading an army is a great task indeed and to show this Acenri is fearless and cannot be pinned and always succeeds at morale checks, any models within 12" also receive tis benefit.

Elite- Being led himself by a worthy commander Acenri is devoted to the cause and has an extra wound.

Fast Attack- Acenri may be mounted on an Eldar Jetbike

Heavy Support- Showing his psychic might Acenri is able to unleash a powerful blast of energy he calls the Infinity Beam: trace a line from any corner of the game surface to Acenri and models that are touched by this line suffer a S6 AP- hit. Any vehicles hit by this are automaticly glanced.

I have to say this doesn't look right to me, not competition rules wise but games wise...

~MTWC

Offline Draza

• Ancient
Arden the Psyker Wasp

Arden is the first of a new Aspect shrine, one that is dedicated to psyker hunting. With the prevalence of psykers among humanity, this relatively new aspect shrine is dedicated to eliminating them. Arden is the founder and a former Warlock. Although not at the stage of a Phoenix Lord yet, with his potential and his current battle-field performance, he may become a new legend to the Eldar people.

Note:
*Psker wasps are organized differently to other aspect units. They act much more like assasins, and as such, usually only 1 or 2 will appear on the battlefield at any one time, each trying to eliminate the psykers from the enemy army.
*Being a relatively new hero, he isn't quite a Phoenix lord yet. As such, his stats represent him more as a pumped up Exarch

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Arden160pts5533363 (4)103+/5++

Wargear: The wasp effect ,shuriken pistol and Runes of Witnessing

Generic special rules:

Independent character
Eldar unit
Fleet of Foot

Special:

The Wasp Effect
This is a potent weapon that Arden carries around him. It delivers a neon toxic substance, that no-one has quite figured out. It is counted in all respects as a master-crafted power weapon. Against psykers, it always wounds on a 2+, as the toxix substance reacts violently with high psychic activity levels. The weapon doesn't just stop their. As long as one wound has actually been inflicted, the psyker takes an automatic perils of the warp attack.

Ghostly apparation
Arden seemingly disappears and re-appears as if a ghost. Arden before assault commences, Arden may move into B2B contact with any model that is in the assault. This may take him out of special weapon range. The only exception is that if the unit contains an independent character, or a character with the psyker trait, he must move into B2B contact with them. If a psyker is killed, and no psyker are left in CC, then he may re-position himself anywhere in the squad.

Ghostly Apparition Pt 2
Besides flying and teleporting, his natural agility is one that surpasses any of his other Pysker Wasps. As such, he benfits from a 5++ dodge save.
(This more in place to deal with Pyskers who have power weapons. Gotta fear this guy a little bit)

Pysker Hunter
Arden may always target a psyker as if an independent character. Eg. A Warlock can always be singularly targets as if an independent character.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 07:52:16 AM by Draza__ »

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
Makenshi, it makes you think of Dragon Ball because this character is based off of "Monkey King (in Mandarin, it sounds like soo-moo-kung" from the famous Chinese novel, 'Journey to the West' (I think it was written during the Song, so about 1000 years ago), which also influenced Toriyama Akira in his Dragon Ball series.
So he has the Monkey King's staff, and also the cloud he rides upon

Monkey King got his staff from the Dragon King of the... west sea I believe. It was one of the pilliars to his palace.

I figured that a great harlequin's backstory should be in the form of mythology, as they are not really 'mortal' (it should sound more like a great legend than a 'modern' fantasy novel sort of thing, y'know?) Journey to the West has also been adopted in Opera form, which is also fitting, as Harlequins are travelling performers, just like the famous Hong Kong Opera troupes, who perform in colorful clothing, beautiful face paint, peforming martial arts maneuvers.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 09:23:34 AM by TheMightyPikachu »
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Warpseer

• The best ammunition is information
    • Warpseer's Nexus
I adjusted by post so its a bit more clear and tweaked some stuff. So how many entries are usually submitted and how long till the voting begins :).

Offline BrathaLir

• Infinity Circuit
  • Glory is akin to a rose: grasp and you will bleed.
  • Armies: Iyanden Spirit Host
Erion Far-Strider, Outcast  Mercenary
   A follower of the Path of the Outcast, Erion has become a Mercenary for the Tau Empire.  Adept at surveillance and stealth, he is often found leading bands of feral Kroot deep into enemy territory.  It is rumored that he participates in their primitive hunting rites, and certainly he is held in awe by several Kroot shamans.  He has recently been in an extended campaign against a large Orc Warband that has invaded the Tau Perimeter Control Zone, and claimed the verdant world of Spera VI.  His suicidal hatred of Orcs is legendary, and is very useful to any commander facing them.  His current location is unknown, but given that he has been observed in different star systems within the same week, often accompanied by Kroot, it is surmised that he has a starship capable of both warp travel and transporting a small warband.

Erion is an Independant Character, and follows all the rules of ICs in the BGB.  He may not be given any additional equipment, and must be used as described below.  He may be included in any Kroot or Tau army, including the Farsight Enclave, and may also be taken in any Biel-Tann Eldar army.  As an Eldar character, Erion gains the Fleet of Foot ability, as described in the Universal Rules section of the BGB, but this is not automatically granted to any retinue that he is included with.           
PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Erion Far-Strider95443324295+

weapons: Eldar Long Rifle, Shuriken Pistol, Power Sword
wargear: Camoleoline Cloak, Bio-Explosive Ammunition (for Shuriken Pistol), Haywire Grenades
abilities:
   Kroot Warband: up to 10 Kroot Warriors and 1 Shaper may be purchased as a retinue for Erion at 8pts. per warrior and 20pts. for the Shaper.  The Kroot and Shaper may take any options and upgrades normally available to Kroot Mercenary troops, at the listed price, including mutations.
   Woodcraft: Erion has been accepted completely by the Kroot, and has mastered their survival and scouting skills.  He is treated exactly as a Kroot when in Woodlands, but will also gain additional abilities from his wargear (i.e. an improved save from camoleoline).
   Infiltrate:  A master scout and sniper, Erion and any retinue he is with may infltrate (as per BGB) if the mission being played allows it.
   Orc Fighter:  Erion gains +1 WS and +1 In. (not included in profile) against Orcs, and his retinue may purchase this ability for +5pts/model.     

« Last Edit: April 6, 2005, 10:26:09 AM by BrathaLir »

"Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin..."

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
       name               pts     ws   bs   str       t    w    i    a   ld     sv

Daruthaya               250     4     4   5(10)   8    3    4   2   10    3+/4++

daruthaya is a wraithlord for the ra`ayen craft world and counts as an HQ choice. the ra`ayen do not have the same reservations about using spirit stones to animate wraithlords and wraithguard that other craft worlds do. it is a means to an end in a war for survival. daruthaya was once a farseer before his fall and has been once again pressed into service for the craftworld. his precognitive skills were legendary. he has been leading the craftworld in its fight against the necrontyr by searching for lost eldar technology and weapons in the eye of terror.

he has all of the same stats as a wraithlord with the following changes: (1 less attack)

runes: the tough wraithbone construct is adorned with the same runes of power that protect farseers and warlocks giving him a 4++ invulnerable save.

psychic ability: once a powerful psyker in life he retains the ability to cast guide and fortune and can use both in the same turn. if he fails a psychic test to cast a power he must immediately test for wraithsight just as if he were a wraithguard model.

pregognitative power: his ability to see possible futures was legendary. when preparing for setup the eldar player is allowed to roll a six sided die into a box or something similar so that the opponent cannot see the result. the number shown will be used to determine the initiative roll for the eldar player when it is time to roll for it. this allows the player to see the possibilty of the likely hood of going first or second and can plan his setup accordingly. obviously you have no guarantees here but that is why it only shows "possible" futures. the opponent will get to see what the roll is when time for initiative.

"morzhai": meaning:" death blade". the sword is an artifact found on one of the eldar crone worlds and was used in the fight against the necrontyr. it is treated as a dreadnaught close combat weapon (powefirst) but may also be used as a force weapon. he may only use 1 other psychic power when using the special attack of the force weapon and must again roll for wraithsight if the test is failed.

daruthaya is armed with a scatter laser and a flamer as well as his above mentioned items. the scatter laser replaced one of his arms that was severed in a battle ages ago. his armoured frame also incorporates a ghost helm along with runes of warding.

69Lazarus.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 12:40:51 PM by 69LAZARUS »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
       name               pts     ws   bs   str       t    w    i    a   ld     sv

Daruthaya               250     4     4   5(10)   8    3    4   2   10    3+/4++

It'd look better if you used the Code I provided ;).

~MTWC