News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Helping a friend make a competitive list  (Read 1823 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Helping a friend make a competitive list
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
Hello rust buck friendly metal men - I come bearing a question.

I am trying to help a friend make an ITC competitive list for an upcoming tournament - and I am not overly familiar with your ways. In my experience, necrons are slow... and I don't just mean that in their movement value but also in how their army seems to come to it's most potent late game. Considering we have 3 hrs per game, how do you as necron players deal with this?

What are the very competitive aspect of the new codex? I will admit I don't have the dex, but I do look up things on **CENSORED BY THE INQUISITION**. Forge world is allowed, and my mate is planning on running a pylon. Beyond that, he has most all the units in the dex and no qualms about picking up more as needed.

Thanks for any advice that can be given
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Helping a friend make a competitive list
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the pylon personally. Get better value taking more normal units.

20-man blobs of warriors backed by a ghost ark in a Mephrit Dynasty list can kill a lot of things.

Deathmarks in a Mephrit Dynasty list can also put out a lot of damage now. They'll get a negative AP value on their guns as well as deal out mortal wounds on some good dice rolls.

Destoyers are quite good now given the new profile for the gauss cannons. Great all around unit.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
I agree on the pylon, but I fear that unit is most certainly coming....

SO you would go footslogging 20 man groups? Doesn't that feed into the whole slower play-style though? Other than the deceiver bouncing d3 units up with him, how do you get them across the board fast?

Destroyers and Deathmarks both I agree are really good - You take just one unit of marks? And destroyers with D-lord support? What about the heavy destroyers?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
Necrons are the epitomizes the slow, always moving forward phalanx theme. Big blobs of warriors should be the core. With reanimation protocols, Ghost Arks letting them do it twice, and a Cryptek to make that roll better make them nearly indestructible. If you take 2-3 units as your core battalion they will have to dedicate so much fire to them it's insane. No need for speed here. Just keep moving forward.

If you just want Deathmarks to kill a single hero 10 would nuke one. Depending on the points you're playing I'd take 2-3. These can easily get across the board for objectives as well.

Destoyers again are as many as you can fit. I run a single 6-man squad in my 1500pt games and they're quite good. I also have a ton of warriors and scarabs to help screen them of course.

I don't bother with the heavy destoyers. A lot of points for a single shot. If you want stronger Anti-high toughness maybe try a Doomsday Ark. It fires a lot more shots now when sitting still.

If you want some movement you could try the Deceiver combined with an HQ with the veil of darkness. Deceiver is less useful if you don't go first for an alpha strike, plus a lot of people run things like scouts or rangers to help pad their deployment zone and control the center of the board. Deceiver can allow you to do this yourself though. Scarabs are also useful for padding out your deployment zone to block off enemy deepstrike units. They also move rather quickly.

Tomb Blades are pretty good now as well if you wanted a faster moving force.