News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: uurr whats happened to GW's pricing?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
uurr whats happened to GW's pricing?
« on: August 2, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
Just noticed the new Primaris single models (chaplin, apothecary,etc) are roughly the price of a box of normal marines, more than a razor back... and a deck of cards is roughly half the price...

It also seems that the Eldar HQ's on jetbikes have had a significant in crease in price since I last looked too... has GW snuck in a bunch of price rises while we've all had our heads in the Indexes?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: uurr whats happened to GW's pricing?
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »
Just noticed the new Primaris single models (chaplin, apothecary,etc) are roughly the price of a box of normal marines, more than a razor back... and a deck of cards is roughly half the price...

It also seems that the Eldar HQ's on jetbikes have had a significant in crease in price since I last looked too... has GW snuck in a bunch of price rises while we've all had our heads in the Indexes?

*Going off Canadian prices*

The price for the clam-pack characters is pretty much in line for the price of all the clam-pack characters.

The Primaris dudes are $45 each. When I bought my Harlequins they were $31 each, and still are (two-three years later). Primaris characters are much bigger then harlequins, so the extra $15 is justified.

The jetbike warlock/farseer seem to be the same price they were at release.

The data cards have always been $20, even in 7th.

Nothing out of the ordinary, really.  :-\

Some things might have gone up in price, but inflation happens for everything, not just toy soldiers.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
The Primaris dudes are $45 each. When I bought my Harlequins they were $31 each, and still are (two-three years later). Primaris characters are much bigger then harlequins, so the extra $15 is justified.

Hmm our Dollars are very close, the Harlies are cheaper down here.. that's a first :)

If it was based on plastic content then the box of normal marines would be higher than the single model.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2017, 04:10:35 AM »
The price increase might come from freshly realesed knew kit, and from the level of details they have, wich make the tools needed to prdocue them more expensive and need a bigger price tag to level thing out. Our GW is just sucking our money dry what can we say, we all love 40k even with these prices ><
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »

Hmm our Dollars are very close, the Harlies are cheaper down here.. that's a first :)

If it was based on plastic content then the box of normal marines would be higher than the single model.

There is also a level of marketing to it too, and covering the cost of the mold.

You'll buy a bunch of squads of marines, so they can be cheaper. Characters are things folks may only buy one of, so the kits need to be more expensive to make up for the expensive molds (as fewer of the kits will be sold).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
You'll buy a bunch of squads of marines, so they can be cheaper. Characters are things folks may only buy one of, so the kits need to be more expensive to make up for the expensive molds (as fewer of the kits will be sold).

yeah but double the price of the old HQ single models... ($28-$33vs$60 down here) maybe they are bumping up the price to make the starter boxes look better.. kind of assuming there will be a primaris starter box at some point.

« Last Edit: August 3, 2017, 05:54:47 PM by magenb »

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
Are you comparing old pewter models to the new plastic ones? That is not a fair comparison. Besides that the plastic models are more detailed and tend to be bigger, plastic models cost a lot of money to get started. They are cheaper in the long run then pewter, but the cost of creating and mandating plastic molds is really, really high.

GW is not going to make back the cost of character plastics by selling a lot of them. (People typically only need one apothecary in their army for example), so they need to be more expensive to offset that cost. A tactical squad isn't $35 a model, as they will sell a lot of those kits, so the price can be comparatively lower, same reason razorbacks and Rhinos are around $40-50.

Pewter models have really cheap molds to create and maintain, which is why the older pewter models can be cheaper than newer ones. But, it's still a supply/demand situation too.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
nope current plastic HQ single models are around the $28 mark, $30 mark for unnamed Marines, some named ones are still under $40. I've noticed recently they did a minor increase to some of the old PL models too.

As for single models they are not going to sell a lot of compared to squad models, Ynnari box set comes to mind, If you price that Avatar as the same as Khaine, then its $61, $32, $32, which is on par with the rest of the pricing.

well I guess they have to make up the cost of dishing out cheap rule books lol.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
Check the number of sprues too.
Most plastic characters are single sprue kits and cost on average £15. New Primaris characters are 2 sprue kits and cost £22.50