News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marines... Based off Homo sexuals?!  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
Re: Space Marines... Based off Homo sexuals?!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 06:38:12 AM »
the truth is that if a spacemarine saw a homosexual they would hunt them down and kill them.

That's assuming that there's some sort of social stigma attached to homosexuality in the 41st millenium. Strangely enough, GW doesn't seem to want to deal with that.

So there's nothing definite. Perhaps it is okay, perhaps not. In a state as large as the Imperium, tolerance of such deviance is pretty much gonig to have to be high, so my guess is that homosexuals don't get tracked down and burnt as heretics.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Deamian

• Sybarite
  • Have a Fishystick!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 07:28:59 AM »
the truth is that if a spacemarine saw a homosexual they would hunt them down and kill them.

That's assuming that there's some sort of social stigma attached to homosexuality in the 41st millenium. Strangely enough, GW doesn't seem to want to deal with that.

So there's nothing definite. Perhaps it is okay, perhaps not. In a state as large as the Imperium, tolerance of such deviance is pretty much gonig to have to be high, so my guess is that homosexuals don't get tracked down and burnt as heretics.

It probably varies from world to world, youd have everything from heavily ruled totalitarian planets that look like the third riech, backwater planets filled with bigots, and hiveworlds with an insane flagellent and zealot population, where homosexuality could get you killed; and then worlds based off of uber-PC modern utopias (or as close to that as you can get in the 41st millinium), apathetic hiveworlds, and platets with a "greek" warrior culture, where it wouldn't be considered that bad, or might be considered the norm. I doubt the crazy zealot types go in for it, but I highly doubt the space mariens would bother with killing/burning homosexuals. If they were extremely perverse beyond that with large orgies and stuff, then they might kill them (too slaanesh-ish), but that would be because of the orgies, not the man on action.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 09:24:14 AM »
I doubt a Space Marine would even truely understand the concept of a sexual relationship.  Considering they are pre-teen when they are recruited, and then pumped full of drugs and implants until maturity, they'd simply not have any experience with it.

Unless of course they come from a sink estate, in which case they are probably already fathers...

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 09:55:24 AM »
Sure, they cant have sex and only love their battle brothers and the Emperor.

May seem gay to you, but in reality I think they are just asexual. Part of their
transformation into space marines is to probably cut off all sexual desires.

Thinking about it, it does make the marines seem less heroic.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »
I doubt a Space Marine would even truely understand the concept of a sexual relationship.  Considering they are pre-teen when they are recruited, and then pumped full of drugs and implants until maturity, they'd simply not have any experience with it.

Unless of course they come from a sink estate, in which case they are probably already fathers...

~Andromidius

Well, if we go by strict GW fluff, it's not always pre-teens. Black Templars can recruit full grown men, and so did the Pre-Heresy Legions. Which is harsh, because by then sexual identity is very ingrained into the male psyche, and taking that away can really mess with you, even if you only cared about war. Then again, we have no idea the what the completeness of the psycho-therapy is when they make them marines. It is quite possible to remove any sexual identity through this therapy.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »
I strongly doubt that Space Marines are anything but asexual. As previous people has stated, it's probably part of their bio-engineering to get rid of such emotions. Besides, aboard a space ship with only males for several months (even in warp), if they wearen't asexual, what would happen? :p

When it comes to the Imperium itself, homosexuality is most likely a custom in some worlds. Since the Imperium spans over a huge amount of worlds, and thus a huge amount of cultures (times 20, or more) - homosexuality is bound to exist as a natural part of the society here and there. Just take our world as an example: Historically we have had several occurances with cultures who's watched homosexuality as the most natural thing, and that's just in our world. Imagine if you add a galaxy of worlds and people to that.

Offline Kandarin

• Nationstates Guru
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 02:32:39 AM »
I can't be quite sure, but I think the statement that homosexuality is opposed by the Imperium is based on the following logic:

By nature, homosexual acts cannot produce offspring. Some homosexuals may still adopt and raise children, but they don't actually add to the population.

Traditions, including sexual mores, are often passed down generationally. Practically everyone was raised by heterosexuals, so there's a cultural push toward heterosexuality as well as the usual biological one.

What this means is that homosexuals would be a relatively small part of the population more or less anywhere. And we know how the Imperium treats its minorities.
Part Eldar hero, part Chaos God, he's...Eldaanesh!

"This tactical squad will be proxied by the Imperial Fortress Walls. Is that okay?"

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 03:04:49 AM »
This is true, as I stated before, but remember, Spartan and Greek homosexuals still had wives to bear heirs. Also, overpopulation can be a problem in some areas. This is alleviated by mass guard regiment raising, or high death rates, but I think in the vastness of the imperium, Homosexually lenient cultures are bound to sprout out. Law of averages.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline tarantis77

• Hamster Cage Studios
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 08:11:43 PM »
Ernest Hemingway once said(and I am paraphrasing) "When a man can't have sex,  he will satisfy himself by killing something" it was surmised roughly ten years ago that Space Marines are at least sexually active when they are Scouts,  as they are still maturing,  and in the company of others just like them.  The idea of a Spartan,  Greek,  or Viking "Warrior bond" runs throughout the early fluff of 40k. It is not inconceivable that they may discontinue such activity,  especially since these bonds have already been established.

And a final note,  Leaman Russ is loosely based on Beowulf,  just as Horus is based on Lucifer,  and others  that have already been mentioned.
Do we get frequent flyerr miles for flights of fantasy?

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,86806.0.html][/url]

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,86806.0.html][/url]

url=http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,86806.0.html][/url]

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »
whoever told you that they were based on homosexual is messin around with you.
i'm welsh and don't you forget it.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline youth in asia

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »
actually, the primarch of the Dark Angels, Lion 'el Johnson, was based off of an English poet, Lionel Johnson. Among other poems, a popular work by him is entitled "Dark Angel". its a good read and i recommend that you all check it out.

anyway, Lionel Johnson was gay. the underlying theme of "Dark Angel" was about his anguish and frustration with his own homosexuality. Its kind of a far stretch, but you could say that the primarch of the Dark Angels was based off of a gay poet.

as for saying the dark angels are gay because they wear "dresses" is preposterous. they wear robes, as did many warriors during the middle ages (and before). wearing robes adds to the mystery and darkness of the Dark Angels.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:37:50 PM by youth in asia »

Offline Orbital

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
Just today a friend told me something amazing!
Space marines were based of a few characters in an authors book that were gay.
I don't remember author but the gay characters were:
Cypher... Had a dark secret. It was his homo sexuality.
Primarch of the Ultra Marines(Whatever His name was)
Leman Russ
And Sanguinus.
It's weird. I'm not kidding either. Ever noticed all male SMurfs? :o :o :o

Weren't you just asking in another thread why it is that kids don't get enough respect in the 40k community? :)

Offline youth in asia

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »
LOL!!!1!!one!

Offline Cyrus Seleucer

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »
Most of the primarchs have their name/some of their identity ripped off a historical source. Magnus the Red COULD be connected to one Simon Magnus, a religious figure for a sect of early christianity, Simonism. jaghatai khan is genghis khan, blatantly. I don't see any connection between leman russ and beowulf, I think Leman Russ is just a generic movie-viking rippoff.

Anyway the whole homosexuality thing is ridiculous. This is an example of digging too deep into the background. As a fictional creation, nothing in 40k makes sense. How do a 100 marines subdue a planet with one strike? Why are any traitor marines still left after 10000 years of warfare? etc. Marines are asexual, according to most fluff. Just leave it at that, and don't go looking for paradoxes and inconsistencies, because you will find them.
Dark Eldar: 2000 points
Thousand Sons: 1500 points
IG: 1500 point list in progress (likely to be a while)

Offline George Kilgore

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »

Let me give you a little hint there are Smurfs and SOBs now i have read books where there are some SOBS and SMURFs working together now if a space wolf and a SOB had a little too much to drink there would a little hairy suprise in a couple of months.

Offline wazdakka

• My awesomeness can not be debated
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »
actually, i think that the imperium is tolerant of homosexuality on most gamma worlds. in the novel ravenor, two of ravenor's henchmen discuss for a second the sexual preferance of the person they've been sent to look for. so, therefore, i doubt the average populous really cares about homosexuality.
Are you a xenophile sir?!
Sir no sir!
Bulls**t, i bet you send messages to the tau through a garden hose!

Offline TheGreatSacrifice

• Chaos...cause its just a giant rock concert
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2006, 11:46:46 PM »

Thinking about it, it does make the marines seem less heroic.

That to me isent true it makes them far more brave and heroic they are giveing up the most basic human emotion reproduction in order to defend humanity  knowing that its somthing they can never rejoin but all of this is based on ones view
SMs: Judges of Faith 3/4/1
Nids: HiveFleet MongolianDeathWorm 0/1/0

Offline Defcon

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 05:09:29 AM »
Phase 19 – Black Carapace. This is the last and the most distinctive implant. It looks like a film of black plastic when it's growing in the tanks. This is removed from its culture-solution and cut into sheets which are implanted directly beneath the skin of the Marine's torso. Within a few hours the tissue expands, hardens on the outside, and sends invasive neural bundles deep inside the Marine. After several months the carapace will have fully matured and the recipient is then fitted with neural sensors and transfusion points cut into the hardened carapace. These artificial 'plug-in' points mesh with features integral to the powered armour, such as the monitoring, medicinal and maintenance units. Without the benefit of a black carapace, a Space Marine's armour is relatively useless.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/initiation/2/

Everything about this screams inability to reproduce or even feel sexual pleasure.  So I guess that answers that?
TauShallBurn: Only Tau story in the codex I read is the one where the marine and the Imperial Ambassador are like "we're going to kill you for stealing our sh*t, b**tch," and the Tau is like: "I know /tear"

OtherGuy: That made me F***ing roffle.  HARD roffle.

Offline Aden

• Humanity at it's worst
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 06:03:33 AM »
I always thought smurfs had no sexuality.

"Seargent, we've found a villiage of naked women!"

.................*loads bolter*