News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63370 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
Thanks dude :) i had yours in mind when i was coming up with it. Your corsairs tend to be pretty much entirely red with a few choice details picked out in gold and blue. Thought i'd give that a go ;)

Now. Question about the Death Jester.

Do i invert the colours so he's majority red with white accents...

...or do i paint him in the same troupe ghostly colours, and make two more troupes, one grey on black so i've got a light, dark and twilight aspect to it?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:06 AM »
I'd actually go with a black theme for the Death Jester. I think it would really help him standout. For the Shadowseer, Death Jester and Solitaire I would do something unique... but thats just me. If I feel it suits the character of the model better I usually break up the paint scheme. Like with my Rangers and counts-as Scorpions... I didn't want my stealthy guys running around in red and gold armor. Its different with the Harlies... they aren't worried about camouflage, but I'd give them colors which would suit their station. Thats just me though.. I'd fascinated to see what direction you go in regardless. Good luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
Yeah I wanted to do something unique for the DJ, but as I'd already painted the Troupe Master in Troupe colours I'd end up with a special DJ (and probably a special Shadowseer) next to an otherwise standard Troupe Master which doesn't seem right to me...

I could change the Troupe Master's coat to red to make him stand out too, but I think I prefer the whited out look.

Hmmm, maybe I should paint up one of my Players in the dark theme and see how I like it. If it's good I'll stick with unified Troupe members. If not, I'll go varied :)

Oh, and I've got a Solitaire planned that's probably way way beyond my painting skills :S if I do a light and dark troupe, I'd want to do a Solitaire starting as dark on his left and then blending through to white on the right. Lord knows how it'll turn out as I've always been terrible at blending!

Oh, and I love your Scorpions and Rangers :) some of my favourite models and paint schemes

Post Merge: January 20, 2017, 07:08:42 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Was rooting through my bitzbox and stumbled upon a last pair of Harlie legs so I made myself the Solitaire I was planning!

If anyone was thinking of making one themselves the left-handed Kiss was made using one of the right-handed arms with the hand clipped off and replaced by one from the Wrack Venom pilot :) thinking about it the Raider kit has some open left hands too :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:08:42 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:51 AM »
That Solitaire is crazy cool. Nice use of what I'm guessing is Daemonette hair!

You make the conversion work sound so easy. It isn't and you've done it very well.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
Thanks again dude :) I'd seen the daemonette hair on a Solitaire before and thought that it looked too damn cool for me to pass up! Fits nicely with their fluff too (of which I've got a little piece written, but it's a follow-on from a Corsair bit so I need to paint up some of those first) :)

It's odd with conversion work. Sometimes, stuff just seems to fall into place really nicely (this Solitaire being one of them). It's basically 80% bog-standard Harlequin, with the face clipped off a Daemonette and a Harlequin mask stuck on :)

The little Knight World guy in the other thread was the opposite end of the spectrum. I went through 7 or 8 different arm permutation trying to get one that looked right. Couldn't do it with standard arms so had to take the plunge and start cutting arms in half and hoping I could re-pose them with enough length so they didn't look stubby :S real uphill struggle, but very rewarding when I finally hit the nail on the head :)

The more converting I do, the more things start to fall into the former category rather than the latter. You should see some of my earliest efforts :S there's an exodite Guardian lurking around somewhere that's holding his Shuriken Catapult sideways like some sort of gangsta holding a pistol :S nice to keep things like that around to show you how far you've come :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »
Well, finished my first Croneworld Cultist yesterday :) rather pleased with how she came out, although she definitely fell into the 'uphill struggle' category I mentioned previously...

I've got an idea in my head for her male counterparts, but that will have to wait til I get some more Harlequin legs.

However, that's not even the most exciting thing today! Not sure if everyone's seen yet, but the eldar models for Fall of Cadia have dropped :)

Gathering Storm II – First Look – Warhammer Community

While I normally have very little time for named characters in my armies (and the general blinginess of recent 40k character models), these guys have really grown on me. However, the main thing that was racing through my mind is how utterly perfect the Avatar of Ynnead's base body is for my Croneworld unfettered psyker counts-as Lord of Change.

Imagine that crossed with this:

I can feel myself getting very poor very quickly this month...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
Sweet looking models as always Ynnead, super dynamic. Yeah I think the new Eldar stuff is gonna fit perfectly in with your army. Mine too! Great stuff Ynnead way to keep pumping em out :)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
Thanks dude you continue to flatter me :)

I can't wait to paint the Avatar of Ynnead in low-contrast bone-white :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for them either ;)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
If anyone was thinking of making one themselves the left-handed Kiss was made using one of the right-handed arms with the hand clipped off and replaced by one from the Wrack Venom pilot :) thinking about it the Raider kit has some open left hands too :)

Your Solitaire conversion is bloody marvellous. The hair compliments the pose so well that anyone would think that this was a bought model.

I can't believe you have to cut the faces off some models for your conversions that level of work just blows me away.

Daft question but how come you had to use a right handed arm for a left arm. Could you not have cut the hand off of a left arm and got a similar result?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
Really loving that Solitaire conversion! The posing is great and you've made a really good choice of bits!
Can't wait to see what you do with the new stuff!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
Thanks guys! Really liked how the Solitaire came out too :) can't take credit for the idea for the hair though as that's something I've shamelessly lifted form someone else (who due to my poor memory will have to remain nameless)

The face-cutting-off thing sounds drastic but it's fairly simple when you're gluing a Harlie mask over the top ;) no need to be particularly finessed about it ;)

Not a daft question at all :) the issue is that in the Harlequin kit all of the special weapons (and swords for that matter) are right-handed. I started off with the idea of cutting off the Kiss from a right arm and gluing it onto a pistol arm that had the pistol clipped off.

However, when I was looking through the Harlie kit for a suitable pistol arm, I stumbled on the Kiss arm that was fully outstretched and thought 'aside from the hand that looks identical to a left arm'.

Also, one of the most helpful things that the guys that make the models do is put little bangles/rings on wrists. That means you can get a nice clean cut, glue another hand on and no-one will be able to see the break where the two disparate bits are stuck together :)

I can't wait to get my hands on the new stuff either! I've had a bit of an idea for 'not-Malys' as well. I'm thinking of hacking away at her skirt so it looks a bit more tattered, and then painting it to be made of flayed skin like the Archon's skin cloak :) might see what I can do to make it look like it's sewn together as well :)

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »
Cool stuff YW, this thread is getting full of so much character -- I can see those new Ynead models fitting right in and looking BADASS next to your creations, dude it's going to be sick!

The ghostlike Harlequins with creepy red hands are a nice look, definitely the Troupe of the bloody-handed god or something
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks man! Yeah I can't wait to get my hands on them :)

Annoyingly, after I'd painted the red hand on the Troupe Master I came up with the idea of doing the red hand not as a glove, but as blood staining from where he's pimp-slapped someone's face in. Sort of like an intense blood-spatter up his arm with it soaking into the palm, and then blood-spatter running down that side of his cloak.

Might see how well that works on the next Harlie actually and if it looks cool I'll do them all like that :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
I don't know how I missed them, but the painted Harlequins are really beautiful. The painting on them seems a cut above (although it may just be because the lighter palette makes them more photogenic).

I personally think that a red glove looks better than a festival of blood. The clean finish is such a nice counterpoint to the rest of your miniatures, I think that you stay the course with those guys. I think the look is perfect.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks dude! Means a lot coming from a man of your talents :)

I'm really pleased with how the Harlies have come out paint-wise. Just a smidge above the Kabalites who were the previous favourites :) I think it's the technique for them of laying down a base colour and then doing a couple of really thin/dry layers of colour to build up the white. Lends itself much more readily to the contours. Something I've only just discovered!

Good old Nuln Oil helps too :) magic stuff that ;)

Glad you prefer the red glove :) much easier to pull off than the bloodied hand judging by my rough testing! ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:47:06 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
Well, I've got a fluff piece waiting in the wings for my Corsairs but for some reason I've been painting anything but!

Apropos to that, have a Death Jester! The camera really doesn't do justice to him unfortunately. I'm beyond chuffed with how he's turned out :)

Tried mucking about with lighting again to no avail, but I did somehow manage to produce this which I cannot stop looking at...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2017, 07:18:28 AM »
Wow.. Ynnead.. this is SICK! WOW! I love it man... I absolutley love it. You are a painter (and modeler) after my own heart. So stark, yet so ethereal but vibrant... perfect color choices... dude I'm in love with these minis. This is sick! I cant say it enough... I really, really love these guys man. Wow! Keep it up

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
Thanks a million dude! It's your minis and painting style I use as inspiration ;)

And thanks for all the positive feedback :) it's comments like this from yourself and others that have really driven me on to keep fiddling about with little plastic aliens ;) wouldn't have got anywhere without the encouragement of everyone here :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2017, 09:50:51 AM »
I am lost for words really Ynneadwraith. Actually I have lots of words I just don't know how to put them together to do justice to your fantastic modelling and painting skills.

Black that looks black instead of grey is something I have rarely seen and must be really hard to achieve without obscuring any detail.

Sinister, eerie, threatening, magical, special are just a few of the words that spring to mind but I can't put into a coherent sentence.

One last thing - get a better camera.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »
As much as I love the trooper - and I really love her, I think she's stunning, I'm just not sure about the Death Jester. You obviously have talent; the finish is really clean and precise and the detailing on the thigh is great, but there's just something that doesn't do it for me.

I think that I like the first Harlequin because, while it is a light model, there are many layers to that light. Subtle changes in tone that bring more life to the model. With the Death Jester, I think it's probably too dark for me. There aren't those contrasts or layers, so I don't feel there's nearly as much depth. It may just be the camera and lightning, but that's what I feel.

At the end of the day though, you like the model, the other guys like the model. I think it's painted well, but it's just not for me. All that said, I really look forward to seeing your work, so keep throwing those updates out there!