News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [NM/HM] Iron Hands 2000pt  (Read 691 times)

Offline Iron Hand Airjam

[NM/HM] Iron Hands 2000pt
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:35:40 PM »
Iron Hands Traits apply, naturally. I have about 500 points towards this so-far, getting a re-morgage soon, so going to treat myself to the rest, I am a complete newbie, and was looking for a fluff-friendly and balanced force, with a little lean towards assault=)

Chaplain - bolt pistol, bionics -91

scouts - 6, /w snipers(6), terminator honours, auspex, bionics -128

Tactical squad - 6, lascannon, Razorback /w lascannon, smoke launchers, extra armour -203

Tactical squad - 6, plasmacannon, plasmagun - 120

Tactical squad - 8, Heavy bolter, plasmagun -135

Tactical squad - 10, Meltagun, terminator honours, bionics, combat shield, powerfist - 200

Tactical squad - 10, Flamer, terminator honours, bionics, power weapon - 186

Assault Marines - 10, 2 x Plasma-pistols, meltabombs, terminator honours, bionics, combat shield, power weapon - 285

Devestator squad - 6, 4 x Missle launcher - 170

Dreadnaught - 1, Venerable, heavy flamer, furious assault - 145

Land speeder Typhoon - 1, - 70

Crusader - 1, Smoke launcher - 268

2001 points

How'd I do? Unless I get a real bad response on this list, I'm going to get it in about two weeks, have the scouts/2o marines/dread/speeder/chaplain, going to get the rest as a bundle, might see if i can get some freebies thrown in then=)

Model-wise, what is the Crusader like, I've heard it's a real pig

And other Iron Hand players give me tips on nice fluff-friendly lists please?

Next on the agenda for this, in the far, far future, would be a Iron Father, plus sevitors(ether 2 plasma/2tech, or 2 cc/2tech) and 10 assault terminators (8 for a squad, 2 to lead tactical squads)

Anyhow, all thoughts welcome, this is just what I see in theory mainly, everyone here has more hands-on experiance then I=)

Airjam

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: [NM/HM] Iron Hands 2000pt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:30:20 PM »
I would lose the razorback and give one of the 10 man squads a rhino. Is the chaplain riding with a squad in the LRC? If so, make them a command squad and give them bp/ccw, two meltas, and furious charge.

The chaplain should have terminator honours.

Furious assault isn't very useful on a dread. I would drop the skill and spend the points elsewhere. I'm not sure how well the dreadnought fits into this list. Your assault elements will outrun him, and your shooty elements will outrange him.

On the same note, a combat shield provides no benefit to a veteran sergeant. Drop it.

Landspeeder typhoons aren't worth much. A tornado would serve you better.

Consider dropping the melta bombs on the assault marines. You have lots of anti-tank, and your assault marines should be concentrating on killing infantry. A powerfist will give them an anti-tank punch if they need it.

You might reconsider your heavy weapons. 3x las/plas would give you a good anti-tank firebase, and a devastator squad with 4x heavy bolters can provide anti-infantry support.

Offline Iron Hand Airjam

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:00:22 AM »
I would lose the razorback and give one of the 10 man squads a rhino. Is the chaplain riding with a squad in the LRC? If so, make them a command squad and give them bp/ccw, two meltas, and furious charge.

*not a bad thought on the command group, I know my HQ choice is lacking* I'm loathe to get rid of the Razorback squad though, standing still or mobile, it was planned to be an ajustable tank / monstrous creature hunting unit, perhaps backing up the snipers*

The chaplain should have terminator honours.

*Um yeah, forgot that one!=)*

Furious assault isn't very useful on a dread. I would drop the skill and spend the points elsewhere. I'm not sure how well the dreadnought fits into this list. Your assault elements will outrun him, and your shooty elements will outrange him.

*Dreadnaught is fluff-friendly, but i see the point in regards to the skill, whichever tactical squad is backing it up(one of the ten man) was going to give it weight behind any assault it might eventually make, ether that, or the dread was planned for a deterent for any areas I didn't want to have assaulted, perhaps a drop-pod could help it with getting close to the enemy*

On the same note, a combat shield provides no benefit to a veteran sergeant. Drop it.

*This was going to be incase some nasty no-saves weapon struck my squads, but in hindsight, it wouldn't be worth risking the sgt*

Landspeeder typhoons aren't worth much. A tornado would serve you better.

*Long range troop-killer, tornados have to get in range themselves to be able to hurt, typhoon is able to stay out of range, for the most part, and hopefully, chew up some troop squads*

Consider dropping the melta bombs on the assault marines. You have lots of anti-tank, and your assault marines should be concentrating on killing infantry. A powerfist will give them an anti-tank punch if they need it.

*Not been able to use melta-bombs in game, but saving 20 points isn't a bad idea, would it be worth giving the chaplain meltabombs incase of any tank combat? (if no command squad?)*

You might reconsider your heavy weapons. 3x las/plas would give you a good anti-tank firebase, and a devastator squad with 4x heavy bolters can provide anti-infantry support.

*I'm not keen on the lascannon/plasmagun squad thing, and the heavy weapons I do have are mainly because of the boxed devestator set, although the 8-man h. bolter squad could probably do with replacing with something more useful(perhaps the command squad)*

Thank you very much for your insights, looks like im going to have to revise things somewhat, better now then when I've spent my modeling money for the next year or so=)

company champions worth it in command squads?

Thanks for comments again

Airjam

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
Company champions are decent. It's hard to argue with an extra power weapon, right? You pay a premium for that power weapon, though, and his combat shield is basically useless on a non-IC. With terminator honours, he's comparable to a veteran sergeant with a power weapon, but he can only have terminator honours if you buy it for the whole squad, and that's expensive.

He can be a very cool modelling project.

Offline Aervyper Venom

• Neophyte
  • Jade Reavers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »
You said that you wanted Assault Terminator's.... Before you make that decision take a look throught the terminator thread that's on this same forum. I'd probably suggest just regualar terminators.

Your Chaplin needs a purpose a goal in life a passion. With your list he's just SCREAMING "GIVE ME A JUMP PACK DAMMIT" lol.  I'd throw a jump pack on him and shove him into your assault squad. Then you could give him a Melta bomb, and junk all the melta bombs in your Assault squad. Re-rolll Drools.....

The Crusader is a huge point sink and since ur largest squad is only 10 then your just not gonna fill it up.... Making it a 265 point sink that probably will be atomized in 2 turns, if ur lucky.....

With the Dreadnaught i'd suggest fielding a Long Range Dreadnought..... Lascannon / Missile Launcher, Or assault Cannon Missisle Launcher.

Overall 6 troop choices with lots of feet on the ground will make everyone more or less shout praises about your list. It looks good, could be a bit better but that's no different than anyone elses.......
Armies:
-Space Marines: Jade Reavers
- Imperial Guard: Catachan 221
- Eldar
- Orks
- Aervyper Venom

Offline Iron Hand Airjam

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »
I have revised the list, it's now 1500 points and minus one tactical squad and the crusader, got the models in the post today (Iron Hand metal bitz look so good, I got loads too=)) Shame I'm not an amazing painter, but the army as a whole looks ok so-far, I'll post revised list soon, going to look at the terminator thread now, hope it doesn't spoil my idea of an assault squad of them, I love the look of the models so-much, with a teleport homer and furious charge, im hoping to get a squad to really give the enemy a head-ache. To the comment about the ammount of troops, cool, glad people like this, I wanted to have as much of a horde army for space marines as possible, mainly because they really are stupidly hard in big numbers, and this would mean I might not find myself outnumbered as much as people would expect from a marine army, still without a play test yet, this is all guess work

Thanks for the help all, heres hoping my army does alright, when i get round to painting the 35 or so models I just got! (Can't wait, wish I wasn't working a night shift tonight!)

No other Iron Hand players here?=(

Trev

Offline Iron Hand Airjam

« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2006, 04:12:02 AM »
heres the new revised list for a 1500 force, have all models now, just gotta paint the buggers!

Chaplain, bolt pistol, terminator honours, boinics = 106

Scouts - 6, snipers = 108

Tactical Marines - 6, lascannon, razorback(lascannon, extra armour, smokes) = 203

Tactical Marines - 5, plasmacannon = 95

Tactical Marines - 8, flamer, sgt w/ power weapon, bionics = 156

Tactical Marines - 10, meltagun, sgt w/ powerfist, bionics = 195

Assault Marines - 10, 2 x plasma-pistol, sgt w/ powerfist, bionics = 265

Devestator Marines - 5, 4 x missle launcher = 155

Dreadnought - 1, venerable, heavy flamer, extra armour, smokes = 143

Typhoon - 1, = 70

Total 1496 (might give the pwr wpn sgt meltabombs)

this scrub up ok? hope so as I got the models now! Brought lotsa the Iron Hand extras, so they should looks pretty good.

Couldn't find any terminator topics comparing the two types, teleporting in with assault terminators looks a little vunerable, perhaps a teleport-homer on assault marines, drops them off behind cover

I'm thinking this list should serve me well in the new city-fight battles, it's up close and personal enough=)

Thanks for the advice all

Airjam

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2006, 11:54:52 AM »
Bionics are fluffy but not really worth the points.
I would give the Chaplain jump packs.
The Razorbacks doesn't need smoke as you want to shoot as much as possible.
The two large tactical squads should either have a transport or get the infiltrate skill as they have no heavy weapon and will need a few rounds vs. shooty armies to reach cc.
Finally, take a Tornado instead of a Typhoon. A Tornado is good against low armoured squads and can also hunt down a Bassilisk.