News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is there a Harlie fan base?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Is there a Harlie fan base?
« on: July 6, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »
I made a poll at Dakka to find out whether there is a Harlie fan base at another 40k site.
Here is the outcome:

I want a Harlequin codex                                                               34%     [ 17 ]
I'm happy with a Harlequin detachment in the Eldar codex       46%        [ 23 ]
I never liked Harlequins                                                             20%      [ 10 ]

Total Votes : 50

Here are some interesting comments of the users:

They fit my personal aesthetic (Dramatic Language for weapons, units, : SOLITAIRE, ENDLESS DANCE, DOMINO FIELD and so forth), they lend themselves to fantastic paint schemes and they play like a true elitist's army.

I very much do want a ridiculously hard to win with book, which should keep away the riff-raff.

I am not a huge harlequin fan.

Personally I enjoy the idea of 'guardians of secret knowledge', living in the webway; I like the idea of eldar (incl. rangers) in general as estranged from eldar/DE society; I enjoy the concept that some of these eldar have had to commit to a ritualised life, or even sacrificed their own souls in order to harness / contain knowledge. I appreciate that song and dance is a medium for some of this knowledge. But I don't understand why they have to be clowns.

I don't enjoy the general harlequin / clown aesthetic.

I don't know how I feel about a harlequin codex; I like to think that it is unlikely for harlequins to amass in large, "major battle", size forces, rather that they would probably draw military strength from elsewhere, IE craftworlds, comorragh, rangers, pirates, etc. I think the Beta-codex was missing these elements. I should say though that I haven't read any BL books and so am not familiar with that side of the fluff.

I also don't like those big cheesy 'the joker' style grinning jetbike / WL faces. It's like they've taken the nice sleek lines and design of the eldar vehicles and whacked a big ugly thing on it just to differentiate it.

As a concept, I've loved the Harlequins from day one. I vividly remember standing in my FLGS with the RTB01 box and original Harlies. It was a hard choice for me and I went with the Marines, but I picked up the Harlies when I got my hands on the Compilation(?).

I voted B and hope DE has the same access to Harlies when their codex launches.

I do not want a separate Harlequin codex. We've got several codexes that are at, or almost at, 10 years old. Obviously GW has enough on their plate. Another Codex will drain time and resources at the detriment of other long overdue books.

As a matter of fact, I don't want any more "new" codexes. I want GW to figure out what they want from each army in terms of play style. I want GW to figure out what they want 40K 6th edition to be about . Then I want GW to release their current armies within a reasonable time frame so that some customers aren't left standing in the cold for entire editions.

Careful what you wish for because you might just get it. Codex Harlequins released for 6th edition and updated in 9th edition with 10th edition in mind...

Harlequins are my favourite thing in the entirety of W40K, with the possible exception of Ork Madboyz.

I think they're cool. Not sure they could sustain a full codex on their own, but I'd play 'em if they got one. I plan on having some Harlies in my future DE armies for sure.

They are all kinds of awesome, but only if you are equally awesome at painting. I'm sure the DE codex will be quite adequate for "count as Harlequins" armies.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Is there a Harlie fan base?
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
I would say that the Harlequin fanbase now is stronger than the Squat-fanbase was after the same time had passed since the last official/semiofficial list. The entry in the craftworlder dex certainly helped to keep the faction alive.
Considering the effect the harlequins have when they get played in tournaments/stores and the high recognition they have they are not likely to slither into oblivion just yet.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
In fact, the Harlie entry in the Eldar codex helped to increase the fan base. It might get even bigger if the new DE codex has some Harlie entry, too.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
Increase compared to what? When they were their own army? Hardly. Increase it among the newcomer kiddies that never heard of them before? Certainly.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2010, 02:11:10 AM »
Of course, I meant the latter.
I recognized that Eldar newbies at our GW store tend to field a Harlie unit.
However, Harlies should only be fielded if they are well painted (see one of the comments).

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2010, 02:51:06 AM »
I actually find Rasmus to be the best person on any of the boards i visit for Drive and knowledge about the harlies!!

He's a one man fan base :D and has more harlies than i do and i have a lot.

60 Troopers classic
3 death jesters classic
5 troopers new
5 shadow seers new
1 solitaire classic
5 bikes classic

Harlies are less forum specific and more player specific, If you have a few players that play the list then they all seem to gravitate to where they think the other players are. IMHO that seems to be here, 40Ko has a board, and the player base, as well as Information gurus who are very much into the harlie ethos!

In saying i have a lot of harlies i have never actually played them as an army! I will do at some point once i get the equipment to get some casts done of the harlies jetbikes, As i want to have some classic Wl's, and a few tempests or 1st gen wave serpents to fit in as well.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2010, 04:51:00 AM »
There are pullers everywhere, I just happen to be one of them for the Harlequins. There are other such "pullers" for the Harlequins, and for all the other little underdogs of Warhammer.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »
There are pullers everywhere, I just happen to be one of them for the Harlequins. There are other such "pullers" for the Harlequins, and for all the other little underdogs of Warhammer.
Do you have names? I'm not aware of other pullers.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2010, 06:04:22 AM »
There are still some more or less inactive groups on yahoo and googlegroups, but no "names" of individuals as such.

Offline Khodexus

• BANNED Spammer - Mods simply don't understand
  • I guess I'm just safest not posting anything...
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2010, 06:54:49 AM »
I'm actually primarily a Dark Eldar fan/player myself, but I still love Harlequins, and all Eldar fluff to be honest.  And Harlequins seem as integral to Eldar fluff as any story about the Fall, the Craftworlders or the Dark Kin.  I may not know as much about Harlies as some people (which is why I've more than once asked questions about them in the backgrounds boards for my story I've been writing) but everything I do know about, I love.  I don't even really think of them as 'clowns'.  They've never looked to me like clowns, I see them as very ostentatious dramatic performers, using their holo-suits and 'masks' much like the theater masks of ancient greece, etc.

Clowns are about making people laugh.  Harlequins may serve the 'laughing god' but they're purpose isn't to create laughter, it's to tell stories, and be lethally wicked in combat while they do it, hehe.
Current Projects: Necrondus – the Lost City, Codex: Dark Eldar – Revised.  C&C appreciated.

Dark Eldar Poster of the Year 009.M3 (2009)
BANNED spammer 010.M3 (2010)

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
I'm an general eldar fan, though maybe with a very very small preference for dark eldar. I would love it to have an exodite and harlequin codex, especially the harly codex, as I have over 2000 pts of harlies myself. Old models look pretty sweet considering how old they are, etc...
It was sweet to see some new ones, I only wish that exodites somehow come back, some used to have rules, hopefully they'll get more attention some day.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline numspha

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »
As for internet famous Harlequin "pullers", Fritz from http://saimhann.blogspot.com/ has joined the ranks in recent years.

If the DE get Harlequins, I suspect we'll see a lot more clown players come out of hibernation. Harlequins + open-topped transports + harlequin-like units in non-elite spots sound like tournament-legal fun times.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
Indeed, things could get interesting if Harlies would enter the DE codex.
Then they would have access to a fast open-topped skimmer, not as a dedicated transport but still as a transport option.

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 05:00:27 AM »
I'm actually primarily a Dark Eldar fan/player myself, but I still love Harlequins, and all Eldar fluff to be honest.  And Harlequins seem as integral to Eldar fluff as any story about the Fall, the Craftworlders or the Dark Kin.  I may not know as much about Harlies as some people (which is why I've more than once asked questions about them in the backgrounds boards for my story I've been writing) but everything I do know about, I love.  I don't even really think of them as 'clowns'.  They've never looked to me like clowns, I see them as very ostentatious dramatic performers, using their holo-suits and 'masks' much like the theater masks of ancient greece, etc.

Clowns are about making people laugh.  Harlequins may serve the 'laughing god' but they're purpose isn't to create laughter, it's to tell stories, and be lethally wicked in combat while they do it, hehe.

Well, yeah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedia_del_arte

I think Harlequins are fair cool, but my girlfriend is crazy about them. If a new codex was released for them, she'd dive in both feet without checking the water. This may have something to do with her fixation on Voldo in the Soul series.

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
Looks like I'm pretty late chiming in on this, but these days I rarely duck my head out of the editorial boards.

There is certainly a 'fan' base out there for harlequins.  There will always be those most interested in such a secretive and esoteric sect, who is probably the most rare (by volume if nothing else) faction in existence (aka other than those fully 'extinct' as it were, such as squats, zoats, etc.).  The problem is that aside from the new codex entry, most 40k players weren't around as far back as 2nd edition to be familiar with them.  I used to field my harlequin army in days passed to much enjoyment, and acceptance among my gaming mates.  As time went on I ended up using the codex approved rules here and there.  But as things are now, unless people already have a harlequin interest from back in the day they don't likely know about the potential options for harlequin armies today (not to say that they are balanced and cohesive and all that, but that it's a possibility for friendly games).  I think that it is certainly a possibility to develop them and make them the elites and HQ of an army where in a Chaos Cultist type fashion Eldar and Dark Eldar units are used for the meat would be potentially capable and cohesive, but I'll ignore any worthwhile word concerning the difficulties and efforts involved in actually wanting to trying to make such an official codex work.  It'd be nice just to have some current 'allies' rules where the use of DE and CWE units were sanctioned officially and the fans and players could find what worked for them.

Alas...pipe dreams as it were in large part.  I do agree that it is very unlikely to see Harlequins in any DE dex in the future, for the reasons Rasmus cited, but hey, we never thought harlequins would see the official light of day again too, so who knows the possibilities. 

As for the aesthetic, to each their own.  If some one does hit them with a blast of tie die...part of me does wither a bit inside, but there are good ways to do harlequins.  One must also not forget from a fluff standpoint their holo-fields.  They are a blur of prismatic colour, and remember to envision the changing masks.  Harlequins are maniacal psychotic monsters to their enemies of such an exotic and alien nature, even to the Eldar standard, that I think a comparison with a stereotypical clown is an effrontery. 

I think due to the time since Harlequin armies marshaled that for most fans it is but a matter of a fond memory, with little conception for a future, and those of the current era only know of them as a detachment.  Regrettable, as I think that the Harlequins are really what hooked me to Eldar, and here I am what...18? years later still playing Eldar (theoretically anyway, haven't played a game with my Eldar but once in 5th ed.).
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline numspha

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:35:41 AM »
All will be revealed in a week, I suspect, but the Harlies being in the DE codex is definitely one of the more persistent rumours.

We'll see.

If you really want to really set yourself up for disappointment, check out Fritz's post here:
http://saimhann.blogspot.com/2010/09/count-as-dark-eldar-harlequins.html#/

No sources are cited, but he claims the 'quins have been "updated for 5th and blow the Eldar ‘quins out of the water" ... among other things.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:37:10 AM by numspha »

Offline Michaelius

« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2010, 05:31:57 AM »
All will be revealed in a week, I suspect, but the Harlies being in the DE codex is definitely one of the more persistent rumours.

We'll see.

If you really want to really set yourself up for disappointment, check out Fritz's post here:
http://saimhann.blogspot.com/2010/09/count-as-dark-eldar-harlequins.html#/

No sources are cited, but he claims the 'quins have been "updated for 5th and blow the Eldar ‘quins out of the water" ... among other things.

And as typically for what he wrotes it turns our that Harlequins in DE dex are point for point and rule for rule identical as the ones in Eldar dex according to people who have seen codex and who are credible warseer posters.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »
This is also what I heard. Harlies are gonna be the same.

But the new DE 'dex will eventually contain the Venom, a fast skimmer with transport capacity of 6 models or so. Here the old Venom from the Harlie 'dex written by Gav Thorpe comes to my mind.

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2010, 05:15:45 AM »
seeing the venom is being put into the DE codex, Ive been thinking about doing an all Harlie Army using the DE codex. Warriors in bright colors, venoms and harlies aplenty. And one nasty converted Archon with some of the older models Ive picked up, and maybe even some Incubi as Solitaires (wont fit fluff with a squad of them, but they are demonic looking enough to fit).

Personally Ive always loved harlies, but never had the cash to field a good sized one myself, but hopefully this time the joke will be on them ;)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2010, 06:00:13 AM »
Well, in fact, the Venom as a transporter for Harlies would make a Harlie army more viable.
But Harlies remain in the Elite section and so one needs to go with Warriors or Wyches as troops.
Reaver Jetbikers seem to make decent FA units with their 36'' move.