News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Conversion-in-process: Assorted IG bits to Ork Battlewagon  (Read 2772 times)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Conversion-in-process: Assorted IG bits to Ork Battlewagon
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
I've had this badly-built Valkyrie model that I got from my LGS second hand for about a year now. I never play with it, and have been trying to get the model apart so I could use the cockpit/wings for a Vulture conversion.

Well, I finally decided what I wanted to do with the rest of the model: build an Ork battlewagon for my slowly-building Waagh of kunnin' boyz. The theme of these Boyz is that some particularly kunnin' boy noticed that the Cadian 'umies get a lot of fighting done. In proper cargo cult fashion, he concluded that if his boyz looked more like the 'umies gear, they'd get more fightin themselves! The alternate explanation I had was a group of orks who have somehow managed to live long enough on Cadia to "go native"

I happened across a trio of similarly-built Sentinels for $35USD at the same LGS and an idea struck me -- I could use the main body of the Sentinel for the cab.  One thing led to another and, well...

The final design concept here is to set it up like a "pony cart" with the sentinel chained up. Some 3d printed small tread sections (think of the FW minelayer for size/shape here). I've got a boy set up with a steering wheel in one hand (raised in the air).
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: Conversion-in-process: Assorted IG bits to Ork Battlewagon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
This sounds like it should utterly kick ass man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »
I've seen so many conversions made from the hacked apart remains of multiple models and it makes me cringe to think how much it costs.

This salvaging of abused models, though: you're doing the Lard's work.  Tremendously creative idea, too.  Consider giving the main wagon a base and modeling stuck wheels or landing gear as seized-up and dragging through the mud.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2015, 03:26:57 AM »
I am going to print some treads for it. I think I have a spare large oval base though.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
While the idea of putting tracks on it is great, I wonder how it would look if you just slapped some more legs along the sides of the Valkyrie hull, and made it a long, shambling walker.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »
Well, I do have another Valkyrie chassis and sentinel body. Might look into it.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!