News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thousand Son Terminators  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Thousand Son Terminators
« on: September 14, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
So I have been playing chaos for a long time and other then taking the occasional squad of thousand sons I have never fielded Thousand Son Terminators. I got my hands on some amazing Thousand son terminator bits and plan to build them next. However with the large range of weapon options for terminators I am at a loss as to what to arm them with. I would magnetize them however I only have 2 shoulder pads per model, so I was curious if their happened to be any Thousand sons players who could advise me as to what I should arm them with. I have enough parts to build 6 total, so I figure 5 rubric terminators with 1 sorcerer.

Cheers
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Thousand Son Terminators
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
Well, I'd plan on this:

Kit for short range, and kit for things that regular Ksons do badly (assuming you're going a full Kson theme). So, equip them for hordes (heavy flamer, combiflamers, power mauls/swords) or vehicles (combimelta/plasma, the occasional chainfist) and plan on deepstriking them. Since most psychic powers are short range, the deepstrike with the sorcerer pays off. The drawback is that you don't get the sorcerer's warp charge for as long as he is in reserve, so there's that. *Walking* terminators up the board is unwise, but it is possible if the rest of the army is suitably fast and scary.

Anyway, that's my .02.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
Regarding weaponry, I agree with Wyddr's point about using them to compensate for the weaknesses of the rest of your army by offering greater diversity against hordes or other non-elite troops.

I'd definitely advocate deep striking the Terminators.  They may be tough, but they're not tough enough to walk up the field against most armies in my opinion.  Send them in as a disruption unit or use them to reinforce a concentrated attack and hope that they land somewhere in the vicinity.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
The Terminators are just a cool conversion set I bought. I mostly have noise marines and nights lords composing the majority of the force, I already have a set of undivided terminators as well as nurgle terminators I was actually considering buying  a land raider for them since the unit is so unique. If they are in a land raider should I arm them differently?
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »
Nope! They'd still be short-ranged killers. You might consider buying them some assault upgrades (a chainfist or two, lightning claws) since charging something is possibly in the cards. Generally I'd treat them the same.

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 03:00:25 AM »
They all have the lower initiative though so are lightning claws a good call? I have a total of 6 bodies to use and I would have magnetized the arms however I don't have extra shoulder pads from the website to use.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:27:03 AM »
Unless we're talking about Horus Heresy forgeworld stuff, Tzeentch Terminators have the same initiative as any other Terminators.

And as they're *normally* equipped with power weapons, lightning claws are often a step up.

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 03:01:58 AM »
Sorry I assumed that they had a lower initiative like the thousand sons marines. I have a total of 6 and plan to kit one out as a sorcerer lord so for the other 5 should i go 2 lightning claws, pf with reaper autocannon and 2 power weapons?
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »
Sorry I assumed that they had a lower initiative like the thousand sons marines. I have a total of 6 and plan to kit one out as a sorcerer lord so for the other 5 should i go 2 lightning claws, pf with reaper autocannon and 2 power weapons?

Yeah, you need to keep in mind that there are really no such thing as 'thousand son' terminators. Just plain old terminators with the Mark of Tzeentch.

I would try to spend the least number of points on them possible. Terminators are very fragile, and work best as a 3 man suicide squad. Load up three with combi-melta or combi-plasma, deep strike them, and let them roast something.

Maybe give one a chainfist in case they survive their first turn on the table.

If you do want to go all in, I'd give the squad a heavy flamer. They are great bits of tech and can cause a lot of wounds on squads. A chainfist is a must, and then otherwise keep them cheap. I usually still run a few with combi-meltas to help with anti-tank.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
I'd also advocate taking the Heavy Flamer.  The Reaper Autocannon has always performed indifferently for me, and Chaos Terminators have so many options for short ranged attacks, either via deep striking or disembarking from a Land Raider, so the Heavy Flamer is an excellent fit for them.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
I have some 3 man squads for deep strike already. I got these models just because they look amazing, when I field them it will always be all together and I am probably going to get a land raider for the unit.

So for arming them go for one with a heavy flamer and chainfist, 2 lightning claws and got for 1 powerfist and 1 power weapon or go for 2 power fists?
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
Sorry I assumed that they had a lower initiative like the thousand sons marines.

Thousand Sons Marines have the same initiative as everybody else. Pretty much always have (though S&P in some editions changed it a bit, depending).

So for arming them go for one with a heavy flamer and chainfist, 2 lightning claws and got for 1 powerfist and 1 power weapon or go for 2 power fists?

If this is one unit we're talking about, I'd go with keeping a power weapon just to keep the point cost low. You also want a guy to take a hit that you won't miss.