News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: has anyone thought of this?  (Read 517 times)

Offline Archon Nickienog

• "These animals they operate on jealousy and lust"
has anyone thought of this?
« on: May 3, 2003, 03:31:59 AM »
after playing for a few years, i had this thought about the 40k  game system..
in CC and in Shooting, why dont troops get Armour save rolls before they get wound rolls? cuz when u think of real life, any projectile or sword or watever would have to go through ones armour before they reach the flesh. and then we roll to wound rolls just to see if the projectle/CC weapon makes a fatal wound.
y did they make it the opposite way? i know its a lil easier because if we do it the way we do now, we dont have to pass the dice around as much
[to hit and to wound by the opponent A, then armor saves by the other apponent B]
but if we do it the way i thought off. wont it be more fun? i mean like SMurfs, they would rolll most of the armor saves, and the ones we missed, all we have to do is roll towound and they die! if the ap is lower we jus go straight to the wounding, this way i still think it is balanced. what do u guyz think?

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
Re:has anyone thought of this?
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2003, 04:13:20 AM »
"Why bother with seeing if the armor will save you, if the hit wasn't potent enough to kill you to begin with"

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2003, 04:41:49 AM »
Statistically the odds to kill a model if you change the order of the procedure remain the same, and it is equal much fun to see how many ones and twos your opponent rolls after you successfully wounded him, on terminators it is even more fun to roll the armour saves at last,because that's the most important and easiest roll for them - and the most dramatic if they fail it.

However, there is a difference when it comes to the shadow field. If you first roll the saves and then to-wound, then a lot more hits will have to be deflected by it, therefore it will fail earlier.

jwu

Offline Ral Caladan

« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2003, 10:32:34 AM »
B/c it is simpler just to do the wound rolls first, esp since an Armor Save is a "save" and you would have to roll the same number of dice, in all likelyhood, as most armor is 5+ or 4+, and only expensive guys like CSM, SM, Necrons and like 2 Aspect Warriors have 3+ saves.  As most wound rolls are 3+ or harder(troop to troop), rolling wounds first has you rolling less dice than if you roll Armor first.  Unless you want to figure out which saves you dice rolling every time, which is impractical, so GW just had to pick which went first.

Offline Shadow Lord

• \,,,/ Metallica \,,,/
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »
Realistically it makes more sense but if were being realistic we would have to have a lot more rules then we do now and 40K would become very compilcated.